Jury Duty

Old 10-03-2013, 02:15 PM

On my soap box here: I know that jury duty is often inconvenient and can be disturbing BUT what if we didn't have juries? And, if we did have the jury, what if the jury was made up of people who didn't care or were not interested enough to really listen and make educated decisions? What if that jury was hearing a case that involved a family member, either as the defendant or as the person that the crime was committed against? And what if YOU were the defendant? Wouldn't you want the best people possible on that jury?
I am a retired teacher and usually got called up 1-2 times a year. I am fortunate to live in Houston where we can reschedule jury duty if we have a conflict (and I had to, usually due to a planned field trip or program involving my students) but I was always proud to serve. When our constitution was written, this was an important part of it after what our forefathers had experienced. I may not always like what I have to hear and see but I listen and try to make the very best decision that I can with God's help.
It is ironic that now that I have been retired for 7 years, I have only gotten 1 jury summons. But I answered it proudly!
Old 10-03-2013, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by raedar63 View Post
I also just got a notice for a three month term. I am very nervous as I simply can not afford to be off of work !
Check with your HR department at work. When I was called up, I still got paid for the day because I had a voucher from the clerk.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by JanieH View Post
On my soap box here: I know that jury duty is often inconvenient and can be disturbing BUT what if we didn't have juries?
In my opinion, it isn't the fact that we have to serve that is annoying. It's the fact that you often have to sit around for an entire week doing nothing, and usually end up not getting called into an actual trial. This has happened to my husband 4 times and it's such a huge waste of time. I wish they'd make the system a little more efficient.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:57 PM

I was on jury duty years ago. I tried to get the weeks changes but they wouldn't. My kids were just old enough to leave home alone. It was the last week before school started and the first week of school. Nightmare time to have to go. I was the first juror called and was on a case within 30 minutes. The case lasted a week and a half. It was an attempted rape case. I was jury foreman. It was really interesting. If I ever needed a defense attorney I would hire the one at this trial.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:42 PM

I've served on both a custody case jury and a grand jury. The grand jury especially was quite interesting and fortunately we were able to conclude in only one day each time. The custody case was more of a formality than a decision since only the one requesting custody showed up! The grand jury we voted to go on and stay late instead of coming back the next day since many of us were missing time from work in order to serve.
Old 10-04-2013, 04:54 AM

Guess not!!! I've only been called 3 times (I'm 69). Most memorable: in court house on morning of 9/11. Then the following Dec, my beloved hubby passed, then 1 week later my Dad passed. So end of 2001 was a very bad time....We couldn't hear any news that am, so when let go that afternoon, heard on radio & had tv on rest of day. Next day, drove to downtown, noticed all parking meters were covered. Later that day, we were asked to quitely & orderly manner to leave the bldg. When back inside, we were dismissed. The other 2 times, we were dismissed...
Old 10-04-2013, 05:58 AM
Banned

Thanks to all of you! You really have helped me be a lot less anxious about this. I will take my Kindle (I love to read and my hand is broken so I can't hand sew) and just go with the flow. I asked my neighbors if they could take my dog out during the day, and, turns out, they're both off that week and are happy to help.
Old 10-04-2013, 06:14 AM

I have been notified that I am on the Federal list for next year. I do not mind serving, but the Federal Court is in downtown Orlando, close to 30 miles away and you have to be there at some ridiculous hour like 8AM. I usually haven't even had my morning tea by then.
Old 10-04-2013, 06:19 AM

JanieH makes very good points, I'd just rather be at my local courthouse.
Old 10-04-2013, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by alwayslearning View Post
Federal Court is in downtown Orlando, close to 30 miles away
Lucky you! Mine is 3 hours away! I'd have to get up at 4 am!