Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I can make the quilt tops but what about the quilting? >

I can make the quilt tops but what about the quilting?

I can make the quilt tops but what about the quilting?

Old 01-15-2011, 08:02 PM

There is a book on Amazon that teaches you how to use your walking foot to quilt. It looked pretty interesting. I have tried, heaven knows I have tried, to be good at FMQ. I have come to the conclusion that I was put on earth to give the Long Arm quilters work.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by kathidahl
So I saw some pictures of small quilts on this thread. What are you using them for??? Do many of you do these small projects?
I donated my miniature quilts to http://www.alzquilts.org

I also make table runners, wall hangings, lots of different things. I do a sewing machine placemat with pockets too.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot
Uh-oh - sounds like a vintage sewing machine collector in the making. You already know how lovely two of them are. ;)
Looky what I found on Craigslist! Going to call about it tomorrow morning. $50 including the cabinet! How can I not? FMQ here I come!!!

Singer 15
[ATTACH=CONFIG]161220[/ATTACH]

with the cabinet too!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]161221[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-161215.jpe   attachment-161216.jpe  
Old 01-15-2011, 11:25 PM

I hear you and feel your angst. In 2005 I decided to purchase a pfaff grand quilter and 10' frame. It was about $3,000 (ouch) but I figured if it was costing me $200 per quilt sending it out to a free arm for quilting, I could be ahead in no time. And it happened just that way. In the last 6 months, I have completed 5 large lap memory quilts, 1 lap quilt, a queen sized scrap quilt, and there is 6 more pieced quilts waiting to go on plus I have basted 5 quilts for hand quilting. This will not solve your immediate situation, but it might be worth considering as you work forward. There are lots of these machines for sale second hand as people usually move up to a bigger machine with a bigger throat space. PGQ only has 9". Good Luck!
Old 01-16-2011, 01:15 AM

Check out Leah Day's blog - she is an amazing quilter who uses a DSM and on her blog she has a bunch of quilting patterns on there as well as videos of her doing and explaining each pattern. I have used her patterns on my LA and they are great. She even tells you if the patterns are beginner, beginner-intermediate, intermediate, intermediate-advanced and advanced! http://freemotionquilting.blogspot.com/
Old 01-16-2011, 03:02 AM

I horrible @ it also. I was even to the point of declaring my hatred for it. However. I recently did this black on black hidden star which obscured the effect. The way I saved it was by stitching around the edge of the star using white thread and the overcast stitch. That's as fancy as my machine gets. The star jumped back out and the added stitch detail highlighted the piecing. Instead of FMQ you can consider just highlighting the pattern and the piecing with accent thread color using any simple stitch.

Thanks for this thread. Learned a lot from it. I'm anxiously awaiting my first darning foot!
Old 01-16-2011, 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by AgapeStitches
Do you have any "fancy" stitches on your machine? I have done SID using some of them on my machine....have to go very slow, but it looks better to me than just straight stitches.
This is beautiful. Reminds me of a crazy quilt.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:42 AM

Yep, I have so many quilt tops also. And I usually send them out to be quilted, esp if it is a gift, because I do not want my machine quilting to ruin the quilt top.
But on another note, remember it is the design in the quilt top that makes the quilt, the machine quilting should just be an accent - it should never over power the quilt design.
For baby quilts, I have gone back to yarn tying them, I love the look of it and you can use different colored yarns. I also use my embroidery machine designs to quilt a quilt top. Works great for lap tops. But the bigger quilts are alot to handle.
Someday, I will go back and try FMQ. Because right now I am telling myself, make only wall hangings, you don't need anymore bigger quilts!
Great thread and suggestions and encouragements.
Old 01-16-2011, 05:56 AM

I don't think you will have time to make the quilt tops and learn to free motion quilting before April. For these wedding quilts you may want to send them to a long arm quilter. Another idea is to talk to a LQS that rents out their long arms. They also give instructions.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:36 AM

That looks great and thanks for the idea.