Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
If You Could Chose One from >

If You Could Chose One from

If You Could Chose One from

Old 10-19-2011, 04:00 PM

Well, I had a wringer washer, and I don't miss it at all. Love my modern one and the drier too, although I did take pride in hanging lines of snowy diapers out in the sun when I had babies. Cloth diapers were healthier in my opinion. The one thing I would like to see again is the honest morality of the general public, where you could trust people, and not be fearful, kids could play outside, etc. I can live without some of the modern conveniences, (like TV) but I would give up my dishwasher before my garbage disposal. I love the sanitary convenience of running water and flushing toilets. We didn't always have them when I was young. Carrying water for everything, heating water in tubs, buckets, etc for laundry, bathing, dish washing and cooking, was not a lot of fun, and hard on the body. You asked for just one thing, but the convenience of modern equipment is nice. The honesty and morals, education and less use of profanity , teaching children basic education, and getting public off unnecessary welfare would be top of my desire list.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Conartist1945
A real person on the other line rather than a recording
Yes Indeed! By the time you finish listening to the number options to push, you forget who you even called and why! LOL!
Old 10-19-2011, 04:14 PM

kids who had respect for parents, elders, teachers, etc. Used their manners and you didn't have to worry about all the peer pressure, drugs,gangs--would love to go back to those times.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by seahorsesanna
everything made in america!
Exactly! We wouldn't be in the mess this country's in right now if we still adhered to our "old" ways. My Mom and Dad would not buy anything made out of the country...and I think we need to go back to that!
Old 10-19-2011, 04:53 PM

Everything made in America and wringer washers are high on my list. I used to love doing the laundry with our wringer washer at home. Then hang the clothes on the clothes lines all organized with the matching socks next to each other, all the white T-shirts together etc. Then I would fold them as i took them off the line. I've been asking for a clothes line for 9 years now. I've had one in every house up to this one. Somehow DH always has other projects he wants to do.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:57 PM

I miss the sheets and yes diapers on the line thenn smelling the freshness while folding them.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:19 PM

I have quite a list of get rid of. I have done the wringer washing machine though and I have the scar to prove it, the wringer popped up and cut my arm. In the mid 70's my husband was stationed in the Philippines. Uncle Sam gave us a brand new wringer washer to use while we were there. Any way, liked life when it was much simpler.
Robin in TX
Old 10-19-2011, 05:20 PM

I miss the relaxed old neighborhoods where you could let your kids out to play and not have to worry about it. We used to have a wringer washer when I was a kid. I remember my sister getting her arm stuck in it. When I got married there was one left in the basement of the house we bought and I used it for a long time. Loved it! Got the clothes cleaner than the new fangled ones we have now.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:54 PM

I've often wished for a much slower pace...
Old 10-19-2011, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Momma_K
I really would love to have and actually use a nice old wringer washer!:-D
I have 2 in my basement!!! Maybe I should get hubby to set one up for me to use :lol:

I love clotheslines for everything except towels.