I remember when....

Old 09-09-2010, 04:34 AM

U coud paddle your kid and not be afraid of going to jail.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:34 AM
Power Poster

I always say that memories are the best thing you can have b/c you get to relive something whenever you want!
Friday nights my Mom made popcorn and gave us ginger ale. We watched The Life of Riley.
Staying overnight with my Gram was such a treat. She was really laid back and let me do "anything I wanted" just the opposite of Mom lol
Going to Old Forge on Sundays with the family on hot days. I grew up in Utica NY
Sitting on my Dad's lap.
My Mom's uncles had a grocery store and she shopped there every Friday. They always gave her a bag of penny candy for us. YUM
Every Sunday we went to Mass and then to get bread. It was the best Italian bread on earth, still warm and we kids would sit in the back seat, pulling pieces off. I can still taste it.
I'm sure we could all write a book!! Thanks, Rhonda!!!!!!!
Old 09-09-2010, 04:49 AM

Oh this is fun!

I was a child of the mid-60s to the early 70s. I lived in a very small town. I remember spending whole days outide entertaining ourselves. we played in thew woods and the cornfields. I always watched Gilligan's Island and the Brady Bunch when I came in early enough to see it.

I remember riding my boke with friends everywhere, all day long. the only rule was to be home before dark. No one was trying to accost kids back then.In fact, if it rained or got too windy, and adult would always pick up you and your friends, throw your bikes in the trunk, and drive you home!

We would ride our bikes out around Bass Lake, which was at least an hour away, and we would get an ice cream cone near the beach. I liked the Blue Moon flavor.

The back door was always oen, and we never locked the car. Everyone knew everyone else, and it took forever to get through the grocery store because my mom had to talk to everyone she saw.

Our kitchen was decorated in Harvest Gold and Avacado Grteen. My mon decorated the kitchen in Mushroom decor form Sears, and we also had flocked wall paper.

I had to wear either a dress or polyester dress pants to school, and the Gideons stood by the exit to the school every year, and handed out Bibles as we headed for the bus. (gasp!) We also prayed in school (gasp!)

I rode a bike with a banana seat and plastic flowers on the basket. Do they even make bikes with baskets now?

And yes, we got spanked when we did something really bad, and no one called child protective services on my parents because they spanked their kids too! :0)
Old 09-09-2010, 04:53 AM

I rememberd a story last night that I shared with my husband. When we were kids and all 11 cousins were at Grandma's house in the summer, there was no air conditioning. Grandma would get out a carton of ice cream and we would each get an ice cream cone. We were sent outside to eat it. Buster, the dog, would stand by the screen door wagging his tail and waiting patiently. After 11 ice cream cones, the ice cream box was empty and Grandma gave Buster the box. We all enjoyed the ice cream together, especially Buster!
Old 09-09-2010, 04:58 AM
Power Poster

Mary you just sparked another memory!! When the carton was empty my Mom would open it flat for our dog Pete!!! :D:D:D
Old 09-09-2010, 05:25 AM

Home made Ice Cream MMMMMMMMMM Remember how much fun it was to set on the Ice bucket while someone cranked? We go to our cabin we let all the kids do that. It’s a family tradition
Old 09-09-2010, 05:26 AM

my cat did a good job of cleaning the ice cream carton!!

I remember getting penny candy, does anyone remember Michigan Mints? THey were a hard candy, blue in color, a cube about 1", wrapped in cellophane.
Old 09-09-2010, 05:30 AM

I grew up on a farm and we grew most of our own vegetables, beef, pork, & chicken. My mama canned all kinds of stuff and even made lye soap. She went 15 miles to town once a week for the few groceries that we didn't raise.

I played outside all day, roaming the pastures and corn and cotton fields. I have a brother and a sister who are a number of years older than me, so I basically was by myself most of the time. But I had three dogs and a bunch of cats that followed me everywhere. Mama said it looked like a funeral procession to see me walking across an open field with single-file dogs and cats following behind! (lol!)

Dirt was my favorite toy. My kids laugh when I tell them that. But I could spend all day playing in the dirt. I had some tin cans and Mama gave me some cups, spoons, and and old flour sifter. I can't imagine how many tons of dirt I sifted with that thing!

A couple of miles away from us was a dying little town that still had a gas station, post office, and country store. At the store you could buy anything from canned goods to meat grinders to cattle feed. I remember playing on the big scale they used in the back room for weighing the feed. For a nickle I could get a small Coke or several pieces of candy. Occasionally, Mama would give me a quarter to buy a loaf of "light bread". She usually made all our bread, so bought bread was a treat. Now I'd practically kill for a loaf of her homemade bread or a pan of her dinner rolls!

I miss those simple times so much!
Old 09-09-2010, 05:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Caroltee
U coud paddle your kid and not be afraid of going to jail.
And that is why so many kids today are big mouth brats.
Old 09-09-2010, 05:43 AM

We lived in the city of Detroit until I was about ten.

Remember dimestores? There was a huge one near us that sold pretty much everything. Not like the dollar stores today, where things are all in bins and crammed together. The dimestore had grandeur: high ceilings, large glass windows in front, long glass counters with a salesperson behind each one, attractive displays of the merchandise. They sold jewelry, makeup, household items, toys, books, sewing supplies and patterns, school and office supplies, you name it. I loved looking at the long, colorful strips of suckers (lollipops) hanging from a hook, but as my mother would remind me, I didn't actually like eating them. But the colors were jewel tones and looked beautiful with the light streaming through them.

We moved a lot in those days. My parents had separated, and my mother had moved back to Detroit to be near her family. At first we lived with an aunt and uncle, then rented a room in a house, then moved from apartment to apartment, either because the next one was better or because a landlord had raised rent or refused to make repairs.

When we moved to the neighborhood with the dimestore, there was a beautiful old Gothic-looking red brick house next door to us. It was a huge place, the kind of place that could have been turned into apartments. Three days after we moved in, the wrecking crews came and tore it down to make way for a boxy late-'60s style apartment building with no character whatsoever. It about killed me to see this cool, fabulous house smashed apart. I was seven. I could do nothing to save it. We didn't have a camera, so I couldn't even get a photo of it.

It had once been a grand old neighborhood. Some of the old houses were still there, and a few old buildings with wonderful architecture. By the time we lived there, however, most of the old properties had been divided up into tiny lots with little auto-factory-worker houses. We moved away when I was about ten, and ten years after that, it had become slum. Horrific, what happened to Detroit.