Jury Duty

Old 10-02-2013, 06:15 PM

I was called up two years ago for a "high profile" murder case. Unfortunately, I had read too much about it online, and in newspapers, so I was dismissed. (She was found guilty!)
Old 10-02-2013, 06:21 PM

I also just got a notice for a three month term. I am very nervous as I simply can not afford to be off of work !
Old 10-03-2013, 03:24 AM

I've received notices every four years, get placed on telephone stand-by, but have never had to physically report. Now that I'm retired, I'd love to actually serve....but being very outspoken, I'd probably be asked to leave!
Old 10-03-2013, 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by Inez Ruth View Post
Got a summons to jury duty in the mail today. I won't complain (much) as I'm 57 and this is the first time and it's only two days. Hopefully, as I'm an ex-cop and a retired IRS agent, no defense attorney will want me on their jury.
Probably not,but you'll still have to sit there until they dismiss the whole pool for that week. I had jury duty several years ago, didn't get called to a jury,but spent a week in the jury room waiting. I do think they let me bring hand sewing.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:17 AM

I've served three times including foreman once. Two were drug cases and the third a neighbor dispute which was very interesting. I was the foreman on that one. A retired police officer was on that jury and was able to really give interesting background on property law. I really learned so much in each case and don't mind serving at all. I was called for an animal cruelty case, but thankfully was not even interviewed. A friend was on the jury and said it was horrid and lasted five days. She said it just made her sick. One juror was dismissed because she got so upset.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:16 AM

Was called for jury duty a year or so ago and had to serve, didn't think I would because I not only worked in the county jail for 17years, but also knew the officers working in the courtroom. Was glad I did as I picked up on testimony that perhaps saved a 18 year old from having his whole life ruined. Just saying if you serve that it is meant to be. Good luck.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
When I've been called into jury duty it's been because of drunk drivers having done bodily injury I get dismissed early because I've lost two family member to drunk drivers and the one's daughter was badly injured and unable to go to her mother's funeral. My husband has no tolerance for domestic violence and has been called to jury duty only to be let go also. He tells them he has a rope in his truck and will let them use it. One attorney actually said "This is a serious matter and not to make joke of it. " DH told them he wasn't joking. He came from an abusive domestic violence background and had absolutely no tolerance for batterers of any species. He has no children because of what his father did to him. He has never raised his hand toward me. My first husband swung at me with a broken beer bottle and missed. I didn't miss with my rolling pin. After that incident I filed for divorce. Luckily, our son didn't see it.
I had to laugh at this as I came from a first destructive relationship. Swing away for all of us who have survived and are stronger for it!!
Old 10-03-2013, 10:11 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

LO I agree .. I was called up on a abusive/physical and sexual abuse trial-at that time I was a in home day care person and I told the attorney: Lorena Bobbit scissors would do a fine job; then after that turn him loose with a bunch of PMSing women who had been sexually abused when they were little and see how he turns out. Needless to say I was dismissed. Imagine that <saracasm there> LOL
Old 10-03-2013, 10:57 AM

No doubt you will be dismissed, but its a shame that your occupation can make that much difference
Old 10-03-2013, 01:07 PM

I was not dismissed for a DUI trial even though I am a former police officer, friends with the arresting officer and worked in a jail for 10 years. I told them I could not be unbiased about DUIs due to my background and having 2 teenage drivers but they still made me an alternate juror. Sometimes, it doesn't matter about your background I guess.