I remember when....

Old 09-25-2010, 05:47 PM

Oh mrspete - I had forgotten all of those memories - do you remember "The Legend of Hilltop House?" Pinky Lee? Oh yes, Virginia Graham with her boufant hairdo - Its all coming back to me now!
Old 09-25-2010, 08:24 PM
Dee

How about Whispering Streets and My True Story? A popsickle at the Dairy store was a nickel. Cherry coke and straws for all your girlfriends. Dairy Queen cones for a nickel. White Castle Hamburgers for a dime. The 50's, what beautiful memories, what wonderful times. At school dances my dad would take me and pick me up. On dates had to be at 8:30.
Streetcars to go downtown. But had to dress up, as you didn't know who you would meet. Pink lee and Howdy Doody.
Love this. We could write a story.
Old 09-25-2010, 08:34 PM

I do not remember the Legend of Hilltop House nor Whispering Streets, but I do remember My True Story and those delicious Cherry cokes at the Drug Store and the Jewelry Store in my home town in WV. I'm not sure who Pinky Lee is. If it was on TV, then I didn't get to see much until 1964, we didn't have a TV nor access to one. That's why I played Roy Autridge hahahaha, I didn't even know the name of the TV or Movie cowboys. But I knew who Matt Dillion was. Sunday Evening before Church we could listen to Skid Row, Johnny Dollar and Gunsmoke and the Great Gildersleeve! brrrr it was scarey, screeching door and all. What about Barnabus Collins?? what was the name of that program, it was on for years and years, TV and Radio?

wow this is so much fun.
Old 09-25-2010, 09:57 PM

I grew up on a farm in Michigan, I remember as a 5 yr. old getting up at dawn to go down to the neighboring strawberry farm to pick the berries for market. I'd trade my mom's homemade bread sandwiches for Wonderbread ones -what an idiot I was! I remember the winter I was 7 and my brother was 11. We disobeyed my mom and double dog dared each other all the way down to the edge of the cold, fast running, only frozen over by the banks creek on the farm. I slipped on the ice and went in, cotton padded snow suit sucked up water and I was going under for the last time. It's weird to be 7 and know you're dying. My brother managed to snag me from under the water with a branch and drag me to shore. We were covered in ice by the time we got to the house. My mom [who was pregnant with my sister at the time] screamed, cried, hugged us, swatted us then hugged us again. My brother died too young-health problems from Agent Orange- but he'll always be an eleven year old hero to me.
Old 09-26-2010, 04:26 PM

hey does any one remember Helen Trent or our Gal Sunday or young Dr malone. on the radio the were fun to listen to, but i never watch them in any way on TTV. im just to busy just to sit and watch,besides them they were only 15 min shows What a waste of time, id rather be quilting and listen to ILDIVO.
or country.
Old 09-26-2010, 05:04 PM

I remember the Young Dr Malone, for sure. And yes these programs were 15 minutes each until late '60's on TV. Our first real interest was The Edge Of Night. It came on as we got home from school and mother was playing with an old TV that when it got warm the picture would roll then it would snow and all we got was dialog, but 'Mike Carr' said a bad word and they fired the actor. lol The actor was the late John Larkin. Then it was on, we wanted to find out who the new guy called Mike was. Mandel Cramer was the Chief of Police and he was Johnny Dollar on the Radio, too. Boy, the memories. Thanks y'all.

Blessings, Ruth
Old 09-26-2010, 05:15 PM

Location: Currently Mosquito (which is outside of Placerville) California

I grew up in a small town (population 250?) in the Pacific Northwest. Twice a week my mom and I walked to the Igloo (a real butcher shop) and Adams (the general store). Every month my dad cashed his paycheck and they paid the bills with money orders, including the mortgage. I was 8 before they got a checking account. At the butcher shop, owned by an old German man, they actually had penny candy. Once a week I could get a jawbreaker. Adams had square nails in the wood flooring. I think I was 10 before I first saw an ice cream truck. We only had one car and my dad used it to go to work so we walked everywhere we needed to go.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:42 AM

Those were all great times and how nice it was not to have or even know about credit cards or bills that cant be paid. I know my parents never had a credit card,and my grandparents always paid cash for all they had. Im back to all cash and no credit and now peace of mind. the ss doesnt go far but its still better than a credit card.
Old 09-28-2010, 02:49 PM

I know what you mean, doggies. You can't borrow from tomorrow. My daddy said, " A man is never free when he owes." I am a firm believer. It will give you ulcers and restless nights. Makes it twice the evil. Thanks for mentioning of this way of life. Blessings, Ruth

Originally Posted by doggies mom
Those were all great times and how nice it was not to have or even know about credit cards or bills that cant be paid. I know my parents never had a credit card,and my grandparents always paid cash for all they had. Im back to all cash and no credit and now peace of mind. the ss doesnt go far but its still better than a credit card.
Old 09-28-2010, 05:51 PM

this Sat. the aLZHEIMERS ASSOC.is doing a walk of 5k in Brakenridge park. we are hoping monies raised will help to find a treatment or cure . My husband had it for 10 yearsand for 9 yrs didnt know what was going on or who I was
Lets hope a treatment is found during our lifetime ,since everyone We know is getting older