Kittens in the Coal Mine

Old 08-07-2010, 08:30 PM

if you can't find kitten milk try some lactose free milk, good luck with diamond hope she starts eating soon,
Old 08-07-2010, 08:31 PM
Google Goddess

cute kittens, glad they saved them
Old 08-08-2010, 03:56 AM

I do Boxer rescue and 'specialize' in taking care of newborn puppies and kittens for our local shelter.

WalMart does have kitten replacement milk. Ask the pharmacist for a medical syringe without the needle. Use it instead of the dropper. You can give the plunger a little pressure and it makes it easier for the babies to get the milk. They don't have to suck as hard as they have to with a bottle. I have had lots of babies that can latch onto the tip of the syringe and you can actually see the plunger move.

Do not use the milk replacement for puppies - it does not have the fat level that kittens need. Kittens are much more delicate than puppies.

Make sure that you wash their faces after every feeding. Since they came from a coal mine, they are going to be very high risk for eye infections. It is best to wash their faces with saline solution - the same that you use for contct lenses.

If you have any questions, let me know. I have been doing this for 20+ years. It is not unusal for them to settle quickly and usually become extremely loving and outwardly affectionate. Just like most rescues, they seem to know that their lifes have been saved and are saying thank you for the rest of their lifes. The momma cat was feral and has probably been mistreated by people in the past. For the babies - people are just an unknown factor, not something to be afraid of. Love the pictures. Make sure to keep us updated on their progress.

OH - when the vet does open, purchase a tube of NutriCal or the equivelent. This is jelly like stuff that is packed with the vitamins and minerals that they need. I have had sick animals basically live on it for a while. They can get all of the nutrients that they need from the gel. Just squeeze out a pea-sized ball on your finger tip and smear it on the roofs of their mouths. They will react violently the first few times, but get used to it quickly. They do like the taste of it, even though it doesn't look like it. :thumbup:
Old 08-08-2010, 04:39 AM

Jrhboxers(and everyone else)Thanks for all the info!

I got the kitten formula and they love it! But, I had to get up several times last night to feed them so I've had no sleep at all, LOL! They cried about every 2-3 hours until I got up and fed them! I slept with them in a box by my head, LOL. I wanted to sleep with them in the bed, but I was afraid I'd squish them or they'd fall off, LOL! They do not like the box. I've got the indoor crates for my dogs, but they can get out of them.

Something else they are doing: I let them out in my sewing room yesterday and they cluster around my feet and cry until I pick them up and hold them. I swear I think they miss their mommy and want me to be their mommy! I can't believe how quickly they have taken up with me.

I'm getting so attached to these little boogers, I may just keep them all, LOL! The rest of the family is, too.

I have Nutrical already. I have to keep it for my chihuahua that is a picky eater. So, how many times a day should I give it to them? My dogs love it, when they see Tweak (my chi) getting it, they beg for it!

I've been afraid to bath them, where they are so small. I have some "puppy wipes" like baby wipes, that I got most of the coal off them with. Would it be ok to actually bath them? I wear contacts, so I have plenty of saline solution,too. I would have never thought about using that!

I'm afraid to worm them. I've got the Drontal pills and the Nemex liquid(I've got 5 dogs, LOL, so I've got lots of supplies), but I'm going to take them to the vet tomorrow, and see what he thinks about their age, etc.

Two of them was playing with yarn yesterday! They had a ball playing with it. The little tiny white one chased it across the room, he runs FAST!
Old 08-08-2010, 04:57 AM

It sounds like you all are bonding! Thanks for taking such good care of them.

I nursed 2 newborn puppies, and had to fed hem every two hours! I was glad to see them grow healthy and not need the every 2 hour feedings. I had to wipe their behinds with a warm wet Q-tip to stimulate that end because they were so young. They lived in a shoe box for a couple weeks!
Old 08-08-2010, 05:37 AM

such cute babies. One thing a vet told us once when my son had a kitten was to feed it canned cat food, mixed with warm water, so it was kinda like soup. You can use an eye dropper or get a special bottle from the pet stores. Wish I was closer and didn't already have 4 kitties!!!
Old 08-08-2010, 05:39 AM

For the first few days - 3-5 - I would give them Nutrical two or three times a day. This just gives them a little boost for right now. They are definitely warming up but this is still a total shock to their system. You have to be able to anticipate their needs right now. This is the time when most of the orphans are lost. The shock to their system is not handled and they start to fade. Just remember, you cannot give them too much good stuff. Oh, and make sure that they have access to fresh water. They won't really know what it is right now, but they will quickly figure it out.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by jrhboxers
For the first few days - 3-5 - I would give them Nutrical two or three times a day. This just gives them a little boost for right now. They are definitely warming up but this is still a total shock to their system. You have to be able to anticipate their needs right now. This is the time when most of the orphans are lost. The shock to their system is not handled and they start to fade. Just remember, you cannot give them too much good stuff. Oh, and make sure that they have access to fresh water. They won't really know what it is right now, but they will quickly figure it out.
It seems like they aren't drinking any water at all! I make sure they have fresh at all times, but I've never seen them drink it.

Maybe they are getting enough with the formula?

We are going to the vet soon.

The little white one is a climber, LOL. He climbed out of his box, and came waltzing down the hallway into the living room, LOL! I was shocked! The box is pretty high, I never thought he'd be able to climb it. I think he was coming to find me. He always wants me to hold him. I can keep him in my lap almost all the time, he's so tiny you can't tell he's there!

My other cat is finally warming up to them. He was scared of them at first. He's a big scaredy cat, lol. But, he's curled up asleep with 2 of them in their box right now.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:40 AM

[quote]It seems like they aren't drinking any water at all! I make sure they have fresh at all times, but I've never seen them drink it.

Maybe they are getting enough with the formula?
[quote]

If they are not drinking the water, for one or two feedings a day mix the formula with water - about 2/3 formula and 1/3 milk. they will still be getting their nutrients - especially with the Nutrical - plus the necessary hydration. To check for dehydration pull the scruff of their neck up - if it stays or goes down slowly, then they need hydration. Ask the vet. I do sub-q fluids on mine if necessary - but my husband is an EMT and can do IVs.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:00 AM
Power Poster

LOL, it sounds like you are getting attached!!!!!!! I dont blame you, kittens are so fun!