Inexpensive Shopping

Old 05-14-2010, 08:50 AM

If you plan to sew you will need the iron. Are you near the school you will be attending or any other college for that matter? If graduations are this weekend, this is the weekend to hang around the campus near the dorms. People that live far away and are graduating will be selling very cheap a lot of the things you need and some maybe throwing away.

My daughter graduated last year and after the graduation the kids had 3 hours to empty their rooms. The amount of things I saw go straight to the dumpster was incredible. My daughter had collected a bunch of things and we took everything to the salvation army
Old 05-14-2010, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by hazeljane
Also, if you are in Chicagoland, IKEA. They have great prices on lots of stuff, and the design is fabulous. I know there is one outside of Chicago, but I don't remember exactly where. It's worth the trip just to see the designs, I think, and get ideas about living neatly in small spaces. i can't think of a better place to get organizational tools of all kinds.
The one outside of Chicago is in Schaumberg, IL right by the Woodfield Shopping Mall (My favorite mall).

And Target does sell XL Twin sheets, but not really till about July. But I'm starting to see college stuff starting to pop out in some places, I'm thinking this is due to the economy... last year our Wal Mart had School stuff on sale starting in mid June.

I'm going to make curtains for my room. But I'm going to clear that with my roomie first, and if we have no rod, I can get those 3m hook things and use those as a thing to hold the rod, this way no damage to the wall when they come down, and we get a little extra darkness. I just hope I don't get a hum bug of a roommate, I like to celebrate Christmas...

I have met a couple of my classmates via facebook due to the Elmhurst College Class of '14 page some one set up. So that is cool. I get to meet a couple in person on June 21st, so that shall be cool.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Maride
If you plan to sew you will need the iron. Are you near the school you will be attending or any other college for that matter? If graduations are this weekend, this is the weekend to hang around the campus near the dorms. People that live far away and are graduating will be selling very cheap a lot of the things you need and some maybe throwing away.

My daughter graduated last year and after the graduation the kids had 3 hours to empty their rooms. The amount of things I saw go straight to the dumpster was incredible. My daughter had collected a bunch of things and we took everything to the salvation army
I'm about 15-30 minutes away, my mom works about 5 minutes away from where I'm at too. I know a few of the graduating seniors since I went to school with them, and they are my age! (It kind of sucks knowing I'm older than the freshman starting, but I'm not the only one! lol) I'm going to ask one of my friends if he has anything that he will not need.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:41 AM

a set of silverware, a dishpan to wash said dishes, cups, a toaster, a hot pot to cook mac and cheese, ramen, ect in. a basket for taking shower items back and forth, a laundry basket of some kind. I used this to transport dirty laundry home to do! Don't forget the alarm clock! Also, what about a mini ironing board if you are planning to sew there, otherwise you will probably have to run down the hall to use the community board. If you can get a hold of a loft from someone, they are a lifesaver! So much more room!
Old 05-14-2010, 09:52 AM
Pam

I picked up a vintage dry iron from a yard sale this past weekend for $2. My son is home from college now, he was given the names and # of his room mates so that coordination could be done on things like fridge, microwave, ect. No sense have 3 microwaves!
Old 05-14-2010, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by MNQuilter
a set of silverware, a dishpan to wash said dishes, cups, a toaster, a hot pot to cook mac and cheese, ramen, ect in. a basket for taking shower items back and forth, a laundry basket of some kind. I used this to transport dirty laundry home to do! Don't forget the alarm clock! Also, what about a mini ironing board if you are planning to sew there, otherwise you will probably have to run down the hall to use the community board. If you can get a hold of a loft from someone, they are a lifesaver! So much more room!
We are not to bring Lofts... And I'm afraid of heights! I can actually get these bed risers that go higher than the traditional ones, and my fridge would fit just under it, which will be great! The fridge is 3.1 cubic feet, so it's not really going to be noticably taller than the 3.0 max.

I plan getting a hope chest to keep blankets and a quilt or two... and some other things too. and I might get an iron and an ironing bored, unless the one we have works... and I'm not sure it does... should find out... (puts that on list of the things to inspect). I'm also going to get one of those lap trays for my laptop, so that way I can have the sewing machine on the desk, at least till I can get a sewing machine carrying case...

I'm also going to get property insurance on my stuff!
Old 05-14-2010, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Pam
I picked up a vintage dry iron from a yard sale this past weekend for $2. My son is home from college now, he was given the names and # of his room mates so that coordination could be done on things like fridge, microwave, ect. No sense have 3 microwaves!
They are not allowed in the dorms, the microwaves. I need my own fridge for things that I generally need, and I would want to take up that persons space. We get our room assignment July 15th. I hope to find out my roommate then, so that we can get to know one another before we have to move in together. IF we move in with one another and can't stand it together, we can opt for new roommates after two weeks... after that we can't change till right before winter break unless it's unbearable. This is also an option for if you make a friend on campus, the two of you can room together if you choose, as long as you decide during that change room time.
Old 05-14-2010, 11:02 AM

Drive around campus right now and see what has been left by the students moving out. You may be a whole truckload of stuff that they didn't have room to move home. My daughter just moved home with LOTS more than we sent with her. She got a great purple pole lamp and her sister found a pile of clothes that were cute and fit her. SCORE!
Old 05-14-2010, 11:08 AM

I would if I drove, or had money to take a bus and train (the public transportation...) I might be able to this weekend... but I might be able to score my friends fridge, if he is not wanting it, and maybe some other things from people I knwo... I've got connections. haha, If they do not come through I will do as suggested! Thanks you guys!
Old 05-14-2010, 11:51 AM

If you're going to have a roommate, wait until you know some contact info so you can collaborate on who will bring what, regarding things like t.v., DVD player, fridge, etc. Those are all expensive, bulky things. In a small space, better only to have one.

I also got a small folding ironing board that I could put under my bed - cost about $7 at Dollar General, I think. Esp. if you're going to sew it would be useful. DO try to take along your sewing machine. I wish I'd had one when I was in college, but up to that point I'd always just borrowed my mom's.