Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Ideas for Grandma Camp needed >

Ideas for Grandma Camp needed

Ideas for Grandma Camp needed

Old 07-11-2010, 12:48 PM

It's been a number of years since I've been back, but yes it is greatly underrated! The Mansion in PC is definitely a site to see!! Do they still do Indian "Pow-Wows" open to the public? A definite cultural experience. I entered the Fiber Works Arts Exhibit in OKC in 1985 at the Omniplex, think I got an honorable mention. Still have the show poster framed and in my den! I work mostly with material these days quilting, sewing and whatever comes. Took my first quilt class in Enid OK, with Patti Russell at the Quilting Parlor and seem to have never looked back. A little history on the side!!
Old 07-11-2010, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by CarolinePaj
My DD is nine and she loves to do decopage. We have some items from a company called Decopatch, but really you just need some paper mache shapes from a craft store and some wrapping or tissue pacer with a big pot of PVA School Glue!

Hugs
I haven't done decopage, or even thought about, since grade school...and they would love that! There were some suggestions on pinatas...and It is paper mache...so I had already been thinking of letting them do the decorating themselves. Decopage on top of paper mache. I never even thought of doing that. WHY NOT? Great suggestion! Thanks!
Old 07-11-2010, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by anniec55
I believe that that sparks a memory, I remember seeing Brian Bowers, and some others, my (now-ex)in-laws always went with us and everyone had a great time. I spent most of my time in my booth at the time I was into weaving and spinning. It's been a long time and alot of miles beneath my feet since then.... Sometimes when it gets windy it makes me home sick for OK!!! Isn't that amazing... There's lots of great stuff to do.
My best bud, the one in Stillwater, has a son in KC, MO. That is a fun place! Brother in KS. Love to see all the green "up north" (ha, one state north!) because normally it's gone brown here. NOT this year, looks like spring-time! BEAUTIFUL today!
Old 07-11-2010, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by amazon
There were several post about stepping stones, If they make two each, you can have one and they can take one. They are so pretty in flower beds, we use things found on nature treasure hunts and marbles, stones, gems and such,plus their names. Last week I took mine to Sportsman Lake park, they have a new pier, and we had a picnic lunch( Kentucky Fried Chicken) and fed the fish bread from the Merita bread store, their old bread(feed quality) is free for the asking, all weekend they have talked about the park and when we will go again.Tea parties are a hoot, baking cakes and decorating rate high on my kids list. They love to paint the little plaster of paris figurines that Walmart has or the sun catchers, I think a box set is like $10. WM has a lot of cheap craft items. The best time mine have had at Nana's was a Beauty pageant, I had a suitcase full of old dresses some from the 30's& 40's and most 60's & 70's that I sent, they all dressed up, even the boys, and slathered on tons of makeup and red lipstick and old wigs and they held a talent/ beauty pageant and videoed it. We still laugh ourselves to tears watching that one. My kids love their Nana and 9 times out of 10 she doesn't spend a dime, its just that she does everything with them, the walk down to her creek is just the best according to them, you'd swear they were visiting the Grand Canyon. They even fall over each other to help her clean up. Go figure.I know you are excited, have a blast. Sorry I didn't realize I had prattled so long :oops:Almost forgot : Homemade popcorn balls w/ molasses and cornflake candy you can't forget those and my kids said to add a weiner/ marshmellow roast also.
Oh, these are ALL wonderful ideas! I forgot about the time my grandmother (one who had the old treddel Singer I wrote about elsewhere) came to visit, while my parents went to a trip in NYC. Something for Dad's work. It was the ONLY time we had her all to ourselves! SHE made the popcorn, and stirred in the rest of the goop to make popcorn balls. It was simply wonderful to do this with her. Fantastic memory! I think I'll write a note RIGHT NOW(!) to my brother in KS to see if he remembers her visit. Be back shortly...

I'm back....wrote him. He is 4 yrs younger. He sadly did not remember this event...he was just too little at the time. WISH he did remember this. I thank you SO MUCH for reminding me.
Old 07-11-2010, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by anniec55
It's been a number of years since I've been back, but yes it is greatly underrated! The Mansion in PC is definitely a site to see!! Do they still do Indian "Pow-Wows" open to the public? A definite cultural experience. I entered the Fiber Works Arts Exhibit in OKC in 1985 at the Omniplex, think I got an honorable mention. Still have the show poster framed and in my den! I work mostly with material these days quilting, sewing and whatever comes. Took my first quilt class in Enid OK, with Patti Russell at the Quilting Parlor and seem to have never looked back. A little history on the side!!
If you enjoy Pow-Wows I have to tell you about the Red Earth event every May. It's been going for a number years...unsure if started after you had left the State. It draws a LARGE number of Native American artists, etc. SO much beauty, wonderful dance. There are Native American families who take this as an opportunity to plan their family reunions around the event. The dance is outstanding. It draws people from Canada, etc.

Going back to fiber arts, did you ever take any weaving from CSU in Edmond (NOW it is UCO) from Norma Miller? I took two semesters from her. She is still around...I see her work in the State Fair. Wish I knew how to tell her how much I enjoyed those classes...but I don't think she teaches anymore, retired I think.
Old 07-11-2010, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by cimarron
Originally Posted by winipb2
annual Grandma Camp. Indoor, outdoor, you name it. I'd love some new suggestions! They range from six years to fifteen years. ALL help would be appreciated!
How bout an old fashion Taffy Pull?

Wini - House of BCC in Houston
taffy. Do you have a reliable recipe. .
Sharing Taffy receipe:
Vinegar Taffy

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup light corn syrup
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbs Vinegar
1 tsp Flavoring ie: vanilla, orange, lemon or
1/2 tsp peppermit
Cook sugr, water, cor syrup, salt and vinegar until a few drops of th mixture will make a hard ball in cold water. 260 dg on a candy thermometer. Pour onto a greased dish or platter, spinkle flavoring over top and turn the outer edges of the candy in toward the center until cool and firm enough to handle.

Use only the fingertips to handle at this staged and only after you have liberly greased fingertips with butter.
when mixture can be handled, take off the platter and pull the mixture out with both hands. Flod over and pull out again.

If you are having a Pulling Party you can devide the mixture as it comes off the platter. One person is assigned to each end og the candy mass. As it is pulled out each person brings their end toward the middle and after it is folded makes a new pull.

As the mixture becomes cooler and the longer it is pulled, it will become stiffer and can be pulled out into a longer strand. As you pull you will notice the candy begin to change color as air is worked into the mixture. Pull until it is difficult to pull out an dthe mixture becomes quite firm.

Pull into long thin strip and have someone cut the strips into 1/2 pieces with greased scissors and roll each piece in powdered sugar. Store cooled taff in an air tight container with waxed paper between layers and store in cool dry place.

Note*** If the taffy sugars, it can be recooded by puttin it in a pan with 2 tbs corn syrup and 1/4 cup water. Stir until dissolved and then recook according to the original directions.

This is an old and reliable recipe. I first started using it in the mid 50's from a reciped book (unknown at this time) that was my grand mothers and the recipe book was most likely dated back to the 30's possibly the 20's. As I said it is an old recipe.

Enjoy the laughter and memories that this activity can bring you and who ever you share it with. Good for kids and adults alike.

Old 07-11-2010, 01:17 PM

[quote=cimarron]
Originally Posted by janedennis
How about a treasure hunt. .
What memories this brought to my mind.
This is another one that is good for all ages.

Old 07-11-2010, 01:22 PM

annual Grandma Camp. Indoor, outdoor, you name it. I'd love some new suggestions! They range from six years to fifteen years. ALL help would be appreciated!
How bout an old fashion Taffy Pull?

taffy. Do you have a reliable recipe. .
Sharing Taffy receipe:
Vinegar Taffy

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup light corn syrup
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbs Vinegar
1 tsp Flavoring ie: vanilla, orange, lemon or
1/2 tsp peppermit
Cook sugr, water, cor syrup, salt and vinegar until a few drops of th mixture will make a hard ball in cold water. 260 dg on a candy thermometer. Pour onto a greased dish or platter, spinkle flavoring over top and turn the outer edges of the candy in toward the center until cool and firm enough to handle.

Use only the fingertips to handle at this staged and only after you have liberly greased fingertips with butter.
when mixture can be handled, take off the platter and pull the mixture out with both hands. Flod over and pull out again.

If you are having a Pulling Party you can devide the mixture as it comes off the platter. One person is assigned to each end og the candy mass. As it is pulled out each person brings their end toward the middle and after it is folded makes a new pull.

As the mixture becomes cooler and the longer it is pulled, it will become stiffer and can be pulled out into a longer strand. As you pull you will notice the candy begin to change color as air is worked into the mixture. Pull until it is difficult to pull out an dthe mixture becomes quite firm.

Pull into long thin strip and have someone cut the strips into 1/2 pieces with greased scissors and roll each piece in powdered sugar. Store cooled taff in an air tight container with waxed paper between layers and store in cool dry place.

Note*** If the taffy sugars, it can be recooded by puttin it in a pan with 2 tbs corn syrup and 1/4 cup water. Stir until dissolved and then recook according to the original directions.

This is an old and reliable recipe. I first started using it in the mid 50's from a reciped book (unknown at this time) that was my grand mothers and the recipe book was most likely dated back to the 30's possibly the 20's. As I said it is an old recipe.

Enjoy the laughter and memories that this activity can bring you and who ever you share it with. Good for kids and adults alike.

WHOOOO! HOOOO! Oh, thank you! I've got to get everyone in on this occasion!!! My mother's aunt who I mentioned made this for mom as a youngster was keeping alive memories SHE and my grandfather had of some relative (long before me!) doing this for them, and their cousins! Oh BOY! I will get to keep this going for the NEXT generation, or two! THANK YOU!

Back again, I just wrote my brother in Kansas about THIS idea too! I've got a feeling he will want to come to visit to participate in this event also! Can you double this recipe, he is a grandfather too...with four children, and five grandchildren of his own.... Lives in a big old victorian there in KS, once he sees this bet my sis-n-law will be doing this for their bunch when they all come to visit.
Old 07-11-2010, 01:34 PM
pal

My grands LOVE sorting my buttons. I give them a pipe cleaner and they string like ones together.

How about letting them sort your scraps into ziplock bags by color. Then they can take any that they like and make a pillow.

They can draw a picture or trace it out of a coloring book and trace it onto 1/2" pine. Then have someone cut it out for them. They can sand it, paint it, and bring it home to put in their room or the garden.
Old 07-11-2010, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by pal
My grands LOVE sorting my buttons. I give them a pipe cleaner and they string like ones together.

How about letting them sort your scraps into ziplock bags by color. Then they can take any that they like and make a pillow.

They can draw a picture or trace it out of a coloring book and trace it onto 1/2" pine. Then have someone cut it out for them. They can sand it, paint it, and bring it home to put in their room or the garden.
My older ggd did take home a bag of scraps last visit. She likes to cover picture frames...pictures of her friends in her bedroom, and they really do turn out cute. She has little doo-dads glued onto them, etc.

I have lots of strong thread/yarn...bet they could use that (so I don't have to go buy pipe cleaners). But, what do you think? I doooo have buttons!

I don't have a saw for cutting up the wood. Have to get with someone to do that one...but it sounds wonderful to me! THANKS VERY MUCH!