Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • I might be the only one who didn't know this but... >
  • I might be the only one who didn't know this but...

• I might be the only one who didn't know this but...

Old 05-13-2012, 08:13 PM

This is one of those things you just do not think about. There are soooo many it is mind boggling.
    Old 05-13-2012, 08:21 PM

I too wipe the cart down but also wash the bottom of my purse!! I also use the paper towel to turn off faucet then open door then throw away.
    Old 05-14-2012, 02:22 AM

I had heard that a few years ago on the John Tesh radio program. He said to never put your food up there. Another thing I heard on his program was to never set your purse on the floor of a bathroom stahl, to always hang it on the handle or your shoulder.
    Old 05-14-2012, 03:23 AM

I think the number one growth industry in the US is people telling you what you should never do.
    Old 05-14-2012, 04:18 AM

Location: in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)

Not only do I put the plastic seat up, I use the safety belt through the handles of my purse to protect it from a grab-and-run. We've had a few stolen from our local grocery store.
    Old 05-14-2012, 05:55 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

Originally Posted by AZ Jane
    When we were kids, we ate dirt all the time. We survived and I'm afraid to think of what might have been in that!!
    I so wholeheartedly agree !!! Have we become a too sanitary world?
    Old 05-14-2012, 06:18 AM

I remember a while back.. on 60 minutes they did a story on germs. They did two different houses. One they hired a cleaning company to clean the entire house. The second one was cleaned by a middle aged woman. They came in with swabs and tested exact areas in each house. The worst area in both houses for germs.. kitchen counters. 2nd was the dish cloth, 3rd was cuboard doors/handles. When I had to take my sanitation classes much later in life.. we tested different areas of a house also.. we came up with the same thing. The very last thing we did for class each day.. wash our hands. Then we rubbed in this liquid onto our hands... placed them under a blacklight. it showed where we actually cleaned long enough and scrubbed long enough.. the very last day, we did this method with our local heath care workers. The only ones that actually washed their hands long enough.. was surgeons.

So if anyone is so worried about germs.. our own kitchens are scary. Think about when you go to see your doctor, and he does a quick 10 second wash of his hands.. that is not long enough..but 99% of the people feel safe because they see them under water with soap..
    Old 05-14-2012, 06:58 AM

It is kind of icky when you THINK about it ... but pretty funny too ... so HOW did WE all grow up and survive all these awful germs ??? How did MY kiddos survive their childhoods just 15-20 yrs ago, before all this Germ-a-phobia ???
    I was a kid back in the 60's and our moms never compulsively cleaned off carts and handles or all the 1000's of things we touched as kids ...
    The one thing I DO remember being taught was NOT to EVER sit on toilet seats - and to wash hands before we ate, but that was about it !!
    We played in ditches, in the dirt, in the woods, in sandboxes, swam in ponds and lakes, caught crawdads, bugs, worms and critters, went camping, ate food that fell on the dirty picnic tables or on the ground and we didn't get sick or die ... guess we all had built up Immunity !!
    Something all these pampered, indoor video-playing, germ-free children of today just won't have !! LOL

Last edited by TexasGurl; 05-14-2012 at 07:16 AM.
    Old 05-14-2012, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
    I think the number one growth industry in the US is people telling you what you should never do.
    I wish we had a like button. I completely agree with you.
    Old 05-14-2012, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by jcrow
    When I went grocery shopping with my niece two summers ago in Texas, I grabbed a cart and stuck my purse in the top part of the cart. She stared at me for the longest time before she told me that people put kids with dirty diapers up there. I couldn't believe I hadn't ever even thought about that. And all that time I was putting my nice purses there. And I would save the top part for my bagged fruit and veggies. Oh my!!! Makes me cringe when I think about it. Did you all know that? I can't believe I never thought about it before.
    do they NOT put kids the seat where you're from?