Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I'm gonna be a Grandma!!!

I'm gonna be a Grandma!!!

Okay, so this is my first time, and since none of you actually know who I am and I don't know if I am actually supposed to tell anyone yet....I thought I could tell all of you. My question is I want to make EVERYTHING for my grand-Daughter(yes it's a girl), so share with me what you made and if you would do it again!

Congrats! Mt first grandson is 8 months old and so cute. I know you are very excited. So far all I have made is two quilts for him. But since you have a girl coming, check out all the cute diaper covers that you can make. Lots of free patterns on the web. If you are inclined to make them there are many great diaper bag patterns too and a manly one for the dad-to-be might be appreciated!

Oh how exciting. Burp cloths from diapers. Check the web and you will have so many thing to make you won't know where to start.

Power Poster
    Congratulations! I would start by going to the link someone posted on working with Minky. It had a cute taggie lovey to make to get used to working with Minky. Then I would do a quilt, burp clothes, bibs etc. I really like the quilt pattern that you put a twisted surface block in to attach toys to as well. Have fun!

My first grandbaby was born three weeks ago today!! So, I COMPLETELY understand wanting to make "everything" for yours.
    Oakley already has 2 baby quilts, and I'm embroidering another as I type!! I also just ordered a pattern for a "diaper cover". He's growing so fast (2 oz. per day!!), I don't want to make any clothes just yet. When he's a little bigger (toddler, maybe?) I'm going to have SO much fun whipping up shorts and tops for him!!

And yes, I'll do it again, whenever I get another grandbaby.
    I also whip up little dresses for my nieces, especially Lily - she's such a fashonista, she loves having something unique!! ESPECIALLY if it has a matching hat!!!
    Leta in Upstate SC

Oh congratulations! I have 2 precious granddaughters. Make bibs, diaper covers, burp cloths, receiving blankets, diaper bag, bows, day gowns, dresses, quilts, and more quilts, and doll quilts too. Have fun.

Just wanted to say congratulations! Grandchildren are our well deserved reward for not killing our own when we felt like it
    Lang may yer lum reek. (I'm a knitter - hence - 'Knit-ette'. Confuses a lot of people!)

Congrats, it's the BEST thing ever! I have 7 grandkids - 6 boys and 1 girl, who is all tomboy. You are going to love being a Grandma!

Lollie

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Knitette View Post
    Just wanted to say congratulations! Grandchildren are our well deserved reward for not killing our own when we felt like it
    Amen! Congratulations.
    Courtesy is not optional.

http://theeclecticabuela.blogspot.com/

Congratulations!!! Nothing like a grandchild to brighten your day! I have 14 and each one is special. You can make bibs, burp cloths, diaper bags, outfits, recieving blankets and of course...quilts. You can see by my avitar, I made this baby quilt for my youngest DGD. She is now 2 and it is her favorite.

Congratulations! Being a grandparent is the most wonderful thing in the world! Our only grandchild (at the moment) is a little girl who just turned 2. Of course, I made her a pink quilt! Also, flannel burp cloths, embroidered bibs, and cute little ruffled diaper covers. Now that she is older,I've made cute little dresses, a growth chart wall-hanging, and those hooded bath towels that she loves. Her baby sister will arrive in early Dec. I just today was talking with my DDIL about colors for the new nursery...it is going to be pink and yellow. You might want to talk about colors with the mommy and daddy to be before you start making all pink stuff. I've discovered some parents go with some interesting color combinations. Again, congratulations!

Super Member I go To The Sea To Breathe's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I don't think you can ever have enough bibs all sizes and the burp clothes. I raised our first two grandchildren ..and Iwould ggladly do it all again..I didn't quilt at that time and they were only 17 months apart so they didn't get many hand made items until college. Then I got to watch the greatbgrand daughter for a year and a half. It has been so much fun. So now I have the time to sew for the Greats! We have 3 little girls all under 3 and a half. Just enjoy that little one
    Learning to Love the Journey.

Congratulations on becoming a grandma.

I made everything from bibs, burbs cloths, receiving blankets, nappy bag, quilts, floor playmats, sleeping bags, wall hangings, changing mat, christening gown and bonnet, sun and winter hats as well as little cardigans and pants.

Enjoy your new granddaughter when she arrives.
    Last edited by busy fingers; 08-03-2014 at 09:45 PM.

Dix
    Blog Entries
    Congrats to you! So, this is not a quilt thing, but one of the most fun projects. When my first grand son was born (33 years ago) I started an album for him and each month, writing him a letter of things Grandma wanted to tell him. I asked my daughter for at least 4 or 5 pictures a month for this. I gave it to his mother on his first birthday. In 18 months, youngest daughter had a boy and I did the same for him. In another 18 months she had another boy, and 6 months later our oldest daughter had our only girl.....So I was doing 2 books for the last 6 months. Sometimes, it was a really chore, but I stuck to it! Now they are 33, 31 and 2 that are 30. Each have children of their own ! I personalized each book with a theme, one was cowboy, one was Disney, one was nature and the last was Holly Hobby for the baby girl. There are so many cute thing you could use now. They each have loved these books with a hand written letter from Grandma!!!

Power Poster
    Congrats...How exciting...Make quilts,bibs, receiving blanks, burp pads.and ect..

Blog Entries
    they can never have enough of the basics - receiving blankets, burp cloths, bibs, etc. I wait until the child shows their 'personality' to make them a quilt. Depending when the baby is due you could start planning for the future. If the little one is due soon, why not start making lots of sun dresses and short sets for next summer (when all the baby shower clothes will be outgrown!).

Blog Entries
    also, a messenger bag/diaper bag for dad is always a nice gift.

Congratulations! I don't know you and you don't know me but I am so happy for you. There is nothing better than a grandchild! I have 1 - a grandson, 2 years old. The very first quilt I ever made was for him and yes I would do it again.

How exciting! congratulations.
    I am too POSITIVE to be doubtful, too OPTIMISTIC to be fearful and way to DETERMINED to be defeated.

Congratulations on the granddaughter, I have one who is 14 now and many step grandchildren and many greatgrands and I love them all, along with nieces, nephews and greats. Babies are Gods gift to us.

I made my first a flannel quilt that I put fleece backing on instead of batting and backing. It's worn well and has been used by his brother too. You are lucky to be having a granddaughter; there is so much you can make!!!!
    Mistakes are just opportunities to invent a new quilting technique!

My latest grandson is 5 months today. He is such a joy. His room décor is monkeys so I make him a quilt, matching curtains, diaper stacker, a caddy to hang on the end of the changing table, a wall hanging (no more monkeys jumping on he bed) and a wall hanging made with his outfit he came home in, his foot prints, birth announcement, little mitts, booties, and first bib. I found the idea in a book I picked up at a garage sale. My DD loves it.

Congrats! Lots of fun things to make.
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Congratulations. I love being a grandmother. When my grand daughter was going up she spent a lot time with me and we did everything together. Now she is all grown up and has moved into the city. I really miss her.
    Fabric is like money, no matter how much you have it's never enough.

My beautiful GD is now 22! I still get all squishy inside when I think of her.
    After her head popped, I was able to assist with her tiny little body, then cut the cord.
    I also have two wonderful GS, but the thrill of your first never leaves. How great is that?
    Each project adds to my stash of knowledge. Love sharing the results with anyone who'll look.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast