I want a Puppy!

Old 03-05-2012, 10:16 AM

You should get the dog that you and your husband want. Remember the dog will be with you for a long time, and you want to be happy with it. Believe me, my husband didn't like our first dog however he is in love with this new dog and things are much better around here, on ALL fronts!
Old 03-05-2012, 11:09 AM

there are several lab rescue groups in the northeast. Google them and you will be surprised at what you find! Puppies as well as older dogs. I am adopting next weekend from Pawsafe and donate to LABS4rescue in Killingsworth. Also L.A.B.rescurconnecticut. Petfinders is another source.
Please thing about it
Old 03-05-2012, 11:11 AM

Yes, there certainly rescue groups specific to a breed. My Annie is a rescued Australian Cattle Dog, a Red Heeler. She is my second ACD, the first one, Swirley was a lost soul from Oklahoma tornadoes years ago. Poor Annie was rescued from a Dallas/Ft. Worth puppy mill where she whelped at least 10 litters in her 6 years. She was found tied to a 55 gallon drum in a grassless field where the dogs were sent after they had their litters. She required 80 stitches because the other dogs would fight with her due to her being tied up. After the mange was treated and she survived a heat stroke the day they rescued her and the other 507 dogs, she was fostered until she came to my house. ACDs are called velcro dogs because they are so loyal, but Annie also has double-sided sticky tape! LOL She is now a princess at our house and hopefully will live many years with us. I know I'm pushing rescued dogs, but they are so grateful and wonderful. Good luck on your search for the perfect dog for your family.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:50 PM

we lost our lab about a yr ago. since we wanted a dog that was older and "housebroken', we got one from an individual. the little chiwa was 3, and and suppose to have been housebroke. HA, HA. SHE was as sweet as pie. just ate up the loving. i luved her to pieces, but after 3 months of hands on 24 hrs a day, i just gave up trying to housebreak her. took her to an adoption shelter for a younger, smarter moma. good luck. any other seniors had any luck with getting rescue dogs, and getting them into the house, and housebroken?
Old 03-05-2012, 05:21 PM
nms

I've had both purebreds and rescues. They all come with their own quirks! The rescue dogs are forever thankful that you took them in. Nothing like the smell of puppy breath though and popcorn puppy feet. I just love my furkids!!!!!
Old 03-05-2012, 07:42 PM

While there is something to be said for getting a rescue dog, you have to be very careful dealing with some rescue organizations. We were burned royally with one of our local rescues. It was very hurtful and painful. We ended up going to "the local pound" (it was called with disdain by that rescue) and found the perfect dog for our family. And we don't have to worry that the rescue will decide that we aren't good enough for their dog and come take her away for some perceived infraction of the rules. It did take some patience and lots of love to get her trained to potty outside, and she does have separation anxiety, but we love her to pieces. And now after a year and a half she knows that she will stay with us forever.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by raptureready View Post
If you can get him to go look at the dogs in area shelters there'll be one that both of you will fall in love with. When you think about it, the only real reason to go to the expense of a purebred is if you plan to breed or show, anything other than that is just an "I want" which is ok too, but all that money you save could be spent on fabric.
That's exactly what I was going to suggest. Stockier labs, if that's what you want, ARE available
Old 03-18-2012, 06:49 AM

We adopted our golden retriever from Homeward Bound. He was three years old and is the love of our life. With the downturn of the economy, some families have lost their homes and have had to give up their dogs. My sister volunteers at Homeward Bound on the weekends. She has adopted two. We also adopted a 2 year old kitty from Fieldhaven Feline Rescue. A possibility might be to foster a dog. They often have that option at the shelters. This way you can try out a breed and see how it works for you. With so many dogs and cats in shelters, I hope you will consider this option. We love our Murphy and he came potty trained and is an indoor dog that has never chewed our furniture or other objects. I will say he does love his own stuffed animals, but he knows what is his. Love him and will always adopt.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
There are lots of shelter dogs that need homes. Just a suggestion
Such a good suggestion!
Old 03-18-2012, 01:22 PM

We had our last litter about 8 years ago. Right now I have a black who will be 14 in June and a white who is 9 1/2. I will be looking for another light lab when Nali girl dies. Fortunately since I used to breed, I know where to look for a new pup when I am ready. Labs are the greatest dogs!!!!!

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!