Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I have a challenge for everyone, not quilting.... >

I have a challenge for everyone, not quilting....

I have a challenge for everyone, not quilting....

Old 11-09-2011, 08:57 AM

I was recently a vendor at a musical event at a hotel and one of the hotel maids asked if she was allowed to buy several items. She didn't have enough money for what she wanted to buy for her mother so I told her I was giving free items for each one she purchased. She was thrilled and kept thanking me.............in another language.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:32 AM

I remember when I was little (50 years ago!) when I drove downtown with my mom, we would sometimes see an older lady waiting for a bus. My mom would stop and pick her up and give her a lift downtown. It wasn't anyone she knew other than from giving her a lift. She was nice that way.

DH and I will often stop and help someone who is having car trouble as he knows about all that. One time we helped two ladies start their car - it was just the gas was flooded. They wanted to pay and DH said don't be silly. and gave them one of our cards. Years later, one called and said she was closing an antique shop and wanted us to come down and pick out something. We wound up with a very neat old wood bucket.

Sometimes just to smile and say hi to someone is an act of kindness.

Last edited by ptquilts; 11-09-2011 at 09:36 AM.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:42 AM

Location: Currently Mosquito (which is outside of Placerville) California

One of my favorite things to do is to pay the toll on a toll bridge or road for the car behind me....I figure it gives me good driving karma.....
Old 11-09-2011, 09:56 AM

My DH and I do stuff like this all the time. A couple years ago I decided that every time I would go into any store that had carts in the lot I would at least take 1 in with me and 2 if possible. Then on the way out I try to leave my cart inside the store. I also try and pick up at least 1 piece of garbage in the lot on my way in. It breaks my heart to see the trash all over our beautiful land and see people ignore it. The prevailing theme with most things is: "It's not my job!", when in reality it is Everybody's job!
Old 11-09-2011, 10:08 AM
Power Poster

These are such great stroies and reminds us all how much an act of kindness can mean!!!!!
Old 11-09-2011, 11:11 AM

that makes you feel so good inside it my kids and my grandson are also doing things for others like that tooo.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:26 AM

what I'm hearing you saying is "practice random acts of kindness." I try to do this all the time and just enjoy making other people smile.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:44 PM

I pay for the car behind me in the fast food drive thru at McDonalds every few weeks. I treasure the look on their face as I am driving away. It is the best good feeling ever! And their look is "priceless"!
Old 11-09-2011, 02:58 PM

I am glad you chose to reward a son who accepted his mother's "no" with grace. You are very kind and I will find a few extra dollars in my budget to accept your challenge!!!

For what it is worth, I was grocery shopping recently and had a young man step into line behind me with two items. I let him go in front of me (despite having waited a while in the line already) and he was very thankful. Really, that was no big deal, so I am going to find a BIGGER challenge! Thanks for the motivation!
Old 11-09-2011, 03:00 PM

I have paid for the person ahead of me in line at Christmas time if they were short, The one that sticks in my mind is the little boy in dollar tree asking for a dollar to buy his mom a chicken, Ok I gave it to him, I later heard his older brother say you take home that chick from Tractor supply mom is gonna be mad at you! I still laugh at that one. Guess mom got a live chick not a statue like I was thinking!!