Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
If I knew then what I know - re quilting >

If I knew then what I know - re quilting

If I knew then what I know - re quilting

Old 05-10-2018, 08:10 AM
Power Poster

Default If I knew then what I know - re quilting

I have learned that I am a slow creator -

I have learned to not promise anyone anything -

I have learned that fabric is still being sold - although a favorite print that I am short of will probably not be available -

I have learned that I actively dislike doing "rescue projects" -

Have you learned "anything" since you started?
Old 05-10-2018, 08:40 AM

I have learned that when I'm in a hurry to finish something, every thing that can go wrong, will.
Old 05-10-2018, 09:41 AM

all of the above........and also when i retired 10 yrs ago before i discovered quilting i bought a brother combo sewing/embroidery machine up untill then i was sewing and still sew on my almost 50 yr old kenmore ,then a year later i discovered quilting became addicted if i had known about quilting then i would have bought a sit down quilting machine instead of the sewing/embroidery brother, but i'm blessed and lucky to have what i have and enjoy both hobbies quilting and embroidering............maybe someday i'll have the sit down.
Old 05-10-2018, 09:50 AM

If I new then: I would cut binding before filing away my UFO. I would also cut scraps and make scrap quilts before they get so out of hand and overwhelming
Old 05-10-2018, 09:56 AM

I have learned that if my idea isn't working out after I've given it a good try, it's OK to abandon it, move on and not beat myself up.
I have learned that I'm a "pusher" not a "puller"...I like to push the fabric through the machine like a regular sewing machine, not pull the machine around like a longarm.
I have learned that being cheap at the beginning of a project often costs me money towards the end when I run out of fabric/materials and have to make extra trips.
I have learned that if I stare at a project on my design wall long enough, (Could be a very long time!), the answer to a design problem will usually come to me.
That taking pictures of my blocks on the design wall and changing the pics to black and white makes a huge difference in how I see things and what I pick up on.
I have learned not to buy a pattern for a quilt that only has a graphic of the quilt and not a picture of an actual quilt done.

Watson
Old 05-10-2018, 10:10 AM
Power Poster

I have learned that I like the creative process as much as the finished product. I'm not usually in a hurry to finish things because I am enjoying working on them.

I don't like to have a lot of UFOs so I usually finish one thing before starting another. New projects live in my head, however.

Starting to acquire a stash made me anxious, so I gave up on that and have very little fabric. I like it that way better.

I like to quilt my own quilts rather than hiring it out. I'm happy with my quilting, although it will never win any prizes.
Old 05-10-2018, 10:30 AM

I have learned that building a stash just became overwhelming to me. I all but paralyzed by having too much fabric. I am very glad that I bought my fabric before the crazy price hikes, but I still need to purge a lot of it. I also learned that I enjoy smaller projects more than hugeones, and I hate to redo aquilt that is just not working the way I imagined it. I truly am my own worst critic.
Old 05-10-2018, 11:21 AM

I have learned that having a big stash is not always a good thing. Before I retired I tried to sort of build a stash & suggested (to those who would listen to me) that they do the same thing....build stash while you can. Now I'm re-thinking myself & have to reverse my opinion on that. I think having a small stash is better.
I've also learned that when I start making several mistakes in a short period of time it's time to stop quilting & pick it up on another day. It tells me that I'm tired & not paying attention & I make more mistakes when I'm tired.
Old 05-10-2018, 02:24 PM

I have learned to read the 'distructions' as my DGD calls them. Sometimes a picture is not worth a thousand words and the pattern designer might actually know a better way.
I have learned to put the pattern, extra fabric and any pertinent notes about a top or UFO away together!!
I have learned that I have a Pavlovian response to challenges. This is not always a good thing--altho it has stretched my abilities and taken me in many foreign directions. And won a few fair ribbons
I have learned that I like the feelings that come with selling a quilt (or top) especially if I sell it to a fellow quilter that I admire. Wow! What a rush!!
I have learned that sometimes being my own worst critic is a good thing, because it forces me to put out the best effort I can, and is a bad thing because it costs me time. And could someday lead to recognition...or an ulcer.
And finally...there are times to sew and times to rip. All part of the process.
Old 05-10-2018, 02:37 PM

Great thread!

I have learned that no matter how easy it looks in a picture, the look can be very deceiving! It has however, expanded my horizons (and sometimes my vocabulary!)

I have learned that I should have picked a cheaper hobby like collecting rocks off the side of the road LO

I have learned that I have the perfect amount of fabric on hand 99% of the time. I don't have a huge stash, but I have a variety of fabrics and only ever need to go shopping for solids to match my prints.

I have learned how to FMQ (after 10+ years of quilting), but have also learned that I can't wing it ... still need to follow an outline!

I have learned to never leave an embroidered block on my table and leave the parrot out at the same time (it's amazing how fast she can pick out those threads!)

I have learned so much from my fellow quilters on this board, and for that I am grateful ... and I am very grateful that I can receive constructive criticism and learn even more!