Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Ideas for Grandma Camp needed >

Ideas for Grandma Camp needed

Ideas for Grandma Camp needed

Old 07-09-2010, 02:59 AM

If you have a garden have them help out. If not have them start one. Even if it is in a milk carton. Have them wash and have the older ones help the younger ons cut the tops off , and have each one pick out their own veg.or flower seeds to plant. When I also have my DGS I try to have a day at the zoo, museum, park, lake or pound or even the beach. Pack up a lunch and make a day out of it. have them plan a meal to gather and have them make it. if rains I take out the popicle sticks, crayons, glue, any thing that will work and let their imaginations go wild.
Old 07-09-2010, 03:20 AM

If you have a paved driveway, don't forget the sidewalk chalk...even better if Grandma is able to get down there and make art too!
Old 07-09-2010, 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by jljack
Sounds like too much fun!! 4 of my grandkids live in the same town as me, and since all the adults are full time employed, I only get them for overnights on weekends. The other grandson lives in NC, and only 2, so no visits from him by himself yet. The local kids and DH and I have a great time together. Usually popcorn, movies, hot dogs, chips, etc. Sometimes we make dessert...cookies, cupcakes.
This will be the first year the youngest dgd will attend "Camp" with us. -Previously- her Mom had said she was just too little, and would not want to stay away for full week. So, this is the first time we'll have a full wk with her, while all the others get stay on for an additional week. I am so happy to receive all these ideas!

:D
Old 07-09-2010, 03:40 AM

Every year at our family reunion, they get several pinatas and let the kids do them. We hang them over a tree branch and blindfold the kids. Someone pulls the rope connected to the pinata to raise and lower it. Youngest goes first. I've seen pinatas at Wal Mart before but don't know the cost. My SIL makes them some years. The kids love it.
Old 07-09-2010, 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by sharon b
What about letting the decorate their own t- shirts ? Either with crayons or fabric paint . Even the older ones should like that :thumbup:

VERY good idea! I've never done that before. Did use fabric, and let them color with crayons, and ironed the fabric (between layers of brown paper sacks - to absorb crayon 'run-off'). The color becomes permanent. The T-shirts idea is great, they can do the same thing...and I already have some of the fabric paint tubes too if they want to outline, or whatever. THANKS for this idea!
Old 07-09-2010, 03:46 AM

If you are going to cook be sure and make them aprons and chef hats. My son always liked to dress up. They could do thier own cooking show and take turns being the "host" chef. Doing some kind of skits might be fun too since you have a large age range. Most important have fun and enjoy them.
Old 07-09-2010, 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by C.Cal Quilt Girl
How exciting .... when we were little had the most fun at Grans that had the most junk they were raised in depression era, but popcorn and uno are fun too.
We were turned out to play back east, ponds, barns, cows, corn fields, ticks & chiggers & snakes, oh what fun....
Have recently done sm wood boxes to decorate, or canvas bags to paint.
Best part was time spent no mater what the activity was.
Have Fun !!! :)
Oh, we will get our fill of ticks, chiggers, "and sech" as we say in Oklahoma! Grandpa always has to make a camp fire too, whether we're baking from the hot night or not! They always insist every year on watching all three of those videos, "The Lord of the Rings," literally, videos... (Now we have a DVD player too, but we're kinda fond of the 'ol stuff too...30+ yr old turntable, 50's era appliances, and Lawrence Welk on TV!). They always have to watch Sister Act II and Laurel & Hardy films. They NEVER heard of Lassie before seeing at grandma's.
We try to give them a little time-warp!
:thumbup:
Old 07-09-2010, 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by mom-6
Run through the lawn sprinkler, play hide and seek, catch lightning bugs, play dominoes (or build with them, or set them up to fall down in a line).

If you go anywhere in the car, play the ABC game (find words on signs that start with each letter in the alphabet or as another variation the letter can be anywhre in the word).

Scavanger hunt, treasure hunt with crazy clues, collect nature items for a collage, have the older ones help the younger ones look up interesting places to visit (state parks, historical sites, etc.) in your area & make all the plans for a trip to see some of the places they found (map, travel time, where to stop for potty breaks, estimated cost of gas for the trip, what to take along - camera, picnic lunch, water bottles - what order to visit the different sites, etc)
GREAT help...I've always planned it all out in advance, calendar prepared with phone calls for info previously made. But, they are old enough to dig and figure out just what they want to do! I am going to write and tell them to get online and start looking TODAY...and let them do some planning! In fact, I'm doing it right now! THANK YOU!
Old 07-09-2010, 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by sewmuchmore
Make a list of things to do and ask them if they want to do them. Place them into the hat and each day draw one out. That will be what you do that day. If it is to hot out side take a tent in the house and have them to, play or sleep in it. :wink:

The boys DO sleep in a tent outside...in the backyard, per their request.
Old 07-09-2010, 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by momymom
tye dye t-shirts, paint birdhouses, bon fires in the back yard, don't forget the s'mores, berry picking & a sweet cobbler from what they picked, the possibilities are only limited by your energy level.
MORE wild plums for jam...and they get to help...and take some home. Wonderful suggestion!!!