Kitten Adoption Tips

Old 09-26-2010, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by dotcomdtcm
Help please. DD2 wants 1-2 kittens. We have never had pets.
She is dealing with animal rescue, etc. I insist on short hair. What else do I need to know? My friend said watch out for houseplants. We have a large apartment. They will not go outdoors. I'm just the Mom who can't say know. Oh yes, daughter is 22 and will pay all expenses!
First, you must put away ALL of your glass ornaments. Kittens see the whole world as the playground. I have replaced all of my glass Christmas ornaments with the plastic ones from big box stores. They look just like the glass, but no vet bills for cut kitty paws. I use strings of Mardi-gras beads cut in three instead of tinsel on my tree. Looks fabulous and doesn't attract the cats. I use scotch tape along the top edges of anything I don't want them to jump on. It only takes a couple times of being stuck to the tape, and they can smell it, and will stay away from it. Good luck!
Old 09-27-2010, 02:38 AM

Orange striped boys have the sweetest personalities and are very engaging with people. Kudos to your daughter for wanting to get two---all animals need one of their own species for company and play!
Old 09-27-2010, 05:12 AM
Lyn

Originally Posted by bearisgray
I think de-clawing a cat is a terrible thing to do to it. Last time I checked into it, the whole end joints of the cat's toes is removed.
How would you like to have the last joint of your fingers cut off?

One can clip and file their nails so they are less sharp.

The animals probably don't think that having their sexual organs removed as being "fixed" - but it makes their owners' lives easier.

Some plants are poisonous to animals. You might want to check that out.

I am sorry I am a little frustrated. I know there are good families out there. We just rescued a declawed older cat that had been outside and unable to survive. She weighed 4 lbs when we got her. She was 10 yrs old. Whether she snuck outside or was put outside it was unfair. She was starving to death.They cannot survive or protect themselves. Declawed cats can go to biting to protect themselves. We have had plenty of those given to us. Get several scratching post for them to scratch. Trim their claws, and for a short time you can get double sided tape that they hate the feel of and put it on your furniture. Another thing I have heard is to put orange peels next to furniture. Cats do not like the smell. This has been untested by me. I have 8 cats all indoors. They get along great, no one is declawed, all use scratching posts. If I can just get them to quit shedding I would be happier. :) Two kittens are great together. They don't get lonely and most mischief is with themselves. Clean the litter box every day and there will be very little smell. Cats do not like dirty litter boxes and will do their duty next to the box if it is dirty. If you want to use clumping litter use it when they are older. The clumping can stick to kittens privates parts and cause them to be unable to potty. Okay I am finished.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
I agree, declawing is not good for the cat - it makes them feel defenseless and thus changes their personality for the worse.
It is actually illegal in some countries, that tells you something.
I don't agree! The de-clawed cats don't feel defenseless. They don't even know the difference. Most are declawed only on the front, leaving the more important hind claws intact, so they are able to defend themselves quite well. I've even known of cats with no front claws that could still climb trees. The front claws are used more for catching prey than defense, and how many strictly indoor cats have to catch their own breakfast?
Old 09-27-2010, 06:44 AM

My Vet said no to declawing my kitten. She said it's inhumane. You have to watch thread. My kitten got ahold of a bobbin, with thank goodness, very little thread on it. I caught him and started pulling it out of his mouth. He was alright but it could have been worse. Could have twisted his intestines and killed him. He also has a love for rubber bands. My daughter was here and left one that he got ahold of and started eating it in pieces. Now I have to look for pieces in his stool. YUK!!!!
Old 09-27-2010, 08:16 AM

I have 1 male and 1 female. Had them both declawed & neutered when they were tiny kittens. They would "play" and end up scratching each other , my little girl got her eye scratched. They had no problem and they now are 11 years old. The only recomendation is keep the litter box and as the kittnes get bigger get a bigger litter box.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:21 AM
Power Poster

we are adopting from Bide-a-wee in westhampton Beach.
just as we were about to walk out the door with Zoey, they said they found ringworm on another kitten,Zoey doesn't have it. that waas 4 weeks ago. the place is on lockdown,no one in or out.
I did not tknow that ithis is mange, and that it its airborn,. we can get it too. breeders and other places aren't as careful, it cots a fortune to clean up, you need to steam clean all furniture and take meds toget rid of it. I guess it's good they found it b4 we took here. sofar she's clean,l but we can't get here till next week,.\
Good luck
Old 09-27-2010, 09:24 AM
Power Poster

Also, i let the cat pick me, not tme pick the cat. I sat in the room and waited for a kitty to come sit in my lap. that way, i knew he wanted me too
Old 09-27-2010, 09:39 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by lynnie
Also, i let the cat pick me, not tme pick the cat. I sat in the room and waited for a kitty to come sit in my lap. that way, i knew he wanted me too
That might be the best way - I think you were wise.

We've been feeding a stray for about three months now. He is getting almost demanding about getting food, but no way is he going to let any of us touch him. But we are still trying!
Old 09-27-2010, 10:56 AM

DO NOT GET YOUR CAT DECLAWED. A lot of vets won't even do that because it affects the cat's personality and if the cat did by chance get out, it couldn't defend itself.

Don't get the scratching posts that are just carpeting wrapped around a post, get the sisal kind, it's like a rope and it's wrapped around a post. That is the closest you'll get to a tree and they last a long time.

Giving them something that looks like carpet will only tell them it's ok to scratch the carpet.

I've always had better luck with girls, because boys will spray, especially if you have more than one. Plus the girls tend to be more intelligent.