Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I've Been Converted, I want a Prius >

I've Been Converted, I want a Prius

I've Been Converted, I want a Prius

Old 10-24-2012, 09:37 AM

I have driven the Prius and it was fine for where I was-low speeds in Australia. When I bought my present SUV I researched all types of cars, trucks, SUV's. We were going from 2 cars to 1 and wanted something to haul dogs, groceries, people and miscellaneous stuff while getting reliable durability and life out of the vehicle.
We had a VW Toureg and an EOS - both had electric problems and both were leases. We returned them and ended up with a JEEP. She does not corner like the Toureg but she does get better gas mileage, she hasn't given us a bit of trouble, and I can haul whatever and know that I will get to where I need to go. She is based on the Mercedes M class technology.
I feel that different cars, like anything else are needed for different people. If we all liked the same thing we would have only one car company or one quilt style or one type of sewing machine. The difference make us who we are and allow for inspiration and choices.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:40 AM

I love my Jeep!
Old 10-24-2012, 10:53 AM

No small cars for us until they take 18 wheelers off the road and ban ALL phone calls and texting while driving. I want a car around me. My DH is a retired LEO, even in the city, wrecks with fatalities were usually in small cars. And I wouldn't want to be the used car owner when the hybrids need batteries..............
Old 10-24-2012, 01:51 PM

I'm on my second Prius! Love, love, love them. I average about 51 mpg, and find that the best mileage is obtained driving in hilly areas with no heat on. The air conditioning doesn't affect the gas mileage, but heating the car does since the heat comes from the gas powered engine, not the electric. I owned the first Prius for six years, and the only repair/expense was to replace tires and the regular battery....the one that starts the car. We get excellent service at our dealership too. There's plenty of room for four adults, and we have squeezed five in, and never have to pull the front seats forward. Can't say enough good things about it!
Old 10-24-2012, 05:01 PM

I bought a Prius in 2007 right off the dealer floor. I LOVE it and am going to get another one in a few months. It is so comfortable and reliable. Since we bought it we have only had to buy a set of new tires. It averages 45 miles to the gallon but the new one gets 60 (at least that is what a lady told me she gets). Love, love my Prius!!
Old 10-24-2012, 05:26 PM

We've had two Prius cars, and loved them. Roomy enough for us and great mileage. Our last one had leather seats, and blue tooth, and all the bells and whistles. Sold it to our grand daughter and it was a great car for her. To each his own, but it really did get great gas mileage.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:46 PM

We are on our 2nd Prius and we love it. It gets great mileage and makes a great travel vehicle. I used our original Prius to go to quilting seminars with all most stuff, including a chair, sewing machine, and all my supplies. I also went once with a friend and all our stuff.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:31 AM

I, too, will stick with my truck. It is a 2001 and it is still going strong. The key to long life is regular maintance and oil changes.. Plus, I never know when I have to haul something. Last week I hauled home a new tree for my yard.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:28 AM

I love my Prius. I feel safe in it and my gas bill is minimal. It is quiet and I get 48 mpg. Had a Ford Escape and constantly putting gas in the tank. Resovled to get rid of it and get a Prius after doing lots of research on them.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:32 PM
Power Poster

DH did the math, the cost of buying a new Prius or keeping my car which is paid for. I would take me over 15 years to recoup the cost of the car in gas savings and I drive a Cadillac. No thanks. If you need to buy a new car it would be worth it. DH has never once thought of giving up his Silverado to save gas money.