Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
If I knew then what I know - re quilting >

If I knew then what I know - re quilting

If I knew then what I know - re quilting

Old 05-10-2018, 02:57 PM

Pretty much what’s already been said. Also, I don’t have to be producing something every minute of every day.
It’s perfectly ok to put a project into the UFO pile if I’ve lost interest or am stuck without knowing where to go next on it. It's ok to pull something out of the UFO pile and do whatever it takes to finish it, even if that means turning a bed quilt into a table runner and placemats, or a funky art quilt. Finished is waaaay better than perfect and I’m good with just enjoying the process without worrying about whether the finished project ends up looking like what I had in mind when I started. Having a humorous outlook on things is a big help when a project goes sideways

Rob
Old 05-10-2018, 03:37 PM
Power Poster

If I had known then what I know now...
- my stash would be about 1% of its current size
- I would buy a pattern only when I am actually ready to use it
- I wouldn't own most of my rulers and other tools

The problem is, I know these things now, but I still am very tempted to buy more fabric/patterns/tools. It's an addiction, but I am trying to kick it.
Old 05-10-2018, 05:11 PM

I had to learn to admit I’m no longer interested in quilting.My other sewing/craft interests have gone by the wayside,so not surprised quilting has joined them.

Can still admire the 3 or 4 quilts I kept,look at pictures of ones given away..admire them all.
Doesn’t mean I will make more quilts.
Old 05-10-2018, 08:34 PM

I learned what I deep down always knew - that I love looking at and buying fabric and just having it. Quilting is my excuse to buy fabric.

Also learned that 'done is better than perfect because perfect never gets done'.
Old 05-11-2018, 12:03 AM

I have learned that although I love to see quilts made from pieced blocks I had to admit recently that I don’t enjoy making them.

So now I’m sticking to using squares and jelly rolls - they are challenging enough for me!
Old 05-11-2018, 02:52 AM

- To buy more fabric right away if I really like it.
- My process takes longer, but that's okay. I don't need to rush my quilt making. I currently am in week 3 of the "this takes 4 hrs. to make". ha. ha. True story.!
Old 05-11-2018, 02:55 AM

I have learned:

....not to sew when I am tired or in a hurry...I end up making too many mistakes.

....a project is more enjoyable to work on when I take my time to choose the right fabrics for the pattern.

....when sewing with a large group in a class or workshop, label your sewing notions with your name.

....joining a quilt guild has been a fun experience where I have gained both friends and knowledge.

....no one wants a quilt in colors they dislike...ask them first what colors make them happy and go with it.
Old 05-11-2018, 03:38 AM

I have learned that not everyone wants a quilt.....even the most loved family members! (They admire your quilts, but don't want them)
Old 05-11-2018, 04:30 AM

I have learned I will buy fabric if I enter a fabric store.

I have learned I absolutely loved love my "textile collection". It is way to nice to be labeled "stash".
Old 05-11-2018, 05:12 AM
Power Poster

Some of these comments are hilarious!!!!! I especially like Marion's about collecting rocks hahahaha
I also agree that having a stash too large is not a good idea, at least not for me. I get too overwhelmed. I've given away tons of fabric over time and am much happier with a smaller array. It also made me feel good to help someone else out.
I wish I didn't invest so much into books. I got rid of about 75-85% of mine last year. I just don't read them anymore, same with magazines. I don't buy mags anymore and don't miss them.
I kept my very special books and that's it. I don't miss one that I let go of.