Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I might be the only one who didn't know this but... >

I might be the only one who didn't know this but...

I might be the only one who didn't know this but...

Old 05-14-2012, 06:32 PM

Yep, the immunity is what is missing, look at how many more kids are sickly.
Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
I'm in favor of good hygiene - but I think we've gone totally overboard on 'sanitizing'

How can our bodies build up any immunity to anything if they never get exposed to anything 'minor'?

Sometimes I think bleaching everything in sight is more harmful than our normal household bacteria.
(Exceptions: if someone comes over with something 'bad' - etc)
Old 05-14-2012, 08:03 PM
Power Poster

I take immune suppressants so technically I am very vulnerable when "out and about". The only thing I do is carry anti-bacterial wipes in my glovebox. I generally go antiquing, thrift shopping and grocery shopping, if my hands end up a bit dusty/sticky I wipe, but that's about it. The most important thing is to keep your hands away from your face....particularly your mouth and nose....my biggest worry when in big shopping centres is theft, so my bag is worn across my body and tucked under one arm....I don't let go of it for a second as for public toilets....I learned to "hover" from a very young age....have also been known to use my foot to press the flush if the circumstances are particularly dire
Old 05-15-2012, 03:25 AM

If you have a healthy immune system, the germs you come in contact with on door knobs, shopping carts, etc. will NOT hurt you, even if they are the "super" bug type. Your body will fight them. If you constantly use antibacterial soaps and cleaning products (everything from bar soap to spray cleaners to wipes) you will lower your immune system and open yourself up to germs. The wipes the stores use are antibacterial. Germs become resistant to these products and mutate over time into "super" bugs which nothing will kill or not kill easily. Hand sanitizers are alcohol based and are okay to use as germs can't build up resistance to alcohol. Bleach (Clorox) is also okay to use for the same reason. If we want to be healthier we must STOP using antibacterial products for cleaning ourselves and our homes. Over use of these products is the same as over use of antibiotics....not a good thing to do. You don't run to the doctor for a prescription of Penicillin every time you have a sore throat, so why use an antibacterial product every time you clean your body or house? Doesn't make good sense and is dangerous to your health. Scientific studies back these claims. Best cleaners? Good old NON antibacterial soap and hot water (for your body) and bleach solution (for cleaning). Other good cleaners: ammonia (for windows and glass), vinegar (cuts grease and works well on windows, too). Make sure you never mix bleach and ammonia as you can kill yourself with the gas it produces (same as the "mustard" gas they used in WWI to kill enemy soldiers!!!) Just wanted to put in my 2 cents.

To conclude: don't over stress with germs. They help keep us healthy by building up our immune systems! And yes, I know, some people can be gross with their hygiene habits, but think about it, they are usually extremely healthy! LOL
Old 05-15-2012, 07:57 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

Originally Posted by Mad Mimm View Post
Studies have shown that grocery carts are among the dirtiest objects we touch on a frequent basis. The study done on grocery carts showed that along with germs and bacteria, fecal matter was one of the substances found in highest concentrations on carts.
This is what I'm worried about. The fecal matter on the carts. I wash the handle and all around the top of the cart because sometimes I grab the cart and pull it behind me, but I don't think I could wipe down the area where the baby sits well enough.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:19 AM

Default Bigger problems than germs

Germs are everywhere so I try not to think about it and try to stay safe without being obsessive. But, the bigger problem may be putting your bag where anyone can reach into it. I've never understood why anyone would put their bag, frequently gaping open and sprouting papers and wallets, into their cart. I have seen vulnerable purses in carts while their owners have turned their backs or even gone out of sight to another aisle.

I may be less than fanatic about germs, but I NEVER put my purse down. It's always on my shoulder while I am in a store.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:06 AM

I know the one who started this post is sincere and it's a good point, but you just can't imagine what "germs" a first grade teacher (or any other teacher, for that matter ) encounters in a day at work. I had never had mumps and a child with mumps kept returning to school daily. I'd send him to the office for him to be sent home and he'd return the next day. After the third day, we decided that all had been exposed so he stayed at school. Very few kids caught mumps and I never did either. This sounds gross, but allergy and cold "noses" and eyes ooze all over the place. And let's not talk about the unexpectied surge of puke and diarrhea. So we develop an immunity like no body's business. It's good to be cautious up to a point. I agree with those who say that general good hygiene of washing hands to avoid spreading germs is enough. This has been an interesting thread.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:02 PM

It's true. I read a news article about a test they did on some shopping carts and the results made my stomach turn. I use the wipes the stores offer and wipe the cart handle and all around the area where a child would sit. People just don't seem to care about spreading germs. My husband said you would be surprised at how many men go to the restroom and don't wash their hands where they are done ( I've seen women do that too) and then they go handle items in the store. Ugh!!!
Old 05-15-2012, 03:28 PM

Germs are everywhere and we can't stay away from them all, but with shopping carts....we always wipe down the seat and the handles. When my son was little, I took him to the dr for a check up and right after that, he ended up with pink eye. The Dr. said it was probably from the waiting room. Also, one of my kids got pink eye from swimming. I didn't know you can get pink eye in the water. We can't hid from everything, but it doesn't hurt to take some precautions.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:10 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
Sometimes I think bleaching everything in sight is more harmful than our normal household bacteria.
(Exceptions: if someone comes over with something 'bad' - etc)
Are you saying I should bleach the people who come over with something "bad?" lol
Old 05-15-2012, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by earthwalker View Post
as for public toilets....I learned to "hover" from a very young age....
Too funny! As I get older it gets a little more difficult, especially when I'm trying to hold on to my purse too.