I said "no"

Old 09-17-2011, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by charity-crafter
Yeah! Without hesitation. A person I work with came up to me at lunch and said, "I have a favor to ask, I bought some ....from ..... and they are too long..."

And before she said anything more I said right up front, "I don't do tailoring or mending. That requires special skills that I don't have."

"Well, you have a sewing machine, it's just cut it off and hem it."

"I don't do that. I'm sure you can find someone at the dry cleaner who can fix things like that."

The end.

Yeah it feels so relieving to not make excuses or actually trying to do it when I know I don't want to and really don't know how to do it so it looks good.
WTG
Old 09-17-2011, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Jammin' Jane
I hear ya! It seems I get suckered in every time!
Will you make curtains, will you hem my pants, will you mend this hole, will you alter my bridemaid's dress, my prom dress....
I just had a guy ask me if I could alter his suit jackets because he had lost a lot of weight! Yikes! That one had to go to the tailors!! People think we can do it all!! :)
Early on in our relationship my hubby told me I could replace zippers in his jeans --------BECAUSE HIS AUNT CAN!

Alterations and repairs were her income. She enjoyed doing it. I'd rather be shot that replace a zipper in jeans.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by joyce888
I would rather make a whole garment or decor item instead of alterations. Good for you!
I agree with that!
Old 09-17-2011, 09:12 PM

Fantastic- let her go sulk as she pays the cleaners to do it
Old 09-17-2011, 09:21 PM

Unless it's my own familly, I usually say "Sorry, I gave up mending and altering when my kids grew up, I only quilt now"
Old 09-17-2011, 09:35 PM

I would rather be set on fire than hem anything. I won't even do it for family, not good at it and don't intend to practice at it either.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:39 PM

I always say "I would love to...however I'm not a seamstress and I would probably ruin your article of clothing so you'd better take it to someone who knows what they are doing" However there are a few people that I would gladly do work for. Like sew a button or fix a seam.
Old 09-17-2011, 11:58 PM

I am not really into doing alterations, but after my Daughter was quoted $85 to hem a chiffon dress (The lining did not need heming)
I am glad I was able to hem it for her.
It took me less than 1/2 hour. So I am not sure why she was quoted so high.
Told her I will fix her clothes but not her friends.
Old 09-18-2011, 12:24 AM

Great! I think people ask us to reconstruct, hem, or make something for them because they are to cheap to pay a cleaners prices. In your case why would she buy something that needed altered? Sizes now days come sized for short medium and tall people.
My mom spent her life altering the hem on one of her sister's dresses and skirts because my aunt had physical problems. After a week of my mom hinting that I should take over the job I told her outright I don't like the woman enough to be in the same room with her. That was the end of that and my aunt now wear her clothes off the rack without complaint.
I know I lack tact and deeper feelings, but you don't have to give further advice or carry on a conversation with people who think you are cheaper than a cleaners. I say no! and this conversation is finished. Like I said I have no tact.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:08 AM

I have always been one to not want to say NO. But lately I have been "trying it out." It really is a freeing experience. Way to go! And yes, so many think that because we have a sewing machine and 'we sew" that we will do anything. They don't consider the time and the effort involved. Please don't think I'm a sewing Scrooge because I don't mind doing favors, but it can get out of hand.