If some gave you

Old 12-06-2010, 07:13 AM

5 bags of sewing/craft related items, would you not take a minute to say thank you.
I answered an request on Freecycle for fabric scraps for a lady that had no money and wanted to make Christmas gifts. I did not do this expecting her to gush, but a simple email saying I got the "stuff" and appreciate it would have been enough. I spent a couple of hours going through my velvet/velveteen fabrics, Christmas fabrics, there were some large pieces there too. Now I'm not talking about crumbs or string pieces. Plus a large bag of lace, patterns, trims, Christmas panels. Am I wrong to want to be acknowledged? Would I do it again? In a heartbeat.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:15 AM

Give her the benefit of the doubt and assume she would be too embarrassed to see you face to face. Perhaps whe will say thank you in a different way at a later date. We should not be embarrassed about being poor, but it's hard to admit sometimes.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:16 AM

No, your not wrong to want to be acknowledged. Our parents begin teaching us manners when we are learning to talk. Please. Thank you. Yes, please. No thank you. Acknowledgement is just good manners.
Let me being by thanking you for doing this good deed for another. Thank you.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:18 AM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Ofcourse I would! But some people just don't know how too. It was awefully nice of you to help her out and if you never hear from her again just know that you did the right thing. Bless you!!
Old 12-06-2010, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by isnthatodd
Give her the benefit of the doubt and assume she would be too embarrassed to see you face to face. Perhaps whe will say thank you in a different way at a later date. We should not be embarrassed about being poor, but it's hard to admit sometimes.
There is not face to face. I do not know this person.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:20 AM
Cyn

This issue comes up around here all the time. Not sure why but Of Course She Should Have said THANK YOU! I am disappointed that more people don't use manners anymore. I sound like my mom and grandmothers but I understand now why they made us write thank you's. I have heard of people that will not give gifts again if they don't receive thanks. I understand completely but I can't do that. Sorry for the soap box but this gets to me. Having been in the military for so long I guess it hits close to home. We had parties for 70-75 people every other month in our house for 2 years while my husband had a command and it always amazed me who sent them and who didn't. And no it didn't hurt anyone's career but it made an impression on the CO's wife- me! Thanks for letting me vent.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:24 AM

I know from experience what it is like to be poor. I don't have a stash. When someone helps me, I love to say thank you. It has nothing with being poor. There are times when you don't want anyone to know that there is no money to do things you want to do or that everyone one else is doing. There are times when we want to start a craft and there is no money to start and you can just look at what every one else is doing and wish that you could. This is not an excuse for bad manners though. I would definely find a way to say thanks. You are the best.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:24 AM

You did a wonderful thing!

Sorry she didn't tell you thank you, but think about it, how happy it will make the people who receive, what she makes out of it.

Off course you would do it again, because you care. Because of you, there will be presents under someones christmas tree.

So let me tell you,

Thank you, that was very loving!

If more people would be just as kind and generous as you, there would'nt be anyone this christmas, without at least a small gift.

Thank you for what you did, and thank you for sharing.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:27 AM

Awwww, you guys make up for her not saying thank you as I knew you would. I love this board.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:31 AM
Power Poster

How did the things get from you to her?