Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
i forgot to renew my drivers license! >

i forgot to renew my drivers license!

i forgot to renew my drivers license!

Old 01-14-2011, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by LoisN
Many years ago, my DH forgot to renew his license. We had moved and the reminder didn't get forwarded to our new address. A Walmart checker noticed it when checking his ID when he wrote a check. He had to retake the written and the driving portions of the test. The written test wasn't a big deal. He went to take the driving portion and the officer told him to make a left turn. He did.....onto a one-way street (going the wrong way). She stopped him and she drove back to the office and told him that he had flunked the test and if he drove off the parking lot (without a valid license), he would have him arrested. He tried to call me at work to come and get him and I was out of my office. So...he had to call his boss and have him come down and rescue him. I had to take off work the next day to take him to another small town nearby to retake the driving portion of the test. Funny...he got the same officer and passed. The nearby town doesn't have any one-way streets. We still laugh about that. It was probably 25 years ago. haha
I've always worried about this because I would hate to have to parallel park. My mother insisted on renewing hers at 89 and responded, "See, they know I'm a good driver, they renewed it for 8 years."
Old 01-14-2011, 01:10 PM

It cost money to send them.People are out of work and prices have gone up.I think that if they spend .41 cents to send you a reminder (which comes out of our pockets anyway)then they cant arrest you and get more money out of you.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:11 PM

oh my goodnes I was sooooo glad to see this post! I did this too and only found out when I tried to buy some claritin at the pharmacy - they would not sell it to me because my license was expired for 2 months! I have never ever ever done that - I was so embarassed. I was on my way to see my son that day too, who is a policeman of course - had to confess to him -he just laughed and said get it renewed as soon as you can mom :) I did in online which saved me from missing a day at work and it was easy, but it took 6 weeks for me to get it! Glad to see I'm not the only one have senior moments!
Old 01-14-2011, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Quiltforme
I cannot do the online it has been more than 60 days....UGHH! Oh well off tomorrow to get a new bad picture Yahoo!

Don't you have to take the written test if you let your license run out? We do in Iowa. And after 70 we can get them for just 2 yrs. at a time. That's fine with me. I didn't like the 6 yr. deal as it was too easy to forget. Never did, but I was always concerned about it. Marge
Old 01-14-2011, 05:03 PM

I went to rent a car last weekend and found out my license was expired! Since 2007! So I went to DMV and even they had a good laugh about it.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:04 PM

My picture on my D.L. is so old nobody believes it is me...... hahaha nice dark hair, now snow white.... I need a new one next year....
Old 01-14-2011, 07:00 PM

I always just check on my birthday anyway, just to be sure if I have to renew or not. Works for me!
Old 01-14-2011, 07:00 PM
Power Poster

Here we get 6 yr. licenses and we renew on our birthdays. We do get reminders, besides we never move, lived here over 41 yr.s. I renew mine a day or two after I get the reminder. I didn't start driiving until I was 35 and don't want to have to take the tests over again.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:15 PM

Oh, Jade! I just did the same thing!! 6 wks after my Nov birthday, the great State of Ohio sent me a notice that I had not renewed my driver's license!! I called a dear friend to tell her of my latest 'senior moment' and bless her, she offered to take me to the License Bureau! Don't you know, the great State of Ohio charged $20.00 late fee!! Wouldn't it be nice if they would have sent the notice 6 wks 'before' my birthday!?!? Sign me "very unhappy taxpayer"! Patty
Old 01-14-2011, 07:43 PM

In Arizona we go 20 years before we need to renew.....