Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 30

Thread: Kindle owners, have you?

  1. #1
    Power Poster Lacelady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    12,322
    Blog Entries
    19
    Have you found any quilt books available for Kindles, and if so, are they remotely useable on that small screen?
    I am thinking of treating myself to one for Christmas, but still have a few niggling doubts so I need your opinions please.

  2. #2
    Super Member plainpat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Mid-West
    Posts
    3,838
    Blog Entries
    11
    Haven't seen them for Kindle, but check Amazon.They have a bunch of them.Not sure if Kindle screen would work good.Please post & let us know.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Ramsgate. Kent England
    Posts
    444
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacelady
    Have you found any quilt books available for Kindles, and if so, are they remotely useable on that small screen?
    I am thinking of treating myself to one for Christmas, but still have a few niggling doubts so I need your opinions please.
    What is a kindle?

  4. #4
    Super Member plainpat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Mid-West
    Posts
    3,838
    Blog Entries
    11
    An electronic reading device that downloads books from the seller...Amazon sells both.They also have older,classic free book downloads for Kindle.Go to Amazon to read all about it.

    "What is a kindle?"

  5. #5
    Member egagnon291's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Meriden, CT
    Posts
    96
    I don't have a kindle, but I asked my daughter. She said yes, there are quilt books. If you wanted to print a pattern from one you could, but you would have to do it one page at a time. At least that's my understanding. I don't like the electronic books, but my daughter loves hers.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Ramsgate. Kent England
    Posts
    444
    Quote Originally Posted by justme2
    An electronic reading device that downloads books from the seller...Amazon sells both.They also have older,classic free book downloads for Kindle.Go to Amazon to read all about it.

    "What is a kindle?"
    Thank you

  7. #7
    Super Member ssgramma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Bowling Green, KY
    Posts
    2,028
    Here is a list of "Quilting" books for Kindle. I especially love #12 LOL

    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...&sprefix=quilt

  8. #8
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    KC MO
    Posts
    1,401
    Blog Entries
    6
    There was a post here this week about making one of those I will go see if I can find it and post it.

  9. #9
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ft. Myers, Florida
    Posts
    1,021
    I have a kindle, mine is the smaller screen, they came out with a larger screen after I got mine, but you can hook your kindle up to the computer and read it on your computer screen. I love that the kindle is lightweight fits in my purse and can be plugged in or run on batteries. I don't have any quilt books on it yet, but I plan on getting some soon. I actually didn't think I'd like the kindle as I have always liked turning the pages in a book, but once I got it, I LOVE it. I think you can even get audio books on it. Maybe I'm mistaken about that.

  10. #10
    Power Poster Lacelady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    12,322
    Blog Entries
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by ssgramma
    Here is a list of "Quilting" books for Kindle. I especially love #12 LOL

    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...&sprefix=quilt
    Thank you, they look promising, so at least I know there are some available. I wonder what influences Amazon to add more of a particular subject.

  11. #11
    Power Poster Lacelady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    12,322
    Blog Entries
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Terryl
    I have a kindle, mine is the smaller screen, they came out with a larger screen after I got mine, but you can hook your kindle up to the computer and read it on your computer screen. I love that the kindle is lightweight fits in my purse and can be plugged in or run on batteries. I don't have any quilt books on it yet, but I plan on getting some soon. I actually didn't think I'd like the kindle as I have always liked turning the pages in a book, but once I got it, I LOVE it. I think you can even get audio books on it. Maybe I'm mistaken about that.
    Thank you Terry, it's interesting to have your comments. I do most of my reading in bed, or while waiting for appts. at doctors or hospitals, which is why I was thinking one of these might be nice.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Candela59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Mesa, Arizona
    Posts
    698
    I have a Nook and I know that there are quilting ebooks out there. I just can't imagine using a Nook for that purpose. The screen would be way too small I would think.

    I love my Nook, but then I'm an avid reader...

  13. #13
    Super Member amandasgramma's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    La Pine Oregon, USA
    Posts
    5,909
    I'd heard of Kindle, but hadn't looked into it. I have a question or two. 1) Can you do other things on internet - other than download books? Like - look at your e-mails? 2) If my DH is on his computer (in the motorhome) and I want to read those e-mails, will it connect to his internet port??? (as in WiFi)????

    Or is this thing strictly for book reading?

  14. #14
    Super Member Rose Marie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Clay Springs AZ
    Posts
    3,227
    This is another way to make money. I share my books with others and you cant do that with a Kindle.

  15. #15
    Super Member amandasgramma's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    La Pine Oregon, USA
    Posts
    5,909
    I do, too, normally. However, when traveling we usually end up with more books than dishes in our RV......to have something that we can access and read and takes up such small space will be invaluable. Our local book exchange store has started charging 1/2 the original cost of a book...AFTER taking in our books. Getting too expensive.

  16. #16
    Power Poster Lacelady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    12,322
    Blog Entries
    19
    a
    Quote Originally Posted by amandasgramma
    I'd heard of Kindle, but hadn't looked into it. I have a question or two. 1) Can you do other things on internet - other than download books? Like - look at your e-mails? 2) If my DH is on his computer (in the motorhome) and I want to read those e-mails, will it connect to his internet port??? (as in WiFi)????

    Or is this thing strictly for book reading?
    There are two versions of the Kindle 3, I think both have wifi, and one has a 3G capability, but I'm not savvy enough to know much about them. Check out the details on Amazon.com

  17. #17
    Power Poster amma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Out searching for some sunshine :-)
    Posts
    59,079
    Blog Entries
    1
    I wondered about the screen being to small to see the details, too. I think I would want to check this out before I purchased one...

  18. #18
    Power Poster Lacelady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    12,322
    Blog Entries
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by amma
    I wondered about the screen being to small to see the details, too. I think I would want to check this out before I purchased one...
    I don't know of anywhere here that I could see one working first - it's a shame that QVC don't sell them, 'cos I could send it back if I didn't like it if I got it from them.

  19. #19
    Super Member ssgramma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Bowling Green, KY
    Posts
    2,028
    I have the Kindle 2 and yes, you can get on the internet but even if you are in a 3G area it is a little slow. I can NOT get my broadband webmail but I can get Yahoo mail so I forward all emails from my webmail to my Yahoo when we are gone and I don't take the notebook.

    It has helped us out a couple of times in cities when we need a quick map or to search for a place.

    I'm not sure exactly how the new ones (wifi) work as I haven't paid much attention to them.

    And for those who think it's another way for them to get $$$ I want to say that I have bought only a very few books in the last 1.5 years! Only authors that I HAD to have the new book or authors that had offerred the 1st of a series as a freebie to entice buyers. Also most of the books I did buy were $6 or under.

    They have an awful lot of free books - you just have to check often as the selection changes.

    I love my Kindle!!! No more dusting a library worth of books, moving them place to place or selling them at yard sales ;-)

  20. #20
    Junior Member Cindy2201's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    western NY
    Posts
    153
    Blog Entries
    2
    I got my kindle a few weeks ago mainly for when we take our trips. I generally take 3-4 books to read while we are gone. I looked for quilting magazines for them but so far I haven't found any. I'm sure the books would be out there. Mine is the new generation one so it is 3G wi-Fi and wonderful! I listened to some of it when I first got it but doubt i'll ever do an actual whole book audio...reading adn listening just aren't the same.

  21. #21
    Power Poster Lacelady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    12,322
    Blog Entries
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by ssgramma
    I have the Kindle 2 and yes, you can get on the internet but even if you are in a 3G area it is a little slow. I can NOT get my broadband webmail but I can get Yahoo mail so I forward all emails from my webmail to my Yahoo when we are gone and I don't take the notebook.

    It has helped us out a couple of times in cities when we need a quick map or to search for a place.

    I'm not sure exactly how the new ones (wifi) work as I haven't paid much attention to them.


    And for those who think it's another way for them to get $$$ I want to say that I have bought only a very few books in the last 1.5 years! Only authors that I HAD to have the new book or authors that had offerred the 1st of a series as a freebie to entice buyers. Also most of the books I did buy were $6 or under.

    They have an awful lot of free books - you just have to check often as the selection changes.

    I love my Kindle!!! No more dusting a library worth of books, moving them place to place or selling them at yard sales ;-)
    Ah, that was a question that one of the other members asked, i.e. would she be able to read her emails with it. I was wondering that myself. Thank you.

  22. #22
    Power Poster Lacelady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    12,322
    Blog Entries
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Cindy2201
    I got my kindle a few weeks ago mainly for when we take our trips. I generally take 3-4 books to read while we are gone. I looked for quilting magazines for them but so far I haven't found any. I'm sure the books would be out there. Mine is the new generation one so it is 3G wi-Fi and wonderful! I listened to some of it when I first got it but doubt i'll ever do an actual whole book audio...reading adn listening just aren't the same.
    And is it really true you can read it outside in the sunshine? I don't think I would mind needing to have the light on to read indoors at night, but outside in the sunshine would be lovely. I just wish my camera had the same kind of screen - half the time it's guesswork as I can't see a thing.

  23. #23
    Junior Member katmom54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    So. Maine
    Posts
    185
    I have had a Kindle for about a year and love it...yes, there are plenty of books related to quilting - just about anything is available...and when you have a Kindle account with Amazon, you can do a free download of Kindle for PC so you can read anything on your computer that you have loaded on your Kindle, so patterns etc are large enough to see or print. I load how to books, cook books, text books etc and have them easily accessible on the Kindle and the PC...

  24. #24
    Senior Member stefanib123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    645
    I have the Sony Reader, and I've downloaded tons of free PDF files of quilting books that I've found for free.

    I think there's a program that will let you use regular PDF's on the Kindlle, too.

    I put a lot of patterns on it this way, too, that way if I'm out and about, I can quickly look and see how much and what kind of fabric I need.

    Just about every free pattern on the web is a PDF, so its worth it for Kindle owners to get a conversion software.

    The Sony will read all formats, though. So, you don't have to convert anything if you have it.

    The ipad is what I'm wanting now! That sucker is awesome!

    Here's a thread I started, and I listed a few of the places to get free crafty ebooks:

    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-53392-1.htm


    As for regular books, this site is AWESOME! He's got tons and tons of book for FREE! Even if you dont' have an ereader you can "read" these on your computer. Its here:

    http://www.truly-free.org/

  25. #25
    Super Member Dina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    5,408
    I have had a Kindle for two years and love it. I didn't think I would, as I really really like holding a book in my hands and turning pages. However, with my Kindle I can change the font size, order a book at midnight and get it in one minute, and much more that I don't even know about. (There is a keyboard that I don't know what to do with. :) ) I have about 80 books.

    The BEST thing is that when I have already ordered a book, it tells me I already have the book....I tend to forget if I have read a book. Sad, but true.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.