Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I was making progress until.............. >

I was making progress until..............

I was making progress until..............

Old 03-10-2010, 10:23 PM

As you all probably know we had a very major flood last year & right now things aren't looking too great & it could possibly be a repeat of last year but maybe a foot or two less but who knows. I figured I had better get my area where I do my cutting & have all my fabric back in some kind of organized kaos. I was all pumped to do this & had gotten a little done when I discovered we had water coming in our basement. At first we thought it wasn't too bad until I started moving some things on the shelves where we could hear a rather loud drip, drip. Needless to say my sewing area has been put on hold again since part of the basement is torn apart & I have to keep wiping the water up. Would anyone like to come help? I'm trying to get all my things that are on the floor & not in plastic tubs up just in case it would get worse. I figure I'll be getting up about every hour or so to check & make sure it hasn't spread. Time to go mop up again & then take a nap for about an hour & start all over again. Doesn't it sound like fun????
Old 03-10-2010, 10:29 PM
Power Poster

So sorry
{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}
Hoping things work out ok and the drip stays a drip and doesn't flood
Old 03-10-2010, 11:21 PM

Ohh Nooo! I am so sorry! Not fun at all. Do you know where the water is coming in at? Is it something that can be easily fixed? I sure feel for you. Wish I lived close & I would help witht he water extraction. Wishing you the best of luck.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:33 PM

I have a very good friend whose sister lives in N.D. I heard you were in for more of the same. So, so, soooooooooooo sorry!

We'll be keeping our fingers and toes crossed for you!
Old 03-10-2010, 11:40 PM
Power Poster

As a former flood victim I feel your pain!!! (((HUGS)))
I hope it doesn't get any worse for you!!!
Old 03-10-2010, 11:43 PM
Banned

Oh I am so sorry this is happening to you, Have you thought about getting a pump. I no before we lost our house the neighbor had to leave a pump running in the winter to keep the water from under there house. we never had any problem with our house thank goodness, but it maybe something for you to check out. it would sure beat what you are donning now. you need your sleep or you will get sick. Penny
Old 03-11-2010, 04:26 AM

I do not know how people who live in flood zones do it. I'm just too lazy to clean up that mess every year!

I hope it turns out better than last year.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:56 AM

Sump pumps are great.....unless you lose electricity....ask me how I know!!!

Good luck!
Old 03-11-2010, 05:25 AM

Sorry to hear about the water problems. I can empathize. The year after we moved into this area, our basement flooded, ruining carpet, books, furniture...

I hope you are able to contain the water.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:45 PM

Update!The water has stopped for now. It finally quit coming in about 1:30 a.m. & has been fine today except for a couple of little drips. We've always had problems with this part of our basement & we thought for sure we had it fixed this time. We called the guys that had put our new window well & patio in so they came over to see what was going on. Once it dries up enough they are going to put a sealant all around the foundation where the patio is & hope this does the trick. The weird part is is that we had taken out the window a few years ago that gave us all the trouble, it is cemented up & now more cement with the patio & the water still manages to come through the wall somehow! It gets wet but doesn't make the puddles what makes the puddles are the bolts that used to hold the window well & there is just enough of an opening where the water can trickle through. Those will also be sealed up when they fix the outside. I also found water dripping down our chimney onto my tubs of fabric but at least they kept the water out. I think someone is trying to tell us our house is just one big drip!! Our sump pump is running pretty often now so we know it's definitely wet out there. Thank you all for your concerns & I will keep you posted.