Jury Duty

Old 10-07-2013, 05:47 AM

I've gotten called 3 times, the first time I was dismissed because it was an abuse case and I had been an abused child. The second got cancelled and the last one I'd prepaid for classes for that time frame so they let me out.

It's just crazy how they do things here. In Norfolk, you have to call the number they give you once a week for a month to see if your number comes up, you can only be summed to come once during that month. You get great doughnuts while you wait, I get paid from my work as well as the city. One of the other cities, you have to call each night and can be told to showup as many times as they want to come in during that month. So glad I don't live in that city. They used chose people by their voters registration but some dont register to vote to avoid that, now they call by car registration. You can't be called more than once in 3 yrs and now that they have a bigger pool, it takes alot longer for them to get around to you.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by mrs. fitz View Post
P.S. I just checked - the current pay 40 years later is $5/day. Taking a bus would cost almost as much and parking would cost more.
See here, its free parking and even if you are only there a short while, as long as you show up you get paid I think it was about 35 for the day. I know it was alot more than 5. I would love to know where Norfolk gets thier doughnuts from because I'd go just for them, they are the best.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by Inez Ruth View Post
Thanks to all of you! You really have helped me be a lot less anxious about this. I will take my Kindle (I love to read and my hand is broken so I can't hand sew) and just go with the flow. I asked my neighbors if they could take my dog out during the day, and, turns out, they're both off that week and are happy to help.
Check with the courts, here you can not bring any electronic devices, not even ereaders into any court.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:55 AM

I have served on Federal Court and it was very interesting to watch the court room dynamics. I'd do it again in a heart beat!
Old 10-07-2013, 01:17 PM
Banned

I just looked at the jury duty website for my county. We can bring anything we can get through security. They have free wi-fi and show 2 movies during the day. Pay is $8 per half day and $3 for transportation or free bus tickets.