I remember when....

Old 09-13-2010, 05:31 AM

Oh, Peyton Place. My girlfriend told me that something 'really dirty' was on a certain page. Don't remeber what page or what it was but I'm sure it wouldn't even raise an eyebrow nowadays. Whatever it was you had to use your imagination to figure out what it was, but we were so young and innocent we had no clue, LOL! Oh, I'm so enjoying being "Back in the 50's again". May in Jersey
Old 09-13-2010, 05:35 AM

Yes and what about sneaking around to read Lady Chatterleys Lover. WOW
Old 09-13-2010, 06:38 AM

you are so right. my great aunts would take me to coney island every summer and Steeple chase and nathans were first on the list.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:42 AM

Remember bell bottoms,poor boy sweaters, fishnet hose, and mini skirts? And trying to hear the dirty words in "Louie, Louie"? And Tangee lipstick that was a different color on other girls.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Dodee
Oh, yes - the saddle shoes - I loved them 'back then'. We were married in 1955; our daughter was born a year later in 1956 nd our son in 1957. To this day, our daughter's favorite songs are the "Oldies". We lived in Illinois then and a little in Ohio in the 50's. Loved those times.
Yes, Edie, they were innocent times and I sure do miss them. The words that are used on television nowadays weren't allowed to be spoken back then. I couldn't believe my ears when that started. And exposure of body parts -- my, my!! Times have definitely changed and not so much for the better I'm afraid.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:36 PM

hry kids,
aSo much we didnt do or want too do I f i was going on a date,I had to be home by 10:00 and then only on a Fri. or Sat. Even in N.Y city things were rather inocent. How things have changed since then, now Im just glad to live in texas ,seems things are nice and slow here. I also have room tto move around ,homes are homes not holes in a wall.
aLSO ROOM TO PARK A CAR. All inall i love n.y. but am glad to live here.
Old 09-13-2010, 05:17 PM

I remember walking around the corner to the "Pink Store," to buy Kits (remember the little square chewy candy), getting dressed up to take the bus downtown, flour bins in the kitchen and, God Forbid, cooking with bacon grease! Also, knowing and trusting the mailman and the paperboy. Then there were those turtles that you could buy from the aquariums at Kresgee's, TG&Y and Woolworths. Also, good music with no warning labels on the cover! Oh, those were the days, weren't they?
Old 09-13-2010, 06:42 PM

Oh boy...just listen to us talking about "Good Old Days." And we used to laugh at our parents when they talked about the "Good Old Days". What goes around comes around!!!
My kids think it's really funny when I tell them that even when I was engaged to be married I had to be home by 11:00 on a Saturday night.
I really mis Woolworths Dime Store, sitting at the counter eating cheeseburgers and fries for 1.00.
Old 09-25-2010, 04:03 PM

SO, did I. I ironed all the 'flat stuff'. And, no pay, but better still. I got to listen to the soaps on the radio. We started in the morning with Arthur Godfrey, then Don McNeil and the Breakfast Hour from the Sears Tower in Chicago, then later The Brighter Day, The Secret Storm and my all time favorite, Ma Perkins. Did you know, that Virginia Graham from the 'Girl Talk' show of the 70's was Ma Perkins AND, Ruth Martin from All My Children was her daughter inlaw in the program and that Judge Loyal's daugher Penny, IFrom As the World Turns) was friends of all of them and she and Virginia Graham had cameo appearances on All My Children. But, don't ask me what I age for Breakfast this morning. hahahaha

Originally Posted by Rhonda
Originally Posted by debbieumphress
I remember that too. My first job paid was when I was 5 and I got to iron my dad's boxer shorts, hankies and the pillowcases for 3 cents each. He was military and that's just how my mom did it. Also got allowance for doing chores.
Now the memories are flooding in. I don't know if this is good or bad. Sureal.....
I had to iron everything from hankies to shirts but I never got paid for it! LOL I never got an allowance. Just had to do chores.
Old 09-25-2010, 04:16 PM

My favorite memory is of going to the movie theater....only one in town. I could get in for 9 cents. A coke ( in the small bottles, 6oz. I think) was 6 cents. A bag of popcorn was a nickel and a Snickers candy bar was also a nickel. The whole outing cost only a quarter! Late 50's....those were the days!