Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I live in a BUSY neighborhood!

Our backyard backs up to woods (plus we live 6 miles past nowhere... LOL!) so we have all kinds of critters... deer, badgers, raccoons, squirrels, rabbits, rats, possum, (darling little) red foxes, bats, bald eagles, hawks, owls, starlings, robins, hummingbirds, doves, woodpeckers (grrrrrrrr! They drive me NUTS!)... you name it. A couple of summers ago DH was out walking the dog when he & a couple of neighbors saw a wolf. There's been bears rumored to be close by (I live about 1/2 mile from a river, too). It's never dull around these parts!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the photos I really like them, especially the turkeys.

Blog Entries
    Just have to post this...my 7yo DGS just came to spend the night and his mama (DDIL) said "Be sure to tell Nana what Mama and Daddy did last night" OoooKKKKK! LOL So he tells me that something woke them up at 4:00 AM this morning and they thought someone was breaking in their house!! Now just to set the stage, they live in a upscale neighborhood on the huge Reservoir where all of MS fish, ski sailboat, etc ....so they are not out in the country. Anyway, this noise wakes them up and they go to check it out...an Armadilla is trying to get IN their house!!!! The noise was his hard shell beating against the wall of the house. So, my son (who BTW is a doctor whose common sense escapes him sometimes) decides to get his gun and shoot it because they can't scare it off!! But he only wounds it and it runs around their yard and then he loses sight of it so now he can't find the thing. I ask my grandson if the neighbors woke up and he said "No, no one heard the gun shot"...so much for Neighborhood Watch! AND on top of all this noise, the 3 kids NEVER woke up!! I'm just guessing here, but my son probably went armadilla hunting when he got home this afternoon!!

He's going to get the nickname of "gunslinger"...last year he killed a snake that was in the common area by the water. Of course, there are alligators in the water, too. And the kids just brought home a huge turtle that was in the middle of the street. As last sighting, "he" was in the flower bed!!
    Last edited by Nanamoms; 05-24-2012 at 03:33 PM.

I've got a herd of Mule deer that I detest. They eat up all the bird food, and I have had the males tangling in the back yard during rut.
    We used to have rabbits and ground squirrels, now we just have fox squirrels. And with the fox squirrels, we got foxes, a mountain lion once, a bear once and now coyotes.

No Cardinals, but Spotted Towhee. Mourning and European Collared Doves, House Finches, Scrub and Blue Jays, and after a fire even had Stellar's Jays. Mountain and Black Capped Chickadees. Coopers and Sharpshinned Hawks. Once and a while - Red-tails.

Most annoying flyover - C-130s. The will come in from any direction almost at rooftop level, and they always seem to travel in 2s and 3s.

Right now the heat in the desert is bringing out all kinds of nasty bugs! I have sprayed but can't seem to get all of them.
    Mary

We have a pair of orioles who nest here every year! They make several different sounds and today I watched their young starting to fly in our apple trees. Love to see them and hear them. We also enjoy several pairs of chattery house wrens who always have lots of "news"!
    jillnjo

We live in A Wooded area and have all the about. The most rememberable was a fox had her babies in a den at the side of our house. It was so much fun to watch the little ones play.

Love the baby deer. Sometimes they get lost in our yard. What a fun time.

Last year we had a wood duck nest in a tree right outside our bedroom window and we watched as they all fell from the nest to their Mother below. That was such a great experience.

Love living in the woods!!!!!!!!
    Mary

Blog Entries
    I cam home a wile ago & there was 2 deer in the back yard. also we have a herd of cats ours & the farm across the road. racoons that like to snake on kittens. they got 4 last summer. a couple of opossums that eat on out front porch every night plus the cute little skunk that was on the porch a lot last year. we also have a very busy neighborhood.
    catherine antone

Blog Entries
    RABBITS!!
    MaryKatherine
    marykayhopkins123.blogspot.com

We have deer, turkeys, squirrels, raccoons, bobcat, coyotes, all kinds of bugs, spiders, lizards, turtles, the occasional alligator in the river that goes past my backyard. I live in the woods, nearest neighbor 3 miles away, so I am sure there is plenty more I don't know about.
    Jeanann

Theres nothing wrong with me a little chocolate won't fix.

Deer, moose, bear, turkeys, owls, fisher cats (nasty!!!), beaver, field mice, chipmunks, squirrels, hummingbirds, cardinals, bluejays, woodpeckers, finches, purple martins, sparrows, crows, garter snakes, turtles, red foxes. There are probably more animals, but I really don't pay attention. (LOL)
    Anita

The only place that housework comes before quilting is in the dictionary.

Blog Entries
    We have Eastern bluebirds (two hatchings this year and a third on the way), gophers (land turtles to anyone but native Suthuhnuhs), bully mockingbirds (chases crows and hawks), owls, several kinds of widow spiders(not all are black), and cardinals.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    We have turkeys, coyotes, fisher cats, bears, deer, fox, hawks, ground hogs, moose, Canada geese. Used to have racoons and rabbits but haven't seen any for many years. Thankfully haven't seen any snakes for a long time either. There are some skunks and also plenty of squirrles and pesty little chipmunks.

We have a least two rabbits, tons of squirrels, several chipmunks and occasionally a groundhog. And we live downtown.
    Margaret

"If the devil could dance in empty pockets, he'd have a ball in mine."

Life is a coin. You can spend it any way you wish but you can only spend it once.

Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!
    several ferral cats, tons o squirrels, deer, too many trash can scavenger racoons and opposums. love the birds. and we have 4 dogs, 2 cats, 2 snakes of our own so it's never quiet. the dogs bark at anything approaching the yard. one of the yorkies loves to chase squirrels. I pray she never catches him! lol The cats proudly leave rats, mice or chipmunks on the porch. gotta love that. yea, I could do without the proud display. with the river only 1/4 mile away we get geese and ducks. most of them stay on the other side o the fence thanks to the noise on this side o the fence. coyotes and hawks help clear out the mice too but thank goodness don't bother to share their prizes.
    Last edited by cherrio; 05-25-2012 at 07:17 AM.
    You never stand taller than when you stoop to help a child.

Blog Entries

Critter

Similar neighborhood - groundhogs (eat my tulips, so wish I could get rid of them). Possums - don't see them very often, mostly late at night if there's something edible on the back deck. Turkeys like to nest at night in our maples. Deer like our yard - wish they didn't - they eat almost ANYTHING! Finally convinced the red squirrel that he'd find more to eat OUTSIDE! He was in the house for more than a week. Ditto with the BAT! Sometimes I hate spring! We get at least one bat every spring. Our house is 150 years old, so there are too many cracks to plug up. And we can hear the squirrels scratching around beneath attic and second floor floorboards. They usually don't make it to the 1st floor, but one did this year. He was frantic to get out - and I opened the door for him. He finally figured it out. Thank goodness!

Blog Entries
    cats, dogs, groundhog, more cats, birds, snakes, even more cats, squirrels, rabbits, possum, did i mention cats! we have 5 indoor cats, our next door neighbors haveabout 15-20 indoors (they catch the strays they can and have them fixed) and there are TONS of strays around here, we've already had one litter born under the shed.... sigh.... i like cats but there are some limits ah well at least if they're around here we know they'll be fed and hopefully get fixed.
    http://babyfire04.blogspot.com/
    If it makes you happy, it's worth the time!

Blog Entries
    All we have is lots of bunnies that live next door under her trees and drive our beagles nuts!

I live in suburban Atlanta so not so much....but deer, owls (including one that sounds like a very loud monkey), coyotes, rabbits, possums, squirrels, lots of birds including woodpeckers, and the usual dogs and cats. Oh, and some kind of snake that laid eggs across the street and fascinated the little girl there as we went looking online to find out what kind of egg was soft and leathery outside but with a hard inside.
    Mistakes are just opportunities to invent a new quilting technique!

Deer. 14 in the front yard last week. I have lost two cats to coyotes. Bobcats. Great Horned Owls. We had a nest of Cooper's Hawks one summer, not to many chipmunks that summer. Saw a Bald Eagle in one of our trees. We have seen couger track, but have never seen the cougar. The bigest gray squirrels you ever saw and we feed the birds. We live out in the the Deschutes Forest.
    Marie

In my neighborhood I have about 30 deer who like to sleep on my laterals (septic lines). Two stray feral cats. Ground hogs, squirrels, raccoons, wild turkeys and an Akita. Oh yes, I also have one hubby!! LOL.(had to throw that one in)
    Aronel aka Lee

Hummingbirds, quail, bunnies, big lizards, we hear coyotes nearby, rattlesnakes and scorpions occasionally, little chipmunks, a few deer in the winter...we live in the desert! A quail sits on our back fence every morning.

Hawk, morning doves, Pileated woodpeckers-pair, small woodpeckers, grey fox, coyote, skunk with 3 babies, woodchuck, turkeys, 6/7 deer, cardinals, blue jays, bees, hornets, wasps, woodchuck, rabbits, snakes, squirrels, chipmunks, hummingbirds, snapping turtle, to name a few
    After 2 years with the same signature I have been requested to remove it. Bye

Talking I have a busy backyard!!

We have deer, racoons, fish, turtles, hundreds of types of birds (we live along a waterway),but especially love the hummingbirds and redbirds. Oh, and a really pretty woodpecker, gorgeous owls and hawks. Foxes, bobcats, possums, skunks, coyotes, bees and wasps, cats, dogs, squirrels, beavers and all types of critters associated with living beside the waterway. Wouldn't trade it for anything. Oh, a big damn right smack dab in our back yard too. Love it, I know I am really blessed.

Three bobcats, mama and two babies. Sure surprised my dog. Luckily Mama bobcat stayed in the bushes.Name:  0522120825950002.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  18.4 KBName:  downsized950522120824a.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  13.9 KB

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast