I have a squirrel problem

Old 09-12-2009, 02:24 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sandpat
I think just to be safe....I'll try a combination of them both :lol:
be careful, Patti, you don't want to mix chemicals, and make something toxic.
Sorry, my advice wasn't so good. It sounded good at the time! :oops:
Old 09-12-2009, 02:27 PM
Power Poster

I do know that squirrels are very destructive, and yes, they will winter up, under your eaves. We have felt paper underneath, and they got, 'inside', and we have oak trees...hence...acorns.
My brother got under there, and pulled on some of the loose felt paper, and got an avalanche of acorns coming down.
They will also climb under your hoods of your vehicles and nest in there, and chew wires, and then your car won't start!
Not to mention, the critters that will start coming around, looking for them. :shock:
Old 09-12-2009, 03:37 PM
Power Poster

Hey Mel...hows is your squirrel now??? We need to know what worked for you.
Old 09-13-2009, 01:26 PM

good to know this Skeat! blame the mothball answer on my hubby!
wow, 22...yeah...I'd have gone mad! :roll:
So, after you lured them away with sardines, and pour ammonia, all the way around...they had to leave to go find food, huh?
what were they eating while under your house?[/quote]

Yes, they moved out:)They would not cross the line of amonia...we tried the mothballs first as someone had suggested...they rolled them out of their way and went on in:)They left to find housing that didn't stink I guess:)It was a rental house out in the country on a foundation (no basement) and had sat empty for about a year...so, they moved in I guess underneath w/all the cousins in tow!:)I don't know what they were eating under the house, but, when we first heard them we heard them wrestling around and thumping our floor...for I don't think there was much clearance :). Then the outpouring stink....we had to immed. open windows..take the baby and sleep elsewhere that first night:)So, moving them out was a priority!:)It was a simple cure and it worked!:)Skeat
Old 09-13-2009, 01:45 PM
k3n
Power Poster

Just checking back to see if Mel sorted out her squirrel problem...

While I'm here, question for you Skeat - you keep chickens, I know. What do you do about mice in the henhouse? My Barney Cat is useless - he just sits in the doorway and watches them play :shock: :lol: ! Dougal Dog is quite a good mouse killer but he can't be given free access because he steals and eats the eggs :shock: :lol: ; obviously poison is not an option because of the chooks, any ideas?

Sorry for the hijack Mel - it's just that I saw Skeat was here and wanted to pick her brain! :oops: :D
Old 09-13-2009, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by k3n
Just checking back to see if Mel sorted out her squirrel problem...

While I'm here, question for you Skeat - you keep chickens, I know. What do you do about mice in the henhouse? My Barney Cat is useless - he just sits in the doorway and watches them play :shock: :lol: ! Dougal Dog is quite a good mouse killer but he can't be given free access because he steals and eats the eggs :shock: :lol: ; obviously poison is not an option because of the chooks, any ideas?

Sorry for the hijack Mel - it's just that I saw Skeat was here and wanted to pick her brain! :oops: :D
Okay....I might be a smart country girl w/smart animal tricks...but, I was totally blonde in finding out I was part of a 'hijack' in skunk topic!!:)Oops...(besides, aren't we always bad about that...even in our quilting circles and topics?!)LOL Okay...here's the scoop on mice...I don't have any in the barn....I know that sounds crazy...but, I don't. I keep all my feed in the metal trash cans w/lids...I think that is a big plus in that and haven't ever found one in the hay:)I don't have a working cat either...it is too well fed! Could be a dog issue to the lack of...they love to find them in the field and play mouse ball...gross, I know...but, could be why the lack of too. I do know they sell at farm stores traps to catch them alive(rat ones too). Also...(don't read squimish people) the glue sticks work great! I do have some type of sign that reads...sneak to this house's attic! The glue traps work great! I don't want to think of dead mice full of poison in my insulation, etc:)So, give it a try..:)Skeat
Old 09-13-2009, 01:59 PM
k3n
Power Poster

Thanks Skeat, I'll check out the local farm store to see if they have something like that. Do you feed your chooks by hand or do they have a permanent feeder? I have the latter and sometimes I swear the little b....gers sit watching and waiting for me to fill it up! :twisted:
Old 09-13-2009, 06:28 PM

Well, I think he might have found another person to annoy, I haven't seen him in a few days!

I checked my yard, and there doesn't seem to be any new holes, just the old ones. Maybe I stunk him out with that second dose of coyote urine... I really put a lot last time. Lets hope he says away!
Old 09-13-2009, 10:41 PM
k3n
Power Poster

Good news, Mel! :D Maybe he found all his stash and moved it somewhere else. And I hope the coyote urine ( :shock: ) isn't too stinky! :D I've heard of ppl using lion dung to keep rabbits out of their veggie plots - don't know how you persuade the lion to part with it though? :shock: And just exactly HOW do you persuade a coyote to pee into a bottle??? :shock: :lol:
Old 09-14-2009, 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by k3n
Thanks Skeat, I'll check out the local farm store to see if they have something like that. Do you feed your chooks by hand or do they have a permanent feeder? I have the latter and sometimes I swear the little b....gers sit watching and waiting for me to fill it up! :twisted:
I feed by hand now...use to feed in the feeder that hangs inside but, not all seemed to get a fair share:)(Yes, some piggie little chicks in the barn!) but, the feeder doesn't touch the ground...maybe that helped me too-not sure!

Hope that squirrel 'deterent' keeps doing it's job:)sounds very hopeful! Skeat