Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Kindle...Kindle...Do you Do Kindle?? >

Kindle...Kindle...Do you Do Kindle??

Kindle...Kindle...Do you Do Kindle??

Old 11-30-2009, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Loretta
Can you resell any book (like a textbook) from your Kindle?
I haven't read that anywhere Loretta...but, I doubt it due to copyrights, etc.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:12 PM

I'm no expert on this subject, but I think not. I think with the Barnes & Nobles Nook you can transfer, but not sure about that.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:40 PM

I, too, love to read so I asked for a Nook for Christmas. Just reading everyone's posts has me really excited about getting it!! My son in law, who is an IT, compared the Nook to his Kindle and said he likes the Nook better, so that is the one I am going with.

The Kindle has the capability to read to you if you want to listen to your book, the Nook does not. The Nook does let you loan your books to someone else for a month, the Kindle does not allow sharing. If you are in a Barnes and Noble with a Nook, you can download ANY book free and read it while you are in the store. If you want to take it home, you have to buy it---but it is a great way to "browse" books.

There is a comparison chart on the Barnes and Noble web site that will let you see the features of each. I think both are pretty equal and it will be a matter of personal choice.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:50 PM

Ok - the Sony eReader is going back! As I mentioned before, the first one was defective so they replaced it. However, it is NOT user friendly at all. I'm not real "techy" and I know I'll end up putting it away in frustration and it will be a total waste of money. Also - the list of library books is very limited and the books only last for 7 days. I'll return it for a refund and think about either the Kindle or the Nook. Right now I'm annoyed and won't think of either! That's why I hate all this technology stuff. Sometimes it's just more trouble than it's worth. So, to anyone interested in these things - stay away from the Sony!
Old 12-01-2009, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by redquilter
Ok - the Sony eReader is going back! As I mentioned before, the first one was defective so they replaced it. However, it is NOT user friendly at all. I'm not real "techy" and I know I'll end up putting it away in frustration and it will be a total waste of money. Also - the list of library books is very limited and the books only last for 7 days. I'll return it for a refund and think about either the Kindle or the Nook. Right now I'm annoyed and won't think of either! That's why I hate all this technology stuff. Sometimes it's just more trouble than it's worth. So, to anyone interested in these things - stay away from the Sony!
Thanks for that info Red! It is a good to know!:)I do wish we could play w/these...maybe these stores need to have them out on a cable or something for you to play around with....unless they do and I've missed seeing them:)Then again, they could have people like me endlessly hugging them and not able to share w/the others in line:)LOL
Old 12-01-2009, 06:45 PM

Thanks for that info Red! It is a good to know!:)I do wish we could play w/these...maybe these stores need to have them out on a cable or something for you to play around with....unless they do and I've missed seeing them:)Then again, they could have people like me endlessly hugging them and not able to share w/the others in line:)LOL[/quote]

More than happy to share the knowledge. Heaven knows I don't often have much to go around, but when I do - it's up for grabs!
Old 12-02-2009, 07:06 AM
Power Poster

Thanks for the heads up on that Red. My Dad's wife is thinking about getting one-I'll pass it along.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:53 AM

I also love, love, love! my Kindle. I have the Kindle 2 and it far superior to the Kindle 1. Yes they can be used for college textbooks -- far more economical and no weight. Also, Kindle has just issued an improvement wherein you can load .pdf documents directly to your Kindle. I have a User Manual for my Bernina software, Version 6, which is in .pdf format, and I can now download it to my Kindle and read it whenever I want.

I think they now cost around $250, but well worth the price. Downloads are almost instant, and a charged battery will usually last about a week, so you have to plan ahead for that.

Also there are plenty of free books. For instance, yesterday I downloaded a free Slow Cooker Cookbook.

They are such fun!
Old 12-04-2009, 02:29 PM

Informative link! I was looking at the Sony last weekend and almost made a purchase. I guess I will have to get online and spend more time comparing products.
Old 12-04-2009, 03:11 PM

I just got my husband to build me beutiful bookcases, with lots of books . I don't think I should get one now. I love the look and feel of books. I'm not saying I would never have one,but right now I don't think so.