Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I can make the quilt tops but what about the quilting? >

I can make the quilt tops but what about the quilting?

I can make the quilt tops but what about the quilting?

Old 01-16-2011, 08:53 AM

If you can do straight line quilting you already know the right moves. I think this tip may help you. Take any solid frabick. Cut a square about 9 inches. Make the sandwich using a sample block,or just draw a simple block for the top. Now in the old days we done things with buying a template. Get a piece of plain paper. Use a glass or a cup to draw around Think in your head of a flower or just simple circles. Draw four circles that over lap.Thread up and quilt along this line. It helps to pin the edges of the sandwich together.If this isn't enough then put the sandwich in an embrodery hoop. Just practice till you please your self. Its not hard. Good Luck to you. This can set your fears at rest and open a whole new world. You can cut out the design on the paper and pin it to your block. Most quilt department sell more complex designs. You can do it. Marvel
Old 01-16-2011, 10:59 AM

I called about the $50 Singer 15-91. It is sold. Sure wish people would take their ads off Craigslist when their item sells. Oh well...the search will continue. Plus - I went into a long explanation about quilting, machine stitching vs FMQ vs LAQ to my hubby - so now he is on board with why I would be looking to buy a 3rd machine & why it would be vintage vs new. Yay!
Old 01-28-2011, 02:51 PM

You won't believe this! I have a friend, who after hearing my angst over FMQ, the search I have started for a Singer 15 or 301, or ??, and so on...

She tells me: "I think I have the machine you are looking for (Singer 15)in storage and you can use it on loan...for like forever!"

She gave me the serial number, I looked it up & confirmed it is a Singer 15-91 with a cabinet! She won't let me buy it or rent it, but is adamant that I can use it "forever". How sweet is that? As soon as we can get things situated we will move it to my house.

Let the FMQ practicing begin!!! Woohoo!!
Old 01-28-2011, 03:08 PM

I have read that you can pull your bobbin thread to the top of your quilt before you start quilting so it doesn't get tangled underneath. Is that the kind of issue you are having? Good luck with your wedding quilts. :)
Old 01-28-2011, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Tropical
I have read that you can pull your bobbin thread to the top of your quilt before you start quilting so it doesn't get tangled underneath. Is that the kind of issue you are having? Good luck with your wedding quilts. :)
No - the bobbin thread won't "catch". I tried what you suggest. Didn't make a difference. Someone here shared that the machine I have - a Singer 403, is next to impossible to FMQ on for this very reason (Singer 400 & 500's). Has something to do with the horizontal bobbin case. Knowing this, I gave up trying to use my 403 & I began the search for a 15 or 301, recommended to me because of the vertical case & wider arm area.

I can't wait to see the 15-91!