if you won the lottery?

Old 08-14-2011, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by madamekelly
Originally Posted by madamekelly
First, I would pay off the truck and van, pay several years full coverage insurance for them, upgrade my homeowners insurance, Hire a gardening service to plant and maintain my new rose garden, force DH to retire so he can preserve the use of his leg, buy my brother a boat big enough to really live on, pay his insurance on it, buy one sister a house to retire in, buy another sister a small home of her own, buy my other two brothers an education in an arts college, donate a big chunk to my favorite charities, ...........My list would be endless.
LOL, you don't have to sweat that one. Uncle Sam is at the lottery office waiting for you!
I forgot the most important thing of all, pay all the taxes on it, up front!
Old 08-14-2011, 08:37 PM

After I got myself up off the floor...

1-Not tell anyone (other than hubby)
2-Hire a tax atty.
3-Claim the ticket and pay Uncle Sam.
4-Decide how much I was going to give away and to whom (including my favorite charities)
5-Set up a will.
6-Immediately take my family (including all 11 of my siblings and there spouse/kids) on a trip and give them a very fat check.
7-After the siblings go home, I would continue on for a short time to really think out where I wanted to live and then build a nice home with lots of space. Nothing crazy, just very very nice with all the fixens.
8-Hope and pray that my good fortune didn't change me or those I love.
9-Hope and pray that my life lasted long enough for me to enjoy the good fortune and share that fortune with others.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:11 PM

First and foremost I would pay my sons and daughters morgtage off. Let my eldest son manage my monies, and 3rd, as quick as I can, move to WA state
Old 08-15-2011, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by sarahrachel
three quarters of it would be put into investments that I couldn't touch for at least 5 to 10 years so I don't fall into the lottery trap and loose it all.
You could still lose it of course, even if you can't touch it for 5 to 10 years!
Old 08-15-2011, 03:40 AM

[quote=qbquilts]Give Uncle Sam his share, quote]

Are lottery winnings taxable there? Far out!
Old 08-15-2011, 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by teacherbailey
I would buy my favorite beach house, volunteer at the local turtle hospital and enjoy watching the sun set every night....and donate to charities that help homeless pets. Then I'd have a housekeeper and a pool cleaner, and maybe a healthy cook. I could then live quietly and never wear "professional clothes" again.....
I might change my log cabin in the middle of nowhere for that. Sounds great and to the point. All that you need!!! :thumbup: thumbs up to the professional clothes too!! Barefeet and sandals all the way!!! 8-)
Old 08-15-2011, 04:28 AM

My husband and I have talked about it. I know we would give a good portion of it to St Judes Childrens Hospital. They have always been our charity that we donate to ona regular basis. Then we would pay off all bills. After that I guess we would just have to think about it.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:30 AM

I don't play the lottery, but it's fun to dream about what I'd do:

Pay the taxes, give 10% to our church and another 10% to other charities.

Pay off our mortgage, have a heated pool installed (my husband and I both have arthritis and it would be SO nice!) and some landscaping done. We love our little house that's just right for us, so we're staying put. We would definitely hire someone to take care of our yard...my husband hates it and only does it for me because I love living out in the country.

Purchase a home and a small boat on the bay so we have a place to vacation with our kids....like a family camp. Host a family reunion there every year.

Finish paying for college for our three college-student kids, offer to pay for our oldest son's grad school, and put away enough to pay for our two youngest boys' college.

Set aside house down payment funds for all six kids so we can help them get into their first home...I think it's important not to hand everything to them entirely.

Increase our Christmas budget. =)

Do ministry. We like to be generous and often we wish we had money to help people out. For example, the teenager across the street has a truck that doesn't run and he doesn't know how to fix it. His dad has never been in his life, and my husband would love to take this kid out to buy what he needs for the truck, and then help him to do the work. What a great opportunity to form a relationship and mentor a young person! These are the kinds of things we like to do whenever possible.

I would buy a new laptop computer and an iPad for my husband, so he can work on his book when he travels for work, and a large television for the man cave. And for me, a weekly massage for my aching muscles, a food processor, and some rugs for the house (we have wood floors and hardly any rugs). We're pretty simple people and don't need much, but it sure would be nice!
Old 08-18-2011, 02:54 PM

I started writing what I would pay off. Like my bills, investing for older years to come, helping my children, etc... And then came to the conclusion that I am just not sure what I would do!