Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Ideas for Grandma Camp needed >

Ideas for Grandma Camp needed

Ideas for Grandma Camp needed

Old 07-12-2010, 04:30 PM

I watch my grandaughters ages 10 & 13 during the summer. My 10 year old just made her 1st dress with my help. I gave them both a sewing machine for Christmas and they dearly love them. Each as made a quillow and a pillowcase dress or guess I should say top.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by pal
dmackey - tell the truth - you're a school teacher, right?

GREAT IDEAS - all of them!

The grands and I will be making wreath pillows very soon!

Thanks, cimarron, for posing this question. You received
a lot of wonderful suggestions. This thread's a keeper.
No, not a teacher, just an old gal who did daycare for her three nephews for 10 years, and had a great time doing it. In order to keep the little hellions busy, I had to find things to 'challenge' them, so they could feel smart or accomplished.

My favorite thing that I did with them was to get them drum lessons online. They were banging away aimlessly and driving me crazy...so I found an online site to teach them the drums and they each did a lesson a day. By the end of the week, we had bonafide musicians with a sense of rhythm!!

What I find they enjoyed the most was something that either gave them knowledge or allowed them to show their knowledge. It often started with a simple question or to look at something in nature and wonder how it got there. For every tree, bush or plant, they had to find out where the seed was, watch ice melt on the driveway, the water dissappear, and the clouds form.

One day the two youngest were touching something in the grass, and it turned out to be two baby bunnies. Must have been their first day out of the inground nest because they had no fear of the boys. So we had to find and discover other babies, like bird eggs, polywogs, etc, that could be nearby. We hit it lucky when mama turkey came by with 6 babies the same month.

Another great thing is to use Google Earth. They start with the earth, zone in on their country, then state, then town (taught them to follow the river), then neighborhood, then the house. When their parents were visiting someone in Florida, we looked up the address on Google Earth and saw the neighbor had a boat and a tall lattice fence, so the boys told their mom that and she was amazed they would know that, but didn't know about our Google Earth adventure. The kids had a great giggle over that "secret agent" episode.

I should have been a teacher. I love helping kids learn new things.

Diane
Old 07-12-2010, 09:11 PM

Technically you were a teacher. Those children were learning new things. You might not be a cerified teacher in the areas that the kids were learning, but you created lessons for them. I think many forget that teaching comes in many forms. Some of the best teachers are instinctive teachers and just seem to "know" how to do it. Just accepts the accolades and pass on your wisdom to others.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:20 PM

I AM SORRY to have disappeared on everyone. I've had SO much to do...the grandgirls coming this weekend..(boys later). You have all provided such interesting, meaningful suggestions for my family. I hope to be making many great memories - and -you- helped!
Old 07-16-2010, 10:07 PM

Granddaughters arrived tonight...and everyone has been fed, watered, and bedded down for the night. I tried to sleep but just so happy, too happy to sleep. Had to get up and tell you THANK YOU again for all the help! Boys will be second shift later on, after the girls head home. BUSY days ahead IF I do not get back to this site for a bit.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:04 PM

Well, so far, we've made old fashioned taffy, and watched Born Free. Watched some while Grandpa put up second batch Wild Plum Jelly. Next plan: first sewing project-pillowcase dress for lil' sis. They work on designing outfits on computers a LOT! Time to learn to sew. LOTS of things planned! Oh, did I mention one chose cookie cutters, to make treats for High Tea. Also, she chose a whoppie cushion. LOL!!! Barbarians, we're just happy barbarians :-D
PS: Have you ever had silver fingernails with different colors of polka-dots painted on each finger? Well, I do now...thanks to my dgd!
Old 07-19-2010, 12:33 AM

Sounds like you girls are having a blast and making wonderful memories.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:46 AM

Take pictures. Lots of pictures. Never know when you're going to need a little blackmail. :lol:
Old 10-22-2011, 09:59 PM

They're back! Going to the Cowboy Museum AND Zoo tomorrow... FUN!!!