Kittens in the Coal Mine

Old 08-09-2010, 04:02 PM

aww I'd keep all three and keep them together... My family is all from kentucky and our coalminers too
Old 08-09-2010, 04:20 PM

Wish I lived close to you. I want a kitten so bad. Lost our dog 5 years ago and decided it was too emotional losing them and didn't want a pet again. But, now, I miss a pet in the house. We had two cats and the dog and all of them passed away within one year of each other. The kittens are so beautiful and look so cuddly. LOL Hope you are able to find good homes for them.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:32 PM

We raised a litter of 5 on the kitten replacement formula with eyedroppers and syringe until they were old enough to nurse from a bottle---did feed them every 2-3 hours for awhile. They all did fine and I still have 2 of them>(found good homes for the other 3 ) Oliver and Sally are my joy(and quilt inspectors)
Attached Thumbnails attachment-94734.jpe  
Old 08-09-2010, 06:42 PM

O.K. Are the cats huge or the bed small?
Old 08-09-2010, 06:52 PM
Dee

They are so precious. I had the problem once and mixed can milk and karo syrup for 11 puppies. All turned out healthy.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by elizabeth
O.K. Are the cats huge or the bed small?
It's a full size bed----maybe the quilt pattern makes it look small, although the vet tells me that Oliver is part Maine coon and they are large.....
Old 08-09-2010, 07:35 PM

I'd be careful about putting them in your bed. My friend adopted a baby too little to be gone from mom, fed her around the clock, and had her on the bed. She learned to "dig" in the blankets to do her business rather than a litter box, and never did get the hang of the box, preferred fabric (carpet, bedding, etc.). They eventually had to find a home where she could be an outdoor cat.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:41 PM

i'm sorry that you didn't take the mother. imo, they all would be better off if they nursed from her. even though she's feral, she could have lived outside. eventually she would have trusted you enough to be 'your' cat. many feral cats become tame even though they prefer never to live indoors. the kittens would have been indoor/oudoor cats. she should also be fixed up so she doesn't keep producing kittens, no matter how cute they are. sometimes a vet will discount or even not charge for the service. if not, find one that will, through a no-kill shelter.

good luck with those adorable babies. how old are they? remember to make them independent when they're about 4-6 weeks old, even though they stay with you. that's the natural order of kittens and mommies.
Old 08-10-2010, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by stefanib123
Look what hubby brought home last night! Three little kittens!

My husband is an underground coal miner. There had been this cat running around up there for the last year. It was wild, wouldn't let anyone touch it or even get near it. So, the miners would leave food for it, and all the miners started bringing cat food for it.

It winds up pregnant, and still won't let anyone anywhere near it. It has the kittens. They looked everywhere for them, and couldn't find them anywhere. She was a wiley mommy, she hid them well.

Fast forward a 4-5 weeks and the kittens started coming out! She had them down inside this concrete block like thing. They found 6 kittens.

Ok, now here's the funny thing. They found another mommy cat ran over in the road in front of their mines. They looked and looked for her kittens and couldn't find them anywhere.

A few days later, they go back to try to see the kittens, and there were 10 kittens now! They think that mommy cat #1 got the dead mommy's kittens and is taking care of them!

The kittens were eating good, so they all decide to take them home. My husband got 3. BUT, they are TINY. I think they were too small to take from the mommy, really. Two of them are eating great, like little pigs, the other one is really skittish and isn't eating at all. I'm going to try a dropper with milk, and see how that goes. It may be sick, poor thing.

The little white one is so TINY! Its about a fourth of the size of the other two. Its so sweet, its played with me all morning! They've(the kids) named it "Diamond", because coal turns into diamonds. Poor little thing was covered in coal dust when they got here.

Now, I've got to find some homes. I can't keep them all 3! But, I really want to, lOL!
Awww I would take all if I were near you!!! They are so sweet and cute! :mrgreen: :thumbup:
Old 08-10-2010, 05:13 AM
Power Poster

Holy Smokes, those are BIG kittys!! And very cute!!!!!!!!!!!