I don't get it........

Old 12-28-2009, 06:14 AM

Maybe someone snuck in and got some paper towels when you weren't looking????? Yes, the use of good table manners has gone by the wayside....I blame the schools!!! They don't teach stuff like that in home ec any more....in fact, some schools don't even HAVE home ec!!!!!
Old 12-28-2009, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by pal
We use paper towels for everyday too (too funny, DH rips them in half and gives us each half- oh well)

For Christmas I put out red ones and green ones, and rolled them up in tiny grapevine wreaths. They looked so pretty on the table! I'm going to try again next Christmas!! Or
maybe I'll just put the paper ones in the wreaths - gee whizz.........
I have the fancy napkin holders and I do put the paper napkins in the holders just for fun. If I'm feeling "upper crusty", I put the table cloth on along with matching napkins in holders and have a fancy table...lasts about 30 mins... I have to use my table as a prep table and table cloths with finery don't mix with food prep. Sigh... oh well it's a dream...
Old 12-28-2009, 07:29 AM

Oh, please don't blame the schools! We have a lot on our plates there, so to speak... Seriously, have you seen a lunchroom? The kids eat there with a few adults monitoring (walking around for general crowd control) but without an adult sitting at each table with them and giving them manners' advice.
I received my manners-training from my Mom. I can't eat without a napkin in my lap, just feels wrong. Not to mention that, I do use a napkin.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
Maybe someone snuck in and got some paper towels when you weren't looking????? Yes, the use of good table manners has gone by the wayside....I blame the schools!!! They don't teach stuff like that in home ec any more....in fact, some schools don't even HAVE home ec!!!!!
Sorry, I don't think you can blame schools. I think it is a parent's responsibility to teach kids manners and to model and expect those manners to be used at home and when out and about. Even if the kids are taught formal etiquette in school in some class, it is probably in one semester class for a couple of lessons. Not gonna stick in the real world unless the parents push those lessons at home. And I do think schools should offer home ec and every kid should take it, but unfortunately with the push these days from colleges, this is usually a low priority for most kids. I guess that leaves us parents to expose our kids to these things!
Old 12-28-2009, 08:39 AM

We use both, I have ones that don't require ironing...last month my daughter had a party w/50 people and she used a paper towel holder in the bathroom, because of the flu scare...I thought that was a really good idea...
Old 12-28-2009, 09:45 AM

We have always used cloth napkins. The paper ones are for "looks"- same with the paper towels. My family knows I cringe when they use something that has to be thrown away. They all know how to use the cloth napkins and my daughter delights in folding them in different ways to make the table look special.

Oh- paper towels- they are only allowed a half a sheet. I especially don't like them being used. They even joke about it- quick use it before Mom knows you have it!
Old 12-28-2009, 10:14 AM

Yes, I agree...don't put the whole blame on the schools. Parents need to take responsibility for training. My husband’s family said they didn't need to use or learn manners because they had enough in their name... Yes, our name is Manners.
I broke the ranks and insisted my daughters learn manners and sent them to a class on etiquette because I was afraid I would miss something and I didn't want them to embarrass themselves by not knowing proper protocol. They have thanked us because of this training they were able to know what to do when dining with international dignitaries.
Parents are responsible for children's education .... Not the institutions.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:46 AM

Manners are more improtant than many realize. I had a friend that, when looking to hire someone new, would take a potential candidate out to lunch. His reason? To check their table manners!!! If they didn't "pass muster", they didn't get the job. He often met with clients over a meal, so it was imprtant for his employees to know proper table manners.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:36 PM

I love to use cloth napkins. I have a bunch I made and make new ones whenever I see some fabric I like. I've made placemats to but we have many more cloth napkins than placemats! They are so easy to whip together and I like having a variety to choose from.
Old 12-28-2009, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Barbm
We have always used cloth napkins. The paper ones are for "looks"- same with the paper towels. My family knows I cringe when they use something that has to be thrown away. They all know how to use the cloth napkins and my daughter delights in folding them in different ways to make the table look special.

Oh- paper towels- they are only allowed a half a sheet. I especially don't like them being used. They even joke about it- quick use it before Mom knows you have it!
I am so glad you said that about the paper towels. I too cringe when my dh pulls off a huge sheet to clean up a spill. A cotton towel works ever so much better and doesn't fill up my garbage or landfill. My recycling drives some people nuts - I also have a mulch bin - it makes great cover for my flowers, and all those bugs just love eating away my mulch.