Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I have a challenge for everyone, not quilting.... >

I have a challenge for everyone, not quilting....

I have a challenge for everyone, not quilting....

Old 11-09-2011, 05:41 AM

Wow such beautiful stories coming in! You know quilters seem to be the most amazing people! Lovinmysolider I love your quote "I am a military wife... what's your super power?" That is great! Hugs out to everyone, I sincerely hope a lot more post!
Old 11-09-2011, 06:14 AM

When I was living in a large city and had been out Christmas shopping after work, I noticed something disturbing. An elderly lady was walking ahead of me toward the subway. In her right hand she had a shopping bag. In her left her purse. Her right side was to the buildings and the left was to the open sidewalk and then the streets. Three young men passed her, then doubled back and passed her again. When they started doubling back again, I hurried up to her, slipped my arm in hers (with her purse) and quickly explained to a very startled woman that I thought the young men had been about to grab her purse. They were furious. But the lady and I had a nice chat as we strolled up the street chatting and feeling our own holiday cheer! I cannot say that I am always as aware of my surroundings, but remembering this may keep me more alert, at least for awhile.

Last edited by alwayslearning; 11-09-2011 at 06:16 AM. Reason: to correct myself
Old 11-09-2011, 06:18 AM

The other day I was going into JoAnn's and an elderly lady was leaving JoAnns with her walker. There was no way she could push the door open with her walker. I held the door for her and she was pleasantly surprised. Its a shame that more people do not help others, I was just raised that way....
Old 11-09-2011, 06:26 AM

When going through McDonald's I do at times tell the cashier at the window that I'm paying for the occupants of the car behind me as well.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by SUZAG View Post
I've always looked for the lines at the grocery store that has an elderly single person in them and unload their groceries from the cart to the counter or if I see them struggling to get them in the car, I help them out. I've taught my kids (now in their 20's) to do that also. Of course, my son has a shaven head and tat's all over and it kind of scares some folks at first...LOL

Hopefully when I'm not able to do these things myself anymore, somebody else's kids will help me out!
I could not help from laughing about son with shaved head and lots of tat's all over. If we would remember that we are to look at the heart not the person. If you see me when I first get up I would scare some people too!!!
Old 11-09-2011, 06:49 AM

I try to do things like this when I see a need. This thread is so inspiring that others do it also. On the other side, I was in a grocery line the other day and got to talking to some college kids. When I was getting out my money, the cashier told me that the college kids had said they were paying and not to take my money. I only had < $10 worth of groceries but it made me so proud that some mothers still take time to teach their sons to do things like this also.
PS: I did have the money, they were just nice kids.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:22 AM

We have an elderly woman that just joined our quilt guild. She lives across the street from my Mom so I help with her machine and supplies on the days she comes to sew. I also help her pick material and help her with the patterns we are doing. She just finished her first quilt and it looks beautiful. She is going to give it to her grandson for Christmas. Yes, helping and doing for others feels great.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:24 AM

Since I've moved to a big city, I believe it's even more important to do these little things for the people we see every day. At my work as a nanny, we often pass the same street on our walks. One day an old Chinese lady was trying to get her walker up one step and having trouble. It took me all of a few seconds to do it for her and give her a nice smile. Even though she speaks no English, and I speak no Chinese, we have become friends, and always wave to each other when passing.

I agree, this thread is very inspiring. Keep 'em coming, folks!
Old 11-09-2011, 07:26 AM

I read the other day about 2 ladies who had a flat tire. An elderly couple stopped and the husband helped them change the tire. When they pulled back onto the road and had gone a little ways they noticed the couples car over on the side of the road and the wife waving her hands frantically. The ladies stopped to see what was wrong. The man was having a heart attack. It just so happened that the 2 ladies were nursing students and performed CPR until help arrived. The paper said the ladies said they felt like it was their fault he'd had the heart attack since he'd helped them with their tire. His wife told them no...they had saved his life. I say that was God putting it all together.

Diannia
Old 11-09-2011, 08:37 AM

My husband and I do these kinds of things all the time. My husband regularly buys the coffee for the person in line behind him. (One time a woman was very suspicious, thought he was going to hit on her!)

I regularly fork over a couple of dollars for the person in front of me at the grocery store. My mother-in-law did this a lot, and I always admired her generosity.

My teenage son is great with computers, and I persuaded him to help out a neighbor's adult son, who was in a low-paying, dead-end job. He had an opportunity at a much better job, but needed to take some kind of online test that was several hours long. His computer was down, and you're only allowed an hour on the computers at the library. My son fixed his computer for free. The man passed the test, got the job, and is in the process of buying a house and moving his wife and 2 kids out of their apartment! I was really proud of my son, and he feels great, knowing that a simple action on his part has made such a huge impact on a family.