If some gave you

Old 12-06-2010, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Olivia's Grammy
5 bags of sewing/craft related items, would you not take a minute to say thank you.
I answered an request on Freecycle for fabric scraps for a lady that had no money and wanted to make Christmas gifts. I did not do this expecting her to gush, but a simple email saying I got the "stuff" and appreciate it would have been enough. I spent a couple of hours going through my velvet/velveteen fabrics, Christmas fabrics, there were some large pieces there too. Now I'm not talking about crumbs or string pieces. Plus a large bag of lace, patterns, trims, Christmas panels. Am I wrong to want to be acknowledged? Would I do it again? In a heartbeat.
i am with you on that just let the doner know you got it
Old 12-06-2010, 11:46 AM
Power Poster

You did a wonderful thing, and she should have given a thank you!
Old 12-06-2010, 11:56 AM

...I feel sure she did pick them up.
You could just send an e-mail hoping she was the one that picked up the items. It is possible she was awestruck with your generosity. B less you for enriching her holidays.

piney
Old 12-06-2010, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
My children receive used clothing all the time...
Mine have flown the nest but when I got outgrown children's clothes from others I told the kids they were "grow into" clothes. They loved them as much as I did.

piney
Old 12-06-2010, 12:05 PM
Power Poster

My first thought was - she didn't know how to contact you - but obviously she did - if she was able to get directions to your gate -

I know how you feel - I definitely don't want any one's first born - I still have mine, thank you - but some acknowledgment would definitely been appropriate.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by leaha
some time ago I sent some of my handed fabrics to a gal (on another chat room) and she thanked me, but later she sent me a lovely wall quilt she made using my hand dyed fabrics, she even hand quilted it, I was so overwhemed, I just could not belive she went to all that to make me a lovely quilt. She used the rest of my hand dyed fabrics to make a Baltimore applique quilt, It got rave reviews and is on display in her state capital building for a year! She even gave me credit for the dyeing, now how huge a thankyou is that?!!! really made me feel so good.

I hope she felt my thank you as no words are enough some times to convay your feelings, but we must try!
Now this is what giving is all about! That warm feeling in your heart, whatever brings that feeling about. It can be as simple as a smile and thankyou or as magnificent as a hand made quilt and another hanging in the state capital building. How grand is this. So wonderful.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:31 AM

our family was poor and we didn't get much for Christmas, but my mother always made us write a thank you. I think that is where families have failed, today, in raising their children.
I have given to many in the past 40 years and I'm happy to receive a thank you. Eiltcoq.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:51 AM

You would do it again "in a heartbeat" because you are the kindest person I have ever met! MERRY CHRISTMAS!

5 bags of sewing/craft related items, would you not take a minute to say thank you.
I answered an request on Freecycle for fabric scraps for a lady that had no money and wanted to make Christmas gifts. I did not do this expecting her to gush, but a simple email saying I got the "stuff" and appreciate it would have been enough. I spent a couple of hours going through my velvet/velveteen fabrics, Christmas fabrics, there were some large pieces there too. Now I'm not talking about crumbs or string pieces. Plus a large bag of lace, patterns, trims, Christmas panels. Am I wrong to want to be acknowledged? Would I do it again? In a heartbeat.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
IM not expecting anyone to jump on a soapbox and shout it out from the roof tops but c'mon a little 'thank you' goes a long way..and poor or not, a TY doesn't cost you a thing...

You did a great deed! good for you..
I agree with you. I have someone very close in the family that is like that & in fact doesn't appreciate when you do help. We feel fortunate to be able to help others & a simple thank you, we appreciate what you are doing or have done is all we expect. But it's in reverse here. Not a word, not ONE. After helping 3 times now, I'm done. It always seems to backfire on me, especially with relatives.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:01 AM

A few years ago I gave away a pretty good car to someone in need on Recycle. The unwed mother needed it to get to work. I thought it might be a scam (you never know) but to my surprise, when she came to pick it up she she was truly genuine in her appreciation. She said I was like a Mrs. Santa Clause. I got a Christmas card from her with a picture of her newborn with an update on her progress.

Sorry to say, that has not been the case in most of my give-a-ways. Just gave away a rooster and some good laying hens - she just loaded them in her car and drove away. Not so much as a thank you. Same with loads of house-plants. Not even an email later.

But I continue to give away because I get a real high when I see the smiles on their faces and know that my "gifts" were appreciated.