if you won the lottery?

Old 08-12-2011, 10:58 PM

share it!
Old 08-12-2011, 11:28 PM

I would sell our home and buy a pc of land. Build us a home and our parents ea a modest home so we could look after them.

Send ea of our kids and their spouses to a financial school of some sort. 3 of 4 spend way too much on credit and need some lessons! They refuse to listen to DH & I. Shoot we are just silly parents! LOL

Help the grands with education funds yet I would not fund their entire education.

Send our kids and their families on nice vacations every year. Not outlandish trips but places where they would have family time and bonding time. Simple, laid back places.

Help with the cost of utilties and food for the needy. Mainly Seniors & single parents with children.

Help with orphanges and Shelters for battered women.
Other than these things, I would not really change my lifestyle. We live a modest, simple life and love it. I want for little and need even less. I am really learning this more and more. I am so happy to get up every day and do what I can do and appreciate what we do have. This is a neat topic. OHHHHHHHH first I would have to buy a lottery ticket. LOL I've never bought one! LOL
Old 08-13-2011, 09:34 AM

Change my fone # and move, leaving no address.
Old 08-13-2011, 11:46 AM
Power Poster

Taxes will be taken out before you ever get a penny. LOL. Setting up trusts is the best way to give large money gifts unless you call it a 'loan'. Both parties sign the loan papers and then file it paid in full. My DD graduated college with a perfect credit score and she never bought one thing on credit. PM me and I'll tell you how that's done. It's the best thing you can give your child, a head start with perfect credit.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:15 AM

I would pay tithes off the top to help the local church.
Pay off all my children's bills.
Pay off DH bills.
Build me and my children awesome houses all on land of thier choice.
Set up education funds for all 13 of my grands and build the best quilting studio with all the dream equipment anyone could think of and spend the rest of my life giving back by giving quilts.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:02 AM

In Canada we don't have to pay taxes on lottery winnings. I would first seek legal and financial advice even before claiming the prize ~ one of the conditions of claiming the prize is that you have to have publicity photos taken and those photos are published. Then everyone knows you have won the big money and your troubles begin.

I would pay off all the bills, mortgages, and credit cards for me, my sister, and DH's sibs. Then I would give them all a one-time cash gift to do with as they please. I would make donations to some charities and my church.

Then I would sell this house and move somewhere where there is no snow! :D
Old 08-14-2011, 06:13 AM

That would be so easy; pay off my bills and help my sister out. I have lots of kids as well but they are young and more than capable to work where as my sister is older and has health issues and I'd love to be able to help her out; then my kids. I'm recently divorced after millions of years to a man who would be wonderful if he'd quit drinking but after 25 yrs it's just not going to happen especially since he does see that he has a problem. I'm to the point that I'll sew until my small stash (I think size doesn't matter when calling it a stash; it's Smallllll) and then I'm done until I can figure out how to get more fabric and not have my bills suffer. I don't want to be like so many others and do the bankruptcy thing. I've tried hard to build up my credit even w/someone who was intent on bringing it down that I want to maintain it. I figure that I used it so I should pay it. That being said I'll do what is needed if comes down to it. I have 3 days off a week so I may need to get a 2nd job. I just didn't think at my age I'd have to worry about doing this all by self and it's very scary to me. Anyhow; the lottery would be great; no matter how large or how small it would be.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by madamekelly
First, I would pay off the truck and van, pay several years full coverage insurance for them, upgrade my homeowners insurance, Hire a gardening service to plant and maintain my new rose garden, force DH to retire so he can preserve the use of his leg, buy my brother a boat big enough to really live on, pay his insurance on it, buy one sister a house to retire in, buy another sister a small home of her own, buy my other two brothers an education in an arts college, donate a big chunk to my favorite charities, ...........My list would be endless.
I forgot the most important thing of all, pay all the taxes on it, up front!
Old 08-14-2011, 10:33 AM

I have always said that if I won, I would change my name to Scrooge. Just about everyone in DH family owes us money which of course we will never see any of it. They will neither. I would pay off the mortgage, set up funds for my children and grandchildren. I would also educate myself on how to be my own money manager. I would also like to set up a scholarship as an alumni of North Salinas High School.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:37 AM

I would pay off our debts, set up college funds for the grandchildren, build my mom a house, give money to my kids and siblings/siblings-in-law. I would donate money to charities that are near & dear to my heart. I would invest most of it and I would build a stand alone building on our property that could be divided into a music studio for DH and an awesome sewing studio for me : )