Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
If You Could Chose One from >

If You Could Chose One from

If You Could Chose One from

Old 10-19-2011, 07:26 PM

You can keep the ringer washer- I remember my mother having to wack our repeatedly to get the ringers to let loose of what ever they were trying to consume.
Some queit- no distractions of high tech technologies. Being able to let our kids play outside without worrying about the possibility of all that is going on.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Diannia
Gas stations that had people to fill your tank, wash your windows, check your oil and tires and smile and say thank you for YOUR service when they were done.

Diannia
Yes!!! and they gave us stamps or dishes too! I still have one
dish with wheat on it....ah...those were the days!
My mom had a wringer washer, and I still hang my sheets out
on the line! My dad used the tubs for ice and sodas when we
had our family reunions...
Old 10-19-2011, 08:27 PM

WOW have you been reading my mind?! I have long thought that technology is not making our lives "better". It is making our lives more frenetic, possibly more stressful. Even before the advent of home computers, cell phones, ipads and blackberries there were research reports about Americans not getting enough down time. I think the breakdown in civility that our culture has seen is due to the increased speed of our lives.

Don't get me wrong, I am a bookkeeper and I would much rather keep accounts on computer than on ledgers. I just think we need to remember that these things are tools and not bosses and masters
Old 10-19-2011, 09:22 PM

God,
Old 10-20-2011, 02:38 AM

Manners, courtesy, and respect for others, personal responsibility, and people being held accountable for their actions and showing genuine remorse if they make a mistake.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:23 AM

jobs
Old 10-20-2011, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by running1
I've often wished for a much slower pace...
I was thinking about this....and I wonder...is it possible to find a way to slow down your own life? You know, just say no to so many activities, turn off the tv and leave it off, force yourself to plan and execute family meals at the dinner table every night, even if there are only two of you at home, buy a couple of comfy outdoor chairs (or better yet, a porch swing) and sit outside in the evenings, even if just for 15 minutes, let the answering machine get the phone during certain times of the day, commit yourself and do it...make your own bread once or twice a week, hang the clothes outside...even if you have to string the clothes lines between trees, and etc.....I mean I was just wondering....could we all slow down our lives by making different choices everyday? Maybe we are so busy and overwhelmed with activities because we say yes to everything afraid we will miss out on something, and in truth, we miss more because we are too busy. Something to think about......and believe me when I say, I am asking myself these questions as well as presenting them to all of you!!
Old 10-20-2011, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by Farm Quilter
Originally Posted by Momma_K
I really would love to have and actually use a nice old wringer washer!:-D
I have 2 in my basement!!! Maybe I should get hubby to set one up for me to use :lol:

I love clotheslines for everything except towels.
I get dibs on the other one!!! Ha!
Old 10-20-2011, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by kaykwilts
Originally Posted by running1
I've often wished for a much slower pace...
I was thinking about this....and I wonder...is it possible to find a way to slow down your own life? You know, just say no to so many activities, turn off the tv and leave it off, force yourself to plan and execute family meals at the dinner table every night, even if there are only two of you at home, buy a couple of comfy outdoor chairs (or better yet, a porch swing) and sit outside in the evenings, even if just for 15 minutes, let the answering machine get the phone during certain times of the day, commit yourself and do it...make your own bread once or twice a week, hang the clothes outside...even if you have to string the clothes lines between trees, and etc.....I mean I was just wondering....could we all slow down our lives by making different choices everyday? Maybe we are so busy and overwhelmed with activities because we say yes to everything afraid we will miss out on something, and in truth, we miss more because we are too busy. Something to think about......and believe me when I say, I am asking myself these questions as well as presenting them to all of you!!
I love the way you think! It truely is something to think about and I think you can do it! We all can if you set to think about your life and your days...make a plan and stick to it! Thanks for the idea, you just gave me something to think about and do. Gosh, you should write a book on this. Something enough for the American housewife and others that feel over whelmed by time consuming tasks we put on ourselves everyday!!
Old 10-20-2011, 07:11 AM

I love all the responses. I'm old-fashioned, too. I try to recreate a little of the simpler times by doing a lot of hand quilting, sewing a bit on a treadle machine, and I've always read to my kids - even when they are 16 years old! Reading together - something a little above their reading level - broadens our vocabularies, gets the kids away from phones and computers, and exposes us to some wonderful classic stories. I cook from scratch, keep a small farm, and hope very much to pass on some old-fashioned values to kids and grandkids.