if you won the lottery?

Old 08-12-2011, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
I wonder about buying houses for your family, how that would work out. What if a year afterward, you hear, "oh I need some more money for taxes, or I will lose the house." Are you going to give them more, or let them lose it?
In other words are you creating a new set of dependents? How are you going to refuse when they know you have all that money? You will seem like a piker if you don't break them off another couple of thousand to pay the taxes.

I don't play the lottery, but if I got extra money I would donate to humanitarian organizations like Doctors Without Borders. Anything I or my family might want or need pales in comparison with children starving to death.
I'd not be afraid to tell the kiddo to deal with it. But in the case of my son who is NOT a money manager, I'd keep the house in MY name
Old 08-12-2011, 01:50 PM

You guys are big dreamers. Someone in MN won it. And it said in the paper that if they took the one time payout , after taxes; they would get $89 million.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:57 PM

Some to church, some to certain charities, something for each of my stepchildren. We sold our second home a few years ago and my DH thinks he'd like another one. And for ME.......I'd buy a studio apartment down the hall and convert it into my sewing room.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:28 PM

After legal advice, I would most likely stay where I am in my old house. Our farm was given to a soldier in 1847 a year before we became a state, we`ve been here 53 yrs, it`s home. I have my charities that I would give more too.
and because of my age, would like a house keeper to lighten the work load. Some of our childern are doing very well and some cannot.I realize you can`t fix every thing. I would want to learn every thing I could about all the new fangled things in this world. That includes learning more things about quilting, so when donating them, they would be beautiful.
Old 08-12-2011, 03:11 PM

We've dreamed about this. Set the kids for a comfortable, but not extravagant life, college for grandkids, money to siblings, a house in Hilton Head, and a large amount toward a new church building. Travel on a whim.
Old 08-12-2011, 03:16 PM

I would make a large donation to my church, pay off all of our bills, pay off my kids mortages, set up college funds for all of the grandkids, build a new home with a state-of-the-art quilting studio, and offer my LAer a large amount of $$ to quilt any and all of my quilts as soon as she receives them rather than being put on her "to-do" list! :lol:
Old 08-12-2011, 03:17 PM

Oh yeah, I'd hire a house keeper too!
Old 08-12-2011, 03:26 PM

I would have to give most of it away as it would be too much to keep track of.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Marilynsue
Oh yeah, I'd hire a house keeper too!
Forgot. That would be # 1 on the list. I hate to fold clothes & do dishes but love to cook.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:32 PM

first, i would call my lawyer! i'd get all the "ducks in a row" for the family, and then i'd call in rich to work. (it would be awesome, because i have one daughter who will always struggle because of illness when she was only 3, and three grandsons who have been diagnosed with autism, learning, and behavioral difficulties. i'm getting tired out.) but, i always forget that i have to actually buy a lottery ticket in order to win. oh, well. there's a part of me that doesn't want to tempt fate. gambling makes me nervous. i drive on the freeway every day. that's gamble enough.