Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
July 2013 Weight Loss Adventure with a Prize!! >

July 2013 Weight Loss Adventure with a Prize!!

July 2013 Weight Loss Adventure with a Prize!!

Old 07-18-2013, 02:05 PM

Meanmom, is WW really worth the effort? I am very slow at loosing on my mom's LifePlan Diet. I am under 1000 calories a day and hardly even budge the scale. I have looked at ww but do not understand the "points" and all that. Let me know.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:09 PM

I have done well with WW. YOu can arrange it to eat pretty much whatever you want as long as it is within the points. According to everything I have read at 1000 calories that is too low. Your body thinks it is starving and goes into starvation mode and refuses to lose. With WW you can eat a pretty good amount. I have been going to spinning class all summer 3 to 5 days a week and not losing like I feel I should be, as I burn about 500 calories a class. At WW they said I should eat more and I am losing more.
Everyone has their thing that works for them to lose weight. Good luck. On WW almost all fruits and veggies are free. You can eat as much as you want. I asked about that and my leader and I got to laughing and decided if you eat that many fruits and veggies you would spend half of your day in the bathroom, so the calories wouldn't matter. Good luck on your journey.
Pat
Old 07-18-2013, 06:24 PM

QM, you can't lose weight under 1000 calories. You body thinks you are going to starve, so it goes into starvation mode and reduces the # of calories needed. 1200 is the lower limit. Add in a few daily calories, then, here's the shocker, add in a feast day at least once a week. That way your body doesn't go into starvation mode and keeps burning calories. This way of eating doesn't let your metabolism adjust to the lower # of calories.

The park wasn't hot, the salad was good, the company was good, but the music left something to be desired. Can't win them all. I haven't sewn on the expanding quilt yet today. I have a section to write for the church newsletter, then I'd better sew on it a little.

Does anyone have any experience with an adult tricycle? I haven't been bike riding since I developed neuropathy and the accompanying unstable spells. I called about a used one today. I've ridden my bike around here this month for the first time in years and have enjoyed it, but I wonder if I'd be more comfortable (mentally) on a 3 wheeler. Do they move as easily as a 2 wheeler? Do I want to spend that much money to find out?

One day closer to 'my' batiks.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:23 AM

Irish do you know anyone who has a tricycle you can borrow for a couple of days? Could you rent one at a park or something? I see people riding them around here, I have never ridden one.
QM yes your calories are too low. That is why my WW leader says I'm not losing like I think I should with my spinning class. I am exercising too much for the number of calories I am using and my body is holding on to what it has, it thinks it is going to starve. I assure you I have plenty of fat reserves for it to consume. Try adjusting your calories up a little and see if you don't start dropping pounds. It doesn't make sense to my mind but it does work.
I am heading to the airport to pick up my DS from Japan. OMG I am going to need help with my eating. He will probably need to stop for pizza on the way home, and beer of course. At least I don't drink beer. He is going to kill my chance for those batiks.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:19 AM

I agree 1000 calories is way too low.

Pat - good luck on your eating while your son in home. Prayers for you.

I am going to post another pic of the batiks now that I have the lime green from Irishrose. More temptation and desire to win the pot. They look so good together.

I will be getting the T-shirt quilt back from the quilter today, weekend will be spent putting the binding on it so I can get it back and paid for it. The thorn in my side will be done very soon. Yeah.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:46 AM

I just talked to the owner of the trike (he calls it a bike). I will go look at it as soon as my grandson arrives this afternoon. It sounds like a winner. 2 speed and pedals easily. He just came down $100 on the price and will deliver it. He offered to bring it here, but it doesn't seem fair to him to ask him to do that and then not want it for some reason. I can drive 25 miles.

I'm glad you'll be done with the T shirt quilt, Cindy. I'd like to get this stained glass one that needs expanding out of my living room. It's not my shade of burgundy.

Putting pork in the crockpot - pork loin, C of C soup, salsa, pkg of of taco seasoning. Cook until done and stir in a can of refried beans. Can go on a plate or in a tortilla - very useful. Last time I added garlic powder and cumin with the beans.

Have a good day.
Judy
Old 07-19-2013, 08:15 AM

So not enough intake. Hmmmm, this is what my mom's diets was though. I am going to follow as you say and increas the calories. I am getting leg cramps on this diet so have to do something. I need my rest and the massage therapist is after me. She said that it seemed like I lost a little around my waist but I don't feel like it. This morning when I weighed in, since Sunday, I have lost, ready for it..... one pound. Oh boy, the DH comes in the garage this am, where my longarm is, and said he can feel the difference in his stomach already and his pants are feeling a bit looser. I am going to get there. Going to check into the ww and see if I can follow that better. I so want to feel like I can enjoy food without limiting myself so much and get the leg cramps gone.
Old 07-19-2013, 03:16 PM

Judy that sounds pretty tasty. I will have to try that. My DS thinks we need to grill every night. Hopefully I can keep him under control. We had to stop on the way home from the airport to get beer. 3 cases of beer. Luckily I don't like it. He hasn't mentioned pizza yet but I am sure that is coming next.
Qm I personally like WW because I can make anything fit into it. If I know I can't have something I will immediately crave it. A McDonalds Big Mac is one of my absolutely favorite foods. Just knowing I can go get one if I want keeps me from needing it. It would cost me half of my daily allowance but I could if I wanted. The way my mind works this works for me. I rarely make separate dinners for the family. Sometimes I will pull my portion out before I add the cheese or something. I think it is just figuring out how your brain works and what program is for you. Did you try bananas or tomatoes for the leg cramps. I was getting leg cramps in spinning class and someone suggested drinking poweraid zero. I have been drinking a glassful in the morning and it seems to help with leg cramps. Good luck.
Pat
Old 07-20-2013, 02:16 PM

Pulled out one of my 'how to' books (notice I didn't say 'diet book') and in one put out by Consumer Guide - "Foods that Make you Lose Weight", I found this interesting information - paraphrased a bit because it was a long paragraph --If your 'diet' includes skipping meals, fasting, or eating less than 1,000 caolories per day, it lowers your body's metabolic rate. The metabolic rate is the amount of energy, or calories, a resing, awake body needs just to breathe and stay alive. If you...eat too little, the body thinks it's starving, so it begins to shut down and conserve resources. ...Your body doesn't know you're dieting; it thinks the world is on the brink of a famine, so it switches into 'starvation mode' to conserve fat stores. The lower your metabolic rate goes, the more difficult it is to lose weight. In fact, just skipping breakfast every day lowers your metabolic rate by four to five percent, resulting in a one-pound weight gain every seven weeks without eating extra food. ...To prevent your body from switching into this 'starvation mode' and burning up muscle, you need to eat at least 1,200 calories per day divided up into at least three meals. (end)
Man, that was an eye-opener for me - QM, please increase your calories - and those of you who skip breakfast, consider changing that habit. I'm finding good things that I'll be using for our Terrific Tuesdays for a few weeks in this book.
Old 07-20-2013, 06:21 PM

Good info there Kathleen. Thanks for all the work you do researching info for us. I know it takes time. Time you could be quilting.
We are having a great time in San Francisco. Every day is exhausting. We are trying to see as much as possible and dragging a baby along with us. I am making some good food choices. Also some not so good ones. For instance, this morning we had brunch in China Town. There were no healthy choices on the dim sum menu. We had 2 Chinese girls with us choosing our food. The only things I could eat that did not contain MSG were dessert type things and some little egg roll type things. It was all pretty tasty but there was not a healthy item to choose. I had a fish stew for dinner to make up for it. We rented a house instead of getting 3 hotel rooms. This place is huge! 3 bedrooms, 2 1/2 baths plus a little bonus potty room off the laundry room if we get desperate. It must be close to 2000 square ft.