Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: It's not what the weather is doing, it's how I perceive it!

Blog Entries

It's not what the weather is doing, it's how I perceive it!

Years ago I over heard many co-workers and visitors talking about how terrible the weather was outside. I thought I don't want to sound like that to a passerby. So I did the one thing that I could do. I changed my opinion about the weather. After all, the weather is going to do whatever it wants to do and there's nothing I can do to change it. However, I can change my view about the weather. I can make it positive, no matter what's coming down or not coming down.

When there's a snow storm outside, I think "Wow! It looks like someone's shaking a snow globe and we're all just watching the flakes fall. How pretty is that?" The weather is really a beautiful thing to be able to see. Enjoy it. Prepare for it in advance if you can. Get whatever you need to get from the store before it's needed. That way, when interesting weather comes along, all you need is your tea, fabric, a pattern and your sewing machine...and you'll be all set!
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-12-2016 at 12:24 PM. Reason: language
    Go forth and sew!

I have lived in this location (apt) for over two years. It was ALWAYS nice and warm even during the winter but with El Nino, this winter it is just so frosty cold!! I plan to go over to my garage (not attached) today and go rummaging to find my winter clothes that I never thought I would need again. Maybe then I will warm up and get over these winter blues!
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Blog Entries
    ha, ha. Yep, you just can't plan what the weather is going to do. Burrr. Below zero is cold!! I do not love the snow though. not when I"m house bound. Neither do my cats. but nothing we can do, so cuddle up!

No reason to complain about the weather nor anything else you can't change. I enjoy the seasons although I don't like the extremes. They usually don't last long anyway.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

It is 10 blustery degrees here but at least the SUN has been out all day! That helps...but I am not going outside today.
    sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

I have different activities for different types of weather. Usually it's turn the thermostat up or down. LOL Weather never bothers me unless it's raining on a planned outdoor activity.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

We don't have much cold, but we have tons of heat. I always hear people complaining about it when they are in stores. I think to myself "This is summer in Houston. It's always hot. Get over it and stay inside"

On another note, we used to have an employee from the midwest. He was always checking the weather in the summer. I finally said to him "You know, you don't have to check the summer weather in Houston. It's going to be hot. It's going to be humid and it might rain. That's the forecast from May until November every year. There's no need to keep looking at it"
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

Every morning I walk outside for 30 minutes before work. I love my exercise and never miss it.

This morning was no exception and the wind chill was -11.

I also get tired of hearing people complain about the weather. It is not that bad on any day.
    "Be brave enough to be who you really are.

I like the bright sunny days of summer. Love the fresh brisk air in winter. My favorites are spring and autumn when the windows are all open and fresh air fills the house. Unless we have a historic flood, the rain and snow means I can enjoy my sewing and nobody is going to ask me to run errands with them😊

Blog Entries
    -5 degrees F today. The cold isn't that bad, but I hate the ice. One slip and there goes your hip! lol. So, when it's only cold or snowing, it's still beautiful!

Blog Entries
    An old poem:

Whether the weather be fair
    Whether the weather be foul,
    Whether the weather, what ever the weather
    whether you like it or not.

peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

We are merely spectators on this amazing blue planet, enjoy the show!

Your attitude reminds me of the song in "In Search of the Castaways", sung my Maurice Chevalier and Haley Mills. "Enjoy It".
    I grew up in the Seattle area before they knew about Seasonal Depression. No one could understand that a normally happy person could be so unhappy for so long so was put on medication. When I moved to So. Cal. the doctor took me off the medication, said I would never need it, and I haven't. I do get tired of constant sunshine from time to time but having a change of weather is very nice now. In fact, I can say I do enjoy it.

Those are good comments orangeroom and cashs mom is so right. Here in NE Texas it is going to be hot. I love it here though and do not want to live in a cold area.
    Texas Sunshine, piney woods of NE Texas

Blog Entries
    �� I just look out of the door and adjust accordingly. If it is inches of snow or ice I would adjust my day. My friend who says we are having bad weather this week is staying in. I'll go out if I want to and it is safe.
    Finished is better than a UFO

I don't understand not going anywhere because of the weather. Bad roads means no driving but rain, hot or cold shouldn't make a difference. Certainly not stop me from going where I want to go. If it is a rainy day half the guild members won't come to a meeting. ? Makes no sense to me.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Quote Originally Posted by orangeroom View Post
    Years ago I over heard many co-workers and visitors talking about how terrible the weather was outside. I thought I don't want to sound like that to a passerby. So I did the one thing that I could do. I changed my opinion about the weather. After all, the weather is going to do whatever it wants to do and there's nothing I can do to change it. However, I can change my view about the weather. I can make it positive, no matter what's coming down or not coming down.

When there's a snow storm outside, I think "Wow! It looks like someone's shaking a snow globe and we're all just watching the flakes fall. How pretty is that?" The weather is really a beautiful thing to be able to see. Enjoy it. Prepare for it in advance if you can. Get whatever you need to get from the store before it's needed. That way, when interesting weather comes along, all you need is your tea, fabric, a pattern and your sewing machine...and you'll be all set!
    Awesome post. I too listen to folks complain about the weather no matter what it is doing outside. Personally, I have never understood complaining about something we have no control over.

I LOVE the rain and I always have. I don't quite understand seasonal depression (but I do believe it's real) - obviously it's not something that I suffer from because I actually feel cheered up and almost kind of excited when the weather is overcast and rainy. I especially love thunder and lightning. I also love walking in the rain, it's hard for me to resist. I've even gone out in the rain while at work, and come back in looking like a drowned rat. Silly to do but I just HAD to get into the rain, it'd been too long and I just couldn't stay away. (I'm a programmer so I'm expected to be a little weird anyway, lol)

We're having a bit of rain today and it just makes me so happy - it's like the whole world is getting a bath, everything is fresh and clean and it smells good outside. I LOVE the smell of wet pavement, and the sound of rain on my windows...

I'd probably feel differently if I HAD to be outdoors in the rain, though.

Everyone always tells me I need to move to Seattle. I went there once and it was hot and sunny, I was really disappointed!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Having had a father (R.I.P. dad) who had the SAD, seasonal attitude depression, I believe it's called, we cringed because he would often get so angry at anything and everything when the weather was grey and seemingly at it's worst. Everyone always breathed a sigh of relief when just a tiny ray of sun would show through the clouds. My youngest sister would always tell him, "Daddy, the sun is just on the other side. Please, don't be sad." She told this to him often because she was the only one who could get through to him. It took words from his baby to calm him down. She was one his favorite and that was ok by us. She did what it took. She still tells her family, The sun is just on the other side.
    I was so engrossed yesterday, I didn't realize it rained. We are fortunate, every room has at least 2 windows or a double window. Rain or not, as long as I have natural light, I'm good.

Blog Entries
    I can't understand why people complain about the weather. Winter comes every year -it's not like we don't know its coming. We can not control the weather but we can control our thermostats.

Blog Entries
    I love rain and thunder storms. I've been in a few hurricanes in florida, and was amazed by them too.
    When it snows, it means the light in the sewing room will be nice and bright, and it's quilting time. Good or
    nice weathr makes me go outside , less time for quilting. I got a new mink jacket, I have a coat, and couldn't wait for cold weather to use it. I look forward to the cold too. it's 17* today with the windchill. I saw daffodils sticking up out of the ground. crazy weather.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

I like it all, sun, wind, rain, clouds, no clouds...even cold. Luckily I don't live where it gets too cold so it's relative!

Power Poster
    It makes a difference if one has to be IN it and working when it is extreme - or just observing it from a controlled climate.

My Dad would tell me to be happy to have weather at all - the alternative is a coffin. He also said that if I didn't like the weather here - move.

Weather (of any kind) is great - it allows us to complain, whine, praise, enjoy without consequence!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by orangeroom View Post
    Years ago I over heard many co-workers and visitors talking about how terrible the weather was outside. I thought I don't want to sound like that to a passerby. So I did the one thing that I could do. I changed my opinion about the weather. I can make it positive, no matter what's coming down or not coming down.
    This is a good thing to do about ANYTHING that could be construed as negative in a person's life. I find that a lot of people who complain about the weather just want to complain. If they're not complaining about the weather, they're complaining about their spouse, boss, car, neighbor.... whatever.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast