"It's Good Enough to Use"

Old 09-11-2018, 06:27 PM

When my children were growing up, we used the china, silverware and crystal every Sunday we were home. I liked having one meal a week that was 'special' so they learned how to handle it. They were allowed to invite a guest as long as the total didn't go over 12 - the number the DR table seated.
For several years we gifted my grandmother with pretty nightgowns. Where were they? In a drawer in the dining room still folded. We then switched to specialty foods, teas and fabric.
Too good to use - I don't remember any in my birth family, but that's another subject.
Old 09-11-2018, 06:47 PM
Power Poster

When growing up everything was used, nothing too good to use.
We use to make our Mom crafty things at school. She always put them in one of two great big trunks she had full of pictures of ancestors and other things she wanted to keep. When my brother moved her to Cal. she had to sale everything, dirt cheap. She had two old treadle sewing machines. The other four of us didn't know so we could get some of the things. Still upsetting. Who would want pictures of relatives they didn't know? That was about 1980.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:21 PM

New hand towels were to be used only by guests. When we went to visit Mom we had to use the old towels because I guess we were not guests. lol
Old 09-12-2018, 03:01 AM
Power Poster

My sister and I have gorgeous diamond rings that belonged to our Gram that we wear daily. When my Mom and Aunt had them they only wore them for special occasions. We feel they should be enjoyed and we do.
I have some antique quilts I would love to use or display but I don't because of our kitties so I put them in a curio cabinet. I enjoy seeing them and every once in awhile take them out.
We only use the china on holidays. That's about it. Everything else gets used.
Old 09-12-2018, 03:15 AM

I don't have any "good" china or silverware to use, so no problem here
Old 09-12-2018, 03:46 AM

My grandmother never had a table in her kitchen! She said it wasn’t necessary. We ate every meal in the dining room and used China, silver and crystal. I miss that and think we are doing a disservice to our children and grandchildren by not using our dining rooms more. I love to see a pretty “set” table. I do use my China, silver and crystal often but mostly in my breakfast room. This is making me think I need to use the dining room more even though it is more work. Tartan is right, no one wants our good China anymo. Friends that go to auctions tell me they bought Haviland China for next to nothing! I expect my things will end up on eBay after I am gone because my family won’t want it.
Old 09-12-2018, 04:03 AM
Power Poster

We have always used everything. Even growing up. Not that we were rich. My mother had some China and silver that we used on holidays because it was a pain to polish the silver. I wasn’t enamoured with it which is good because the third wife gave it to her kids. I use everything I have. But I have pared down.
Old 09-12-2018, 04:14 AM

Good enough for who it is for!
Old 09-12-2018, 04:53 AM

That reminds me of the time when we hosted a guest minister for a few days. He used every towel & washccloth in the bathroom.We had to remove all of them but his designated ones.
Old 09-12-2018, 11:40 AM
mac

I was just reading that all lot of the antiques that everyone hoarded are now being sold for a lot less money, because millenials are not buying old things. Many of them are still living with their parents and those that don't, can't afford extra things. They were saying the people that liked buying these things are now passing on and many of these type things are finding their way into the thrift stores and garbage dumps. Fine china and expensive costume jewelry, according to what I read are a thing of the past.