Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I've Been Converted, I want a Prius

I've Been Converted, I want a Prius

Last week my daughter flew in to spend a week with me. We decided to go to Lake Tahoe and up to Reno for two days. My car is great for local driving, but it only gets 22mpg (gas is over $4 a gallon here). Also, it is starting to have some issues. We decided to rent an economy car. The local Enterprise didn't have anything but SUVs, a pickup, and a Prius. The Prius was more expensive than I wanted, but he gave me a deal (20% off). The Prius advertises it gets 60mpg. Well, we didn't get that kind of mileage, only got 48mpg. We went from San Francisco to Tahoe, to Reno, back over the ski lift areas (over 10K feet climb) back to Tahoe, then back to Reno and home to San Francisco. All in all the trip was 600 miles. The Prius used 12.4 gallons to make that trip. If we hadn't crossed the Sierras twice and the ski lift mountain once, we'd have gotten the 60mpg. All in all, renting the Prius only cost me $25 a day over taking my own car and buying gas for it.

I, too, would love to have a Prius! I've known a couple of people with them and they can't stop talking about them!

Blog Entries
    I am glad you got good mileage with it. When they first came out we rented one and discovered for the type of driving we do on a daily basis it was not much better on mileage than a regular gas engine.

When we did the math (increased initial cost, increased interest payments etc) we were better off sticking with a gas engine. There also was an issue for us on space, with teens we need lots of leg room and trunk space for gear.

Our daily drive includes a mountain pass.

Dh recently drove from Calgary AB to Vancouver Island just under 700 miles on just over 13 US gallons of gas. A bit better than 50 miles to the US Gallon. Now it is basically downhill, I think he averaged 45 miles to the US gallon on the way up.

We have some friends who do most their driving locally and only need to worry about room for two adults who love their hybrid cars.
    Attending University. I will graduate a year after my son and year before my daughter.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    We have had one for 4 years. My husband drives it 100 miles a day commuting back and forth to work. As of now is average mileage for the life of the car is 47 mpg. When he worked at a different place and drove on a 2 lane road (so the speeds were lower) he had the average up over 50. With interstate higher speeds he is down a bit, but still excellent. We have had zero problems of any kind with the car and it is nearly the 100,000 mile mark.

My husband is 6'3" and our son is 6'1". Both of them drive it comfortably and our son is often in the backseat with no problems. We have taken it on several trips from Illinois to Nebraska with enough luggage to stay for the week.

Great car. We will likely buy another one when it's time for me to get a new car.

No thanks, I will keep driving a Silverado, longest lasting truck on the road. I like driving a truck, lights don't blind at night and bigger than all the cars on the road. Gas prices have not been that high and really dropping fast now. We haven;t taken a trip in this 2012 but did in old 2003 and 2000. Most small cars are just death traps.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    my mother got one when they first came out. i had just purchased a different car [which only gets 12mpg around town!] so i couldn't go out and get one, too. i keep looking at them over the years and drool. finally, i think i'll be able to get one next summer! contrary to most cars, the Prius gets better mileage locally and less on the highway.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Blog Entries
    Just bought a Prius V for my mom. Love it! Also did the drive from the Bay Area to Reno 2 weeks ago and spend $35 on gas. You know how high gas is here?!? Happy camper.
    Fraew

"I don't buy vintage quilts. By the time I finish the quilts I've started they've already become antiques." ~ Mark Lipinski
    Link to my albums: http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...85-albums.html

Quote Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
    No thanks, I will keep driving a Silverado, longest lasting truck on the road. I like driving a truck, lights don't blind at night and bigger than all the cars on the road. Gas prices have not been that high and really dropping fast now. We haven;t taken a trip in this 2012 but did in old 2003 and 2000. Most small cars are just death traps.
    I agree, I love my Dodge Ram pickup. Her Hemi engine isn't known for good MPG, but this truck comfortable ride in.
    We have been thinking about what to replace her with after she is paid off in 6 months, but nothing but another Dodge Pickup comes close. The way our road is during the winter a car won't do. If we had one it would sit in the garage 5 months out of the year, benefit from that is less mileage on it when trade in time comes.
    My Dodge pickup is almost 6 yrs old and has less than 57k miles on it.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)

Blog Entries
    I've owned a Prius for years, they are wonderful and so comfortable, I am 5'1" my dh is 6"0 my son in law is 6'4 we all fit comfortably and love to drive them. Plus service is wonderful (and seldom needed)
    Patski
    always learning

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=Chasing Hawk;5603908]I agree, I love my Dodge Ram pickup. Her Hemi engine isn't known for good MPG, but this truck comfortable ride in. [QUOTE]

My oldest son drives a giant Dodge 4 door truck. I don't know the details, but he put some sort of a computer do-dad on the engine and no gets 26 MPG. He can flip a switch in the cab and turn it off for when he needs pulling power. It has made it much more economical for him to drive and still allows him to have his big truck power fix that he so loves.

I have a Tahoe with 87000 miles on it...and you can't pry my fingers off the steering wheel! It's our "go-to truck" when all my adult kids want to travel with me...it gets decent mileage on the road, not so good in town...when it goes to Tahoe heaven, I hope there will be another somewhere with my name on it...DGD has a Prius...it rides okay, but not like my baby!
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

I am a Ford truck gal myself but it does get poor mileage. We don't drive it to do our running around everyday, mainly for towing trailers. We bought a Hyundai Tucson this year, very comfortable for us old folks, easy to get in and out of and we get25 mpg.
    Texas Sunshine, piney woods of NE Texas

I too, have a prius, in fact this is my second one. I have had it just over a year and am at the 44mpg mark. most of my driving is close around and up and down hills. I do take some longer trips over hills too. you do have to be careful how you drive to get the good mileage, but I sometimes take the trips just to keep the overall mileage up. I have a screen to watch the mpg and find myself trying to make the highest possible. I did make a trip from the oregon coast to central oregon ( across the cascades) and back on only one tank of gas. Of course, coming back down the mountains on the return trip did not hurt the mileage at all. I also find it very easy to drive and love it. I recommend them to people all the time, and often have been stopped to talk to people who cannot believe that it is running when they cannot hear an engine running.... I find I do have to be careful around walkers as they cannot always hear me coming.... not something you would expect..... I do love it and recommend everyone to try one, short, tall, skinny, fat, anything but blind....

I bought my prius C in march of this year. 3rd generation. My neighbors have the 1st and 2nd generations. Over the years I have been asking them many questions about their prius and they had nothing to say but postive things.I got all the bells and whistles on mine and don't regret it.My gas consumption was cut in half if not more. Last month my gas bill was less than 50.00. I drive for work ,so I put on alot of miles. In the city I avg. 50 to 80 miles per gal. Highway avg 55-60 miles per gal. I have reached 99.9. I was told toyoto sold there 1 st generation technology to ford and nissan.

Their batteries are hella expensive to, you save on gas mileage but some other things are more costly with a prius/hybrid
    Brother XL-3500i, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D, Juki MO-2000QVP

I drove one and really didn't like the way the inside looked. The finishes seemed cheap, especially the door panels and the seat covers. They looked at me like I was from Mars when I asked about leather and heated seats! I am a Vw gal all the way. I traded my Passat on a Mustang (thanks to DH) and hated it! I kept it 3 months and told the VW dealer to call me when he got a CC Sport in my color. He did, I traded again and am now a happy camper!

We've had a Prius for four years now. We average 44-46 mpg around town, but if we're on the highway and use our Cruise control, we get around 55 mpg. I love it! The only warning is about the generator. Our warranty on the generator is for 7 years. We will be sure to trade again before that 7 years is up because a new generator is $3000. Normally, we don't keep a car that long anyway, so it shouldn't be a problem.

We bought one that was loaded, leather seats, GPS, Bluetooth technology etc., and great radio. My husband is about 6'2" and he's very comfortable driving or riding with me.
    Karen in Kentucky

I love, love, love my Prius. Previously I had a Honda Civic Hybrid and loved it and was averaging 40 miles per gallon, but got greedy and wanted better mileage. Switched to my Prius and am averaging between 48 and 50 depending on where I'm driving. On a long trip I get over 50.

We have had a Prius since 2004 and have really enjoyed the economy of gas and find the car comfortable and responsive. A few minor problems buy Toyota service has been good.

Blog Entries
    I remember watching Top Gear (British car show) where they matched a Prius with a BMW. They drove the Prius around the track, full blast, for 10 laps, with the BMW following, to compare gas mileage. The Prius got 17 mpg, the BMW got 19 mpg, which tells me it matters less WHAT you drive, and more HOW you drive.

We own 2 paid-for vehicles, one is a Ford SUV. I'm often asked how I can afford paying to fill up my 30-gallon tank. My answer is, I pay $100 a month for gas, but nothing for a car payment. Why would I trade that for a $250 or $300 car payment, just so I can pay $50 a month for gas? The last person I said that to said, "Oh, I've never even thought about that...."

I've owned the SUV for 14 years and been in 3 accidents, all 3 were the fault of the other drivers, who were all driving compact cars. Every car was totaled, while 2 of the accidents left no marks on my SUV and the 3rd accident required replacement of a side panel - it was still drivable.

I'm glad you found the Prius satisfactory. I'll stick with my SUV.

I have driven the Prius and it was fine for where I was-low speeds in Australia. When I bought my present SUV I researched all types of cars, trucks, SUV's. We were going from 2 cars to 1 and wanted something to haul dogs, groceries, people and miscellaneous stuff while getting reliable durability and life out of the vehicle.
    We had a VW Toureg and an EOS - both had electric problems and both were leases. We returned them and ended up with a JEEP. She does not corner like the Toureg but she does get better gas mileage, she hasn't given us a bit of trouble, and I can haul whatever and know that I will get to where I need to go. She is based on the Mercedes M class technology.
    I feel that different cars, like anything else are needed for different people. If we all liked the same thing we would have only one car company or one quilt style or one type of sewing machine. The difference make us who we are and allow for inspiration and choices.

I love my Jeep!
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
    Susan

No small cars for us until they take 18 wheelers off the road and ban ALL phone calls and texting while driving. I want a car around me. My DH is a retired LEO, even in the city, wrecks with fatalities were usually in small cars. And I wouldn't want to be the used car owner when the hybrids need batteries..............

I'm on my second Prius! Love, love, love them. I average about 51 mpg, and find that the best mileage is obtained driving in hilly areas with no heat on. The air conditioning doesn't affect the gas mileage, but heating the car does since the heat comes from the gas powered engine, not the electric. I owned the first Prius for six years, and the only repair/expense was to replace tires and the regular battery....the one that starts the car. We get excellent service at our dealership too. There's plenty of room for four adults, and we have squeezed five in, and never have to pull the front seats forward. Can't say enough good things about it!
    psumom

I bought a Prius in 2007 right off the dealer floor. I LOVE it and am going to get another one in a few months. It is so comfortable and reliable. Since we bought it we have only had to buy a set of new tires. It averages 45 miles to the gallon but the new one gets 60 (at least that is what a lady told me she gets). Love, love my Prius!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast