just a sad day

Old 04-26-2009, 05:55 AM

Barb, I can't imagine the anguish you are feeling. Thank you for bringing this important topic to everyone's attention. Prayers are with you.
Old 04-26-2009, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by Barbm
I count all of you as my quilting family and I see so much warmth offered to everyone in time of need and I thought I'd share a little bit of my day with you. Today is the 4th anniversary of my brother's "Angel Day"- the day he went to heaven after committing suicide.

It is and always will be a difficult day for me. I loved my baby brother so much and I knew he had mental illness issues for several years that would ebb and flow. I now know the "why" and the turmoil he had leading up to his death.

This isn't "feel sorry for me", it's about recognizing mental illness and raising awareness that there's help out there for those who need it. I've chosen to take a life altering moment and educate myself and make it my "soap box" to stand on. It is a sensitive topic but shouldn't be ignored.

So why am I writing this- to stop everyone else from becoming one of me- a survivor of suicide. Every 16 minutes there's a suicide and every 17 minutes there's another me- a survivor. I hate this statistic, but it sticks with me, day in and day out. I have such a headache today of trying to be brave and act like nothing's wrong but as the day has gone on, I'm crying more and feeling the loss more and more.

Well, need to wipe the tears and nose, get rid of the red eyes and get back to work. Just needed to make sure I get my message out there- I hope someday my pain can mean someone will get help. If you want to learn more go to ASFP.org and learn some interesting facts.

Thanks for listening.
Barb
Doctors are just starting to touch the tip of the iceberg on the effects of hormones and neurotransmitters on the body. The older I get, the more certain I am that those who have had problems truly have had a mental illness, just the same as someone with heart problems, diabetes, or any other prevalent disease. :( That doesn't make it any better for those who have lost someone to the illness, but it should provide solace knowing that there wasn't anything they could have done.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:18 PM

I just saw your post tonight but I wanted to offer my prayers and tell you how trulu sorry I am for your loss ( My brother was murdered 14 years ago and he was my only brother so I know that kind of pain) My heart goes out to you and we just have to try and remember all those good memories out brothers gave us. I am thinking of you tonight, Lots of Hugs to you...
Old 04-26-2009, 08:34 PM

Barb,
I am so sorry for your loss and your pain. Thank you for taking a stand for those with mental illness. I believe in helping others you will find comfort and healing.
Hugs,
Muriel
Old 04-27-2009, 03:04 AM
DCJ

I too have lost a sibling to suicide in 1986. He was 14 years old. I was away at school at the time. We were all stunned.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:44 AM

When Loved ones become memories then memories become treasures....

God Bless You
Old 04-27-2009, 08:12 PM

Barb, i'm so sorry, and it seems you loved your brother very much, your love for him comes through in your posts. I do know, that when someone does this, it is no reflection on you or your family, or what you could have done or not done. When someone does this, it is not that they want to die, they just don't know how to go on living. It is a medical problem, an illness, a chemical inbalance, like you said. It makes me sad that the system does fail some people, or they aren't able to get the help when they need it, for whatever reason. Your bringing this up brings knowledge and hope to the situation. And i believe where there is knowledge there is power. So you continue to fight to bring more knowledge about mental illness, and your fight won't be in vain (((hugs)))
Old 04-28-2009, 04:31 AM

Thank you to all that posted. I never want to feel like you need to feel sorry for me. I carry my heartache and I just want people to know that it is an illness and there are meds to help. It is a chemical imbalance- this was a huge reality check for me- I have a sister that has huge anxiety issues. I would get mad that she relied on drugs, but I now know- they are necessary.

I'd love to put prozac in the water system here- I know a few people who could use calming down a bit. :)

Again, thanks to all- April is a difficult month for me but a day or two after his burial date I am better, the situation is put into perspective once again and I move on, more determined than ever to raise awareness. Thanks for letting me get on my soapbox.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:48 AM

Barbm,
Mental Illness is one of the silent, most destructive, life altering, and least recognized of the medical field. I served on our local county mental health board for two years because of my alcoholic father and mentally ill sister. Believe me I'm right beside you on that soapbox.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I pray that you will find comfort in helping others!

Big hugs,
Sharon
Old 04-28-2009, 08:11 AM

Barbm, I am so sorry for the pain you experience this day. I hope that one day the pain is a little easier to bear and you can remember only good times with your brother. My sympathies!

((((HUGS))))

Kyia