Kindle Fire

Old 12-26-2011, 07:53 AM

with the Kindle Fire can I get on the internet from anywhere. Does it have built in wifi?
Old 12-26-2011, 10:21 AM

I have a Kindle Fire I got shortly before Christmas - mostly to check my e-mail when we're in FL for the winter and to put on games for the grandchildren. At first I was so frustrated, I called Kindle and told them I was ready to throw it out the window. She guided me through the process I was having trouble with, and it works fine now. Lots of free apps. Am still trying to figure some things out; but, overall, I like it. The price was much more friendly than an I Pad.
Old 12-26-2011, 10:22 AM

No built-in Wifi. You must be in a place that has wifi.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:22 AM

I forgot to mention that the Kindle Fire really has unlimited memory, because you can use the cloud..which has unlimited space, and then download to your device.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Monika View Post
I'm interested in replies to this. I am considering a Kindle Fire too.
I have a Kindle Fire and so far I don't have any complaints. It's best to know what you're getting before you buy.

http://valu-trek.com/review-kindle-f...s-all-the-fuss
Old 12-30-2011, 09:55 PM

My local library loans audio and e-books that turn themselves in after 2 weeks. I'm betting you can manually remove any book from your device and either store it in the "cloud" or zip the file and save on your computer hard drive or a dedicated external hard drive (for non-amazon files).
Old 12-31-2011, 02:14 PM

Kindle - library books automatically are returned on their due date. Move other books to Archive by clicking and holding. You can retrieve from archive - I just haven't learned how yet = LOL. Got mine for Christmas. I bought Kindle Touch for DH and myself instead of Kindle Fire, because we have WiFi in our house and don't need the built-in capability - saves $50. Haven't learned a thing about apps yet. I love being able to check out books from my library without leaving my house.
Old 12-31-2011, 02:29 PM

Santa brought me the Kindle Touch. I live in the boonies without WiFi possibility any time in the future. Am really enjoying mine. Think I need to make it a little protective quilt.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:07 PM

Me too, I love the kindle fire. It is amazing....

Originally Posted by ione View Post
I love my Kindle Fire. It had a few irritations on it when it first came out. But they have already made two updates to the softwear and it is working much much better. It was hanging up when you went to a new link and about drove me crazy!
Anyway, it has many apps, I like word games. It also streams movies for free--you will need a netflix account, or Amazon has a long list of freebies.I thought the screen would really be too small for movies, but it seems not to be.
I read and send Email on it, and of course my favorite is the reading of books. Probably the thing I find the worst is that the screen is not like the Kindle Fire Case--it does have some glare. And the battery time is shorter than I would like it. But all in all I would give an A.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:19 PM
Power Poster

I have the Kindle Fire and just found out I can upload pdf files from my computer to the Kindle! I can put convert quilt patterns to pdf and have them in color on my Kindle. All of them in one place that is portable and much easier then having my laptop in my sewing room. I may buy another just to store all my quilting files. I can scan patterns and easily have them uploaded to my Kindle. I bought the anti glare protective screen and it works great. Turning off Wi Fi will extend the battery by half. Also turning off web page acceleration will actually have the browser page load faster. There are a lot of expert Kindle techs on the Kindle forum who have all kinds of info how to get the most from your Kindle.

Last edited by BellaBoo; 01-12-2012 at 06:22 PM.