Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
If only they would have stood... >

If only they would have stood...

If only they would have stood...

Old 06-30-2011, 07:02 PM

Shame on them. You and your husband must be very hurt, I am sorry for that.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by emerald46
Thank you for your daughter's service to our country. I am a weeper when it comes to the flag and those patriotic songs. Hugs!
Ditto!
Old 06-30-2011, 07:11 PM

Thank you for the sacrifice you and your daughter have made for our freedom...
God bless you!!
Old 06-30-2011, 07:30 PM
Banned

what is really sad is that this is a KIDS movie..how many of those people had their children/grands with them and failed to take that moment to TEACH them respect???
Old 06-30-2011, 07:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by tomilu
We went to the movies today to see Cars 2. Before it started, they played Johnnie Cash giving his "Tattered Old Flag" poem. Then they played the Mormon Tabernacle Choir singing the Pledge of Allegience while a flag waved. No one stood but my DH and I. I wanted to say to them: My daughter served in the US Navy under that flag and she was buried under that flag. We should all stand for that flag and the Pledge. But I didn't. I should have.
Tommie
I would have been standing with you! My daughter also served in the US Navy - but I am very lucky that I still have her. Bless you and your DH for your sacrifice.

Hugs,
Sherryl
Candlequilter
Old 06-30-2011, 07:36 PM

It's so sad how people are these days and it makes me very angry. I wish there was a way to make people like this realize that the things they take for granted do not come free. I would have been standing right with you and so would my children and grandchildren . My husband was also in the Navy, and after 20 years in the service he also gave his life for this country. I am so proud of his service but miss him greatly.
Old 06-30-2011, 10:09 PM

Yes you should have invited everyone to stand!
Old 06-30-2011, 11:28 PM

First,condolences for the loss of your daughter. i thank you for her service. while i can certainly understand your feelings, the theater may not have been following proper etiquette in regards to the pledge. it is to be recited only in the presence of a flag.

I probably wouldn't have known this except my DB is a vetern and is very active as a member of an honor guard. He is a stickler for proper procedure when it comes to our flag, etc.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:26 AM

so sad.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:55 AM

When my husband and I go on the military base sometimes we are there when they do "Colors". Those of you who have been military or are military know what I'm talking about. And it always empresses me to NO END how when the music starts. Everyone and I do mean EVERYONE stands still,stops what they are doing and salutes! One time this happened to us and it was snowing so hard outside. But still EVERYONE stopped what they were doing and saluted. Some people even got out of their cars and saluted. It's like time just stops for a little bit.
This is a very powerful thing to experience.And most of the time it leaves me and my husband emotional. I wish everyone could experience that.