I said "no"

Old 09-17-2011, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by sandwich child
Last summer when I was barely learning how to sew a straight line my aunt (she's 85) asked me to make a quilt for her granddaughter's high school graduation. I said, "No, it's way beyond my level of expertise." She pleaded, cajoled, coerced, whined, begged and said she would pay me for it. Finally I got tired of hearing the old refrain and told her I would try. I cannot tell you the pain of cutting, sewing, ripping, kicking the walls and cursing before 160 hours had passed and I got the bloody thing finished. Guess who paid for it? Me, me, me. Then on graduation day my aunt told her granddaughter the quilt was from her!!!

Some people can't hear the word "NO!"
:wink:
Old 09-17-2011, 01:37 PM

I love your answer! I will definitely have to remember it!
Old 09-17-2011, 03:12 PM
Power Poster

You go girl. It's not just cut it off and sew it up again. I would rather sew an entire garment than mend one and since my DH, DS and DD all had short legs, it was always "Could you hem these?" I tried teaching them, but no go. Oh well, they both moved out of the house, so not my problem any more.
Old 09-17-2011, 04:21 PM

I just remembered something that happened to me years ago...I had to teach a friend of mine how to hem every pair of pants she bought...her legs were so short she didn't have room for a cramp!....then about 10 years ago she called me and said she bought a pair in 6 different colors cause she didn't have to hem them. They were just perfect. She brought them over and I tried so hard not to laugh. Her pants that were the perfect length were capri or what we used to call pedal pushers. I'm so happy they've come back in fashion in so many styles and she's a happy camper too.
Old 09-17-2011, 04:33 PM

I'm still doing an occasional alteration...but the last time someone appeared on the horizon, I told him that, for me to do that armload of pants he was holding would cost me $600 (3 quilts at $200 each...)....he changed his tactics and we ended up bartering some things I needed done for his needed alterations. And I, like most of you, have tried to train my family in the use of needles and threads for many years....but..."they just don't get it"....one of these days... :x
Old 09-17-2011, 04:42 PM
Power Poster

Just tell them they wouldn't ask michalangello to paint a house would they? LOL!

All that being said, I do have one picky brother I do some alterations and repairs for, but, he also volunteer's to help my hubby with big jobs and fixes my broken things that are metal or plexiglass.

That is called the barter system... LOL!
Old 09-17-2011, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Why do people think that you can do alterations just because you have a sewing machine?????
Why do people think they have the right to impose on you like that. I'm glad you just said No.
Old 09-17-2011, 06:26 PM

[Why do people think that you can do alterations just because you have a sewing machine?????[/quote]

Magical thinking? :lol:
Old 09-17-2011, 06:57 PM

i only do it for my family!!!
Originally Posted by charity-crafter
Yeah! Without hesitation. A person I work with came up to me at lunch and said, "I have a favor to ask, I bought some ....from ..... and they are too long..."

And before she said anything more I said right up front, "I don't do tailoring or mending. That requires special skills that I don't have."

"Well, you have a sewing machine, it's just cut it off and hem it."

"I don't do that. I'm sure you can find someone at the dry cleaner who can fix things like that."

The end.

Yeah it feels so relieving to not make excuses or actually trying to do it when I know I don't want to and really don't know how to do it so it looks good.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:19 PM

Earlier this week by son brought over a sun-dress that belongs to his girlfriend. Girlfriend thought I was too busy to be bothered. What a cutie! The strap had broken in back, and she had taken it to a "Professional Alterations" lady, and it cost $10 for her to FIX it. I was so embarrassed to see what she had done, I gladly fixed it the correct way. It cost me $2 for the correct pieces on the straps. Shame on the professional for taking the lazy way out and actually charging for it anyway. But if made me feel so good that I was able to do it better! We're hoping this is a future DIL, she is a sweetheart!