Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas!

Blog Entries
    I think it might be because of the snow we have had so early in the year - someone in Minnesota here must remember the storm of 1992 - Hallowe'en - and the T-shirts "I survived the Winter of '92-'93. Never got a t-shirt, but I sure do remember it. Snow was as high as the clothespole. My husband couldn't even walk to work because the snow was so high and he was a laborer for the City of St. Paul. But we lived through it.

Yesterday it was 51 degrees, all the snow has melted and it was a wet, damp, cloudy warm day. Dog dragged in mud.
    So, I was going to decorate the front deck (newly built this year) and was looking forward to that, but decided to watch GREEN BAY ALMOST LOSE THE GAME!!!!!!!!!
    Even my cousin from Milwaukee said "It was a good game - Green Bay almost lost". There is hope in this world.
    So, the home is run in tradition - decorate by the first of December, put up the tree on my sister's birthday (Dec. 20)
    take it down between January 3 (husband's birthday) and January 6. In that time, I don't care if it snows, rains, if I have to mow the lawn, it is Christmas and it is going to come whether it snows or not. But deep down, I love a nice snowfall on Christmas Eve Day and Christmas Eve. Then I am totally done with snow

The only thing that pangs me the most is that I don't have my father anymore, my husband died in March, 2013, and my mother died in July of 2013. But I learned from them over the years and I will remember them forever and thanks to my family, my friends. my neighbors who are all so wonderful - I am so blessed - that I can laugh and sing and dance and joke and cry and miss them all at the same time and still be happy. I decorate the house because I always did and I am not going to stop......my dog loves the decorations - she eats them; I have two new parakeets, I am sure they will love the lights twinkling over their heads on the archway. It is going to be a great Christmas. BECAUSE I SAID SO!!!!!! Edie

No more!!!!! Happy Winter!!!!! Edie
    Home is where the rags of your life are turned into quilts, lemons become lemonade and a few extra pounds are simply welcomed as "more of you to love."
    I am so confused. I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse."

BELIEVE

As with many of you, preparation for Christmas begins only after Thanksgiving; however, with that said, being in a church choir and handbells, Advent and Christmas music preparations have all ready begun. A special way I begin my Advent preparation is attending the free 25th annual Messiah-Sing-A-Long (Christmas section and the famous Chorus), with a quartet of stringed instruments and organ, 4 soloists, and then for the chorus sections, people from the community are invited to come with their scores and sing, which my church hosts. For those of you who live in or around the Louisville, Ky area, the date is Dec. 2, 7:30 PM at Our Savior Lutheran Church, 8305 Nottingham Parkway, 40222. It is an amazing way to prepare your heart for the season. I pray that each person is able to find their own way to celebrate and remember the birth of our Christ child, the real reason for the season.

No decorating here......leaving this Saturday on the "Snow-Bird" special to Florida........but then upon arrival will have to start digging out some trimmings....made a 6'x20" wall hanging, better known as "the tall tree".

This will take care of the tree pickin'......I then add little quilted ornaments which are hung from Big-Bright-Buttons which adorn the branches.......now who said one can't decorate in ten minutes???

.......and yes, my music flows through my house sometimes as early as late September...
    it was always played to get me in the mood for that horrendous fall housecleaning, that is, when I was younger and did such chores !

Merry, merry everyone.......
    Last edited by mjsylvstr; 11-24-2014 at 05:54 AM.

Hi everyone, I hope you all enjoy thanksgiving! In UK we don't have thanksgiving, but for some weird reason we are having Black Friday sales this year! Yep you heard! The whole world is going mad..... We put our decs up about the 10th December and are just starting the present buying now - well that is to say we have a list ready! I'll be thinking of you all on Thanksgiving.
    maker of the 'Oh Dear Jane' Quilt, or should I say trying to the the maker of it?

Quote Originally Posted by sandy l View Post
    I realize that this probably sounds Scroogy, but it's getting harder and harder each year for me to get excited about Christmas, seeing that it seem's like the merchandise for it is showing up earlier and earlier each year.

I am with Sandy on this one. :-) When my kids were at home, we loved Christmas. They would help me decorate inside and outside. We would decorate tree together. They loved to see presents under the tree and try to guess what was in them. Now, the kids are grown, have kids of their own, and scattered about too much for us to be together. My son that lives closer to me, his wife wants Christmas day to just be them with their kids. So I have spent the last 7 or 8 Christmas' alone. At first, I still put up my tree, then one year I was sitting on the couch and I looked over at it and there was just one lonely little present under the tree for my little dog. It was actually the saddest thing ever. So I quit putting up a tree or doing any decorating. I spend the day alone with my little dog and we do NOTHING but watch movies and take naps until it is over. I used to go out shopping for the grandkids, (11 of them now) Toys are so expensive anymore and then I bought toys, wrapped them, kids ripped open and I usually got an "oh" and then they were tossed aside. Too much wastes. So now, I just give them each a little card with a little money in it and let them go shopping for what they want or think they want. LOL So, I am probably the Queen of Scrooge. And I don't think Christmas should start in stores or wherever until we have had Thanksgiving and given our Thanks for our Blessings. But that is just me. Happy Thanksgiving to ALL.

Blog Entries
    We are working on it. The granddaughters are decorating the tree, and hope my daughter will put up the garland,ect. I have done some cooking, and shopping has gotten very easy. We give the kids and grands money, so that is easy. We have a grab bag after opening our gifts, so we have to buy a $10.00 gift for that.
    It is easier than it was even 10 yrs. ago, as we have gotten so we don't expect as much of ourselves!
    Happy Thanksgiving! Mariah
    Have a wonderful Quilting Day, make it your way!
    Marta
    Martha Tompkins

Blog Entries
    I realize that this probably sounds Scroogy, but it's getting harder and harder each year for me to get excited about Christmas, seeing that it seem's like the merchandise for it is showing up earlier and earlier each year.
    It sure does.
    Never let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

I love Christmas until I got married. My husband and family have a way of sucking all the joy out of the season. Money seems to be the only thing that matters so I'm pretty much in the stay-in-bed-until-January camp.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

Waiting until Thanksgiving first.

DH & I are feeling the spirit a bit more this year than usual. My dear father died in a car accident in December 2002, just a few days after his 50th birthday and just a few days before Christmas, and it's taken me this long for the month of December to be anything other than utterly depressing. DH was very close to Dad too, so it has been hard on both of us.

BUT...this year feels a little different, to both of us. For the last several years we procrastinated on decorating and buying a tree until we're buying the saddest lopsided Charlie Brown tree on the lot the night before Christmas and just putting out a couple things. This year I want us to buy a tree much earlier, maybe even first week in December, and actually bother to decorate the house. It's been years since we put out our "village" of cast-plaster houses - we still have a few unpainted, maybe we'll get around to those this year too. Another thing we used to do and just sort of stopped. We don't have kids so it was easy to let all our traditions drop away, but now I'm starting to miss them.

I've started "decorating" the outside of my house a little bit already, but I come from a granola-crunching hippy family so my "traditional outdoor Christmas decorations" are really just bird food bells and the like, to help all my feathered neighbors get through the cold months. But I hang them with green and red ribbons and wrap green and red ribbons around the tall feeders, so I count it as "decorating", LOL. We don't usually do lights, maybe a string around the front door but that's about it.

As for gifts...my most favorite gift, that I look forward to the most every year, is the hand drawn Christmas cards my niece and nephew make. My niece makes one for me, my nephew makes one for DH, and I love them to pieces. I'm probably a little bit biased but I think those kids are the cleverest and sweetest kids on the planet, and their cards are always funny and cute and...I just love them! (The kids AND the cards!)

I agree,wholeheartedly. It seems like Thanksgiving is totally forgotten. Pretty
    soon, merchants will begin by Labor Day, putting up Christmas trees. It has
    taken all the joy out of the holidays. JMHO.
    so many quilts to make, so little time.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nannyrick.com View Post
    I agree,wholeheartedly. It seems like Thanksgiving is totally forgotten. Pretty
    soon, merchants will begin by Labor Day, putting up Christmas trees. It has
    taken all the joy out of the holidays. JMHO.
    They already do - there are also magazines and books by August. BHG does it every year.
    Never let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

Blog Entries
    Yes, this year I am really in the mood and it all started with a wreath i seen at the $ store. I am waiting until after Thanksgiving but i have things ready in my mind. Turned on Christmas music yesterday.
    Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind see.
    mark Twain

Yep. We too have never decorated so early. I have a mix of Thanksgiving and Christmas. Not all Christmas stuff yet but the tree is up and I love it. Now I truly love Thanksgiving but over the years with kids & GK living a distance we have started celebrating Thanksgiving in Oct because of distance traveling, in-laws kids need to see, and good ole bad weather. Kids get to play out side grandpa has a scavenger hunt we have a bonfire and we end up spending the entire day having a great time and sometimes they end up spending the entire weekend so we have a huge sleep over. The benefit is: when the 4th Thurs of Nov comes the kids can go to their other side of the family and everyone wins DH&I like to help at a shelter so it works for us.
    Now we'll enjoy our Christmas decorations thru the Feast of the Epiphany!
    Gotta go time to put the turkey in the brine! Happy Thanksgiving everyone

Power Poster
    Wish I could get in the mood...My neighbor has her tree up already....

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Only takes me a few minutes! I have a pre-lit tree. Just plug it in. Stick SAnta's crocheted head on the door. Pull the nativity set out of the curio cabinet and go from there. Won't do that til next week though.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Gift cards!! I have to send up north. If you just have to wrap something there are all kinds of boxes decorated for gift cards. I got some Christmas cards with music (you know they play music when you open them up. you can put the cards in there.
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerK View Post
    No tree for us this year. DD will be hosting. I haven't started shopping either. I have to send emails asking for suggestions this week end. I have been procrastinating because if I ask for suggestions, I have to supply some of my own and my mind is blank. Maybe I should try some Christmas music. Might get me in the mood.

Blog Entries
    I have a birthday in December so Christmas comes after then. This year I am feeling far more Christmassy than usual bug on your own it hardly seems worth the effort of putting up a tree or lights. Ido still get the food in and a drink. All different than the rest of the year.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Our Christmas decorating is a gradual process through the month. Usually put up the outside lights and wreath first, along with the Christmas quilts inside over TG weekend. Then the Christmas village and a few inside decorations. Tree doesn't go up till closer to Christmas, just because that's how it was in my childhood. Also, when the kids were home wanted the tree up early, they expected to see presents under it immediately! But I wasn't always ready for that!! Usually we leave things up till Jan. 6 to enjoy it for a while, since it takes a while to put it out. But this year, due to a sudden trip to a terminally ill relative and subsequent funeral and a 36-hour power outage Thanksgiving eve and day,due to a heavy, wet snow, my psyche is scrambled and have to push the "reset" button and figure out a revised plan! Maybe simpler will be better. And there is always next year!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2