I don't get it........

Old 12-26-2009, 08:20 PM
pal

Thanks, clothfiend, sounds like a plan.
Old 12-26-2009, 08:42 PM

Always happy to help :-)
Old 12-26-2009, 08:44 PM
Power Poster

I feel guilty getting something that nice/pretty stained LOL even knowing that is what it is there for :roll:
Old 12-26-2009, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by wvdek
I would love to come to your home and use cloth napkins!

My DS has made me some and I have fabric to make more.

I'm not sure why folks don't use them, but I was at a dinner two weeks ago, and I was the first out of 15 + ladies who took my napkin and opened it to my side and then placed on my lap. When I needed to dab my mouth, I did so even tho I was wearing purdy red lipstick.

I cannot begin to tell you how many ladies watched me open the napkin, place on my lap, then look at their napkin as in awe, opened and placed it on their lap. However, I was the only one to gently gather and place at the left of my plate when finished.

Basic table manners apparantly have gone the wayside. I love to eat at fancy places so I can use my manners. Oh well!

Good thing you didn't have a seven course meal with all of the silverware. :roll: :roll: :oops:
LOL...so true so true
I use napkins properly even if they are paper...We use the "good" napkins with matching tablecloth when we are having guests for dinner.
Yes, basic table manners have gone by the wayside...I blame society as a whole.
Old 12-26-2009, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by pal
How come people don't use cloth napkins? And what are they
wiping their hands and mouths on? They use them in restaurants - why don't they use them at a sit down dinner
at someone's home? I checked the tablecloth, they didn't
use that as a napkin. Their sleeves? I didn't check their sleeves.
I took 14 cloth napkins out of their holders and re-washed them this morning. #15 was used - it was mine. I don't get it.
I had that problem here, till I wrap the silverware with the napkin, they have to unwrap it to use it, and I tell them, they are meant to be used.
Old 12-27-2009, 02:34 AM
Power Poster

We use cloth napkins all the time, even if we are having a tray on the lap kind of meal. Surprises some newer houseguests, but they "get it" eventually. Just give 'em really sticky, saucy ribs!
Old 12-27-2009, 04:15 AM

Only for special days we use linnen napkins, for normal days we use paper clothes from Ikea.

But I agree that you can eat that way you don't have to use napkins at all. If I eat somewhere and thee are no napkins than I must eat very neat, so I don't have to use a napkin, because I don't want to put my mouth to my sleeves. (I doesn't work if there are chickenwings served!!!)
Old 12-27-2009, 05:06 AM

I feel your pain, my husband will use any cloth napkin any where any time except at home where he wants a paper towel. Go figure. I continue to put cloth napkins out, if he wants a paper towel, he can get it himself. I have caught him wiping his finger on the placemat. Had too many discussions with same result so I just keep mum about it.
Old 12-27-2009, 05:16 AM
Power Poster

I use cloth napkins if we are having a sit down dinner. But when this crowd gets together, there are too many to sit down in the dinning room, so we eat buffet. Then I just buy the large paper dinner napkins, and they work great! And I don't have to go all over the house finding the real ones LOL
Old 12-27-2009, 05:29 AM

well, my friends use them, and make them for every holiday we have. They got me started this year..i made 8 for thanksgiving for my SIL. she was hosting the dinner.
i also made 25 of them for my young,under 7,neices and nephews,
(in the same family), and i did them all with an I-spy square in the center..thinking they could and would use them all year! they turned out so cute! i will see if i can find the picture to post...