Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
July 2011 Weight Loss Winner is Quiltin Chris! >

July 2011 Weight Loss Winner is Quiltin Chris!

July 2011 Weight Loss Winner is Quiltin Chris!

Old 07-01-2011, 07:17 AM

What life style changes have you found for weight control?

The biggest one that I have made in order to stay on the losing track is that when I am eating I put my fork down after every single bite. I do not pick the fork up again until there is no remnants of food left in my mouth.

I also do not drink 30 minutes before or after a meal.

I focus on protein, produce and fiber. Anything outside of that I leave alone. I do drink one to two glasses a spicy hot V-8 a day. (I love it and also if I am not able to eat a lot of veggies then I know I am getting a good portion of what I need) My stomach pouch is very small so I generally will leave the produce on my plate and try very hard to get the protein eaten first. Once the protein is eaten and if I still have room in my tummy then I will eat the produce. Make sense?

I also drink lots of water between meals.

Oh and since I have had my weight loss surgery I have been telling myself that I cannot tolerate carbonation so I do not ever drink soda anymore.

Another little trick I have been telling myself is that I am allergic to foods that are high in sugar or are empty calories (like cookies, cake, brownies, ice cream, etc). No I am not allergic but by telling myself that I can feel so good about walking away from it. I love those things but if I eat them then I do not have room for the good stuff I MUST eat.

This weekend is going to be a test because my sister is getting married on Sunday and the stress level is going to be sky high so I know I will be tempted to eat quick but crappy food. That and the cake and all that is going to be tempting. I will just have to keep telling myself that I am allergic. :) At least the food itself is going to be good. We are having it catered by an incredible BBQ place. Yumm-O! So, lots of protein in brisket and lots of yummy-ness in the whole meal. Man am I ever glad we chose BBQ for the food!! LOL!!

Anyways...I did not mean to write a novel but I wanted to share what I do that helps me stay on track with my eating and not have complications in my tummy from the surgery.

Missy
Old 07-01-2011, 08:17 AM

Im In, I lost my 8 lbs in June.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:21 AM

I also have been tring to get to the 10,000 steps haven't reached it yet but an every other day at the gym gives me a good push.

I find that I eat when I have pressing deadlines and feel over whelmed with too many things to do and I can't choose which needs to be done first and all need to be done NOW!

On the other hand when I am home in my sewing room on the week-end or eveings and busy being creative at my machine, I lose track of time and discover I am working in the twilight of the evening and it has been hours since I have eaten. Does that mean I sould quilt more and work less? YES! Tee-Hee!

Problem is not much calorie burn from sewing, ironing seams and ocassionally picking out my errors.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:30 AM

Thank you, charity-crafter, for the thought for the day.
[quote=charity-crafter]Let's talk about what works-
What triggers your gains?

Welcome to Clara101, talkn58, and DanaNVa. Welcome back to the rest of you. If you bookmark this site, you can get back to it easily. Or look in 'My Posts'.

I will post the winner later today when everyone has had a chance to get their numbers to me. Today is the 1st all day, so I feel I have to wait a bit.

Life style changes that work? The old 'Eat less, Move more' still is the golden rule of weight loss. Then comes changing what I eat. I am on an ice cream kick right now, so that brings in the the question of how much? I need to control my portions now that I can't lose weight easily. I already control my chemicals and high fructose sugar consumption that contribute to weight gain.

What triggers my gains? Depression - which seems be a common factor here, and sadness. I parted company with a good 'friend ' last night. I had all I could do not to eat everything in the house when I came home. Then I decided no one is going to have that much power over me and I went to work on my quilt. Of course, I put an entire row on up side down and have a date with my seam ripper today.

Missy, just for the wedding, not on a daily basis, you can put a bite of cake in your mouth, savor it, and slip it into a napkin. You don't have to swallow it. Your stomach doesn't have any taste buds.

WMUTeach, to increase exercise getting a dog or two is a winner. My cats didn't appreciate being taken for a walk. My dogs have been known to demand it.

BTW, I do have a lot of food allergies, but I don't care. The one I care about is this: I am allergic to food. I break out in fat.

I wish us all a clean eating, healthy day. I AM losing weight.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:40 AM

[quote=irishrose]Thank you, charity-crafter, for the thought for the day.
Originally Posted by charity-crafter
Let's talk about what works-
What triggers your gains?

Welcome to Clara101, talkn58, and DanaNVa. Welcome back to the rest of you.

I will post the winner later today when everyone has had a chance to get their numbers to me. Today is the 1st all day, so I feel I have to wait a bit.

Life style changes that work? The old 'Eat less, Move more' still is the golden rule of weight loss. Then comes changing what I eat. I am on an ice cream kick right now, so that brings in the the question of how much? I need to control my portions now that I can't lose weight easily. I already control my chemicals and high fructose sugar consumption that contribute to weight gain.

What triggers my gains? Depression - which seems be a common factor here, and sadness. I parted company with a good 'friend ' last night. I had all I could do not to eat everything in the house when I came home. Then I decided no one is going to have that much power over me and I went to work on my quilt. Of course, I put an entire row on up side down and have a date with my seam ripper today.

Missy, just for the wedding, not on a daily basis, you can put a bite of cake in your mouth, savor it, and slip it into a napkin. You don't have to swallow it. Your stomach doesn't have any taste buds.

BTW, I do have a lot of food allergies, but I don't care. The one I care about is this: I am allergic to food. I break out in fat.

I wish us all a clean eating, healthy day. I AM losing weight.
Oh how I hear you about depression eating! That is a real trigger for me too. I am so glad that others are posting about depression and anxiety. It is not because I want others to have to deal with those things but because I have schizophrenia I feel often times that I am dealing with this alone. Thank you guys for being brave enough to talk about it. It brings peace to my heart and I am so thankful for you guys!

I like the savor the bite and spit it out thing. I am going to do that!

Missy
Old 07-01-2011, 08:43 AM

Geez, I hope I'm not an enabler, but I know how much you enjoy cake (I don't). I'd stop at three bites. After that it all tastes the same.

I had a friend who tried to teach me to eat three bites because she felt that after that it all tasted the same as those first three bites. Worked for her, but she wasn't a compulsive overeater. I'm working on making it work for me. I love seeing half a candy bar in my candy jar. It means I controlled myself.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by irishrose
Geez, I hope I'm not an enabler, but I know how much you enjoy cake (I don't). I'd stop at three bites. After that it all tastes the same.
That is really true. So, if I try and program my thinking that after maybe one or two or three bites that it will taste yucky then that would definitely cause me to stop eating it. OR I could just focus on inhaling the BBQ brisket! LOL!

Missy
Old 07-01-2011, 09:19 AM

I'm in! Sounds like fun!
Old 07-01-2011, 09:38 AM

Thank you for the good ideas and reminders. Being a cat lady who is not home much, a dog is out of the question but pushing grand babies in the stroler would work.
Old 07-01-2011, 09:52 AM

Welcome, brewsa. Becoming the best you that you can be is always fun.